Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82714 times)

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1665 on: July 12, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
All sorts of "necessities" are going to fly out the window for Water-food-and possibly power, - at the end of the day, these are the necessities. And food no more means pree-cooked or trucked chicken-like with a dozen materials in the sauce...just anything that will keep you alive....
And if it would go on? City folks in very big trouble. As for cultures, there are possibly some paralelles in war torn Europe and USSR during and after WW2.
Very tough life  it was, while the people tackling it at the time were still mostly of much tougher and nature-based roots than the generations in the west today.
The difference is that people have changed since then, we have become fluffy, you say, we as a society will not accept that we can't have a big meal. It will not be nice when this happens.
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1666 on: July 13, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
Exactly my thoughts.
People are more ready to make riots and shoot each other dead rather than grab the fork & shovel and swallow some..."pride".
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1667 on: July 13, 2008, 08:05:21 AM »
geeze.. you guys are depressing.   Everything will be fine.   what we need we will figure out how to get.  The planet is not going to burn up any time soon and there is plenty of food for everyone except the ones who breed like rabbits in areas that won't support a rabbit.. 

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1668 on: July 13, 2008, 08:17:12 AM »
Everything will be fine.....
Could that be a quote from Hitler in the Bunker, or the captain of the Titanic  :devil
As for food in places...go to the great plains of the USA in the depression years.
Too late to tell the bunny not to breed when the hunger hits many years later.
Now we may be depressiing...but we choose to face the possibilities with an open mind and try to form some countermeasures instead of sticking the head into the sand  :devil

edit: The morbid possibilities of a food collapse due to lack of pollination applies mostly to the USA.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1669 on: July 13, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
geeze.. you guys are depressing.   Everything will be fine.   what we need we will figure out how to get.  The planet is not going to burn up any time soon and there is plenty of food for everyone except the ones who breed like rabbits in areas that won't support a rabbit.. 

lazs

Lazs last time I looked you had quite a few arms. You are not worried about the end are you. :rofl In the future our security, food and energy will be the most wanted items. Everything else will be minor when compared. With out our climate (environment) staying half stable we will run short on food quickly.

Try and find how much food is left in the strategic food stocks, I think you will be surprized. :O

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1670 on: July 13, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »
In my country we only produce 50% of consumed calories on the market.
If there is times of truble though, we could eat our fish exports....providing we had oil.
No oil + no impoer means starvation within the month. The country supplies buffer lasts for a week.
In WW2, the UK relying on their imports and logistics from their vast colonies, had to start rationing while still in the "phoney war"...

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1671 on: July 13, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »
Every ones strategic food stocks, are down.

Check out what the Mountain Pine beetle is doing to the forests that once used carbon now they are producing carbon. :aok

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1672 on: July 14, 2008, 01:20:55 AM »
Heres a link for the Pine beetle

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/mountain_pine_beetle/

Be sure to check out the maps and you can see the devastation they already done. :aok

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1673 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:49 AM »
So basically it's a result of milder winters.
We're having that here as well. Potatoe fungus is now a constant. I showed up once in the 50's then since 2000 or so it is there to stay.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1674 on: July 14, 2008, 08:05:30 AM »
yep.. we're all gonna die!!!

I have guns because of what panic does to people and.. the normal old criminal type.   You guys shouting "the world is ending" sure stir up the natives.. the riots start and then eventually end.   nothing really changes but the panic.

shortages are mostly artificial brought on by panic mongers like yourselves.. you will die in a panic and then your kids will live a life of panic because of what you taught them.. they will see every little glitch as the end and point at poor old dead dad who "predicted" this shortage way back in ought 8....

I need guns and food stores to get through the riots and panic guys like you cause.

lazs

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1675 on: July 14, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
Everyone is going to go through some rough times. They will get rougher than they are now.
Why? The outcome of Doomsdayers and the teeth gnashing. When it stops the false inflation will stop.
Simple.
At any rate, if I couldn`t cook a fish without oil I wouldn`t hold out too much hope. :)
That`s the leat of your problems.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1676 on: July 14, 2008, 04:30:31 PM »
Wonder what it takes you to have second thoughts. Probably disaster when it's at your doorstep. And well before, you'll have been growling because of inflation, stupid economies and so on.
Mankind had it's rough days since the civilization in some form was born. Much of the trouble was what mankind was doing to mankind, not necessarily the nature. Yet, things proceeded with some disasters for some 7000 years.
Now we face that we lead a style that is taking us to the edge of the cliff in some 100 years. And the way we proceed will not last long.
Being vastly much knowing about technology and such than our ancestors, one could think that we'd be better prepared for some natural disasters.
Well, it seems not...and another abnormality is that now what nature is doing might be traced back to ourself.
Lazs cannot eat his gun, nor can he get in a firefight with mother nature in a pissed off mood.
And Jackie, try to catch deep-sea fish from 900 fathoms without applying anything than sail and rope....then try cooking it without fuel :D

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #1677 on: July 14, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
Oh Angus you have really bought into the old global warming thing, hook, line and sinker.
Now we face that we lead a style that is taking us to the edge of the cliff in some 100 years. And the way we proceed will not last long.

I find it amazing that a denizen from a country as inhospitable and barren as Iceland, whose people have survived for centuries in a landscape that looks like the moon or somewhere even more inhospitable. Where food is grown in greenhouse complexes which resemble a science fiction version of a base on Mars, should have a such a wholly pessimistic vision of the future.   Iceland should by rights be empty of people. Yet there it is, thriving.

You really need to be a little more skeptical of the rubbish being talked about in relation to climate change. Even if you truly believe that we humans are changing the climate in a measurable way. You really must be able to question some of the so called 'truths' we are being constantly fed.  It cannot all be true and it's becoming increasingly clear that much of it is to put it frankly, fantasy and speculation. You comment above is a classic of the type. It has no scientific basis whatsoever. It's a pure soundbyte.

Of late, I have been having difficulty finding people who really believe in AGW. It's not as if I spend a lot of time with gun toting, cigar chewing, right wing conservatives either. If I bring up the subject it's usually in a neutral even joking manner. I have been surprised at the intensity of the comments made against the global warming issue. Even those who you might expect to believe in it express skeptical views and often declare that at least it will reduce pollution. This ignores the fact that CO2 is not a pollutant as such.

The fact is that the global warming lobby has overplayed it's hand. The truth if it's there is lost in a sea of hype. 'You can't fool all of the people all of the time' as a famous man once said. That's what's happening now.

A bit of skepticism would do you no harm. 

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1678 on: July 14, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »
....then try cooking it without fuel :D

If you are caught without fuel, in any circumstance, then like I said, that`s the least of your worries.
Fuel to cook with is about the most abundant thing, in many forms, that there is. Remember...we are talking DOOMSDAY here.  :rofl
I know, I know.......it does no good to even think about it-------> WE`RE DOOMED.
Now serving number 10001101.
Angus, ever thought about getting into AMWAY? :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:09:39 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1679 on: July 14, 2008, 09:19:56 PM »
yep.. we're all gonna die!!!

I have guns because of what panic does to people and.. the normal old criminal type.   You guys shouting "the world is ending" sure stir up the natives.. the riots start and then eventually end.   nothing really changes but the panic.

shortages are mostly artificial brought on by panic mongers like yourselves.. you will die in a panic and then your kids will live a life of panic because of what you taught them.. they will see every little glitch as the end and point at poor old dead dad who "predicted" this shortage way back in ought 8....

I need guns and food stores to get through the riots and panic guys like you cause.

lazs

Lazs We are all preparing in our different ways some of us have enough weapons to arm a small country. Some of us prefer to plan and prepare by storing food and energy. That doesn't mean that we don't have our own arsenal but that we may have it buried some where. :aok