Author Topic: S! from a newcomer  (Read 676 times)

Offline GoldenP51

• Zinc Member
S! from a newcomer
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »
S! all,

I just wanted to say I'm really excited to finally have the money and time to play this game.  I used to play CFS and some of CFS2 and 3 but I didn't like those ones as well as the original.  I also have played AH before, but it was about 3 years ago and I am on a big learning curve.

I am particularly interested in fighters and bombers.  Are there any solid planes for a new person to the game to practice with?  In other words are there a few easier planes to learn to fly vs some of the others?  I hope to get a trainer, and I did get 2 kills in my Hawker Hurricane today which I am very excited about :P

One of the things I love about this game is the willingness of people to help and the massive tutorials online ready for reading.

Speaking of which I'm going to get back to reading, just wanted to introduce myself and ask that question.

Thanks,
GoldenP51

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:16:59 PM »
Welcome to your new addiction! :t

Most people start out with a Spit16/Nik/LA/Pony...they are the "dweeb" planes...but the best to start with.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:19:14 PM by SpikesX »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:26:07 PM »
As Spikes said, welcome to ours and YOUR new addiction :t  Strap in buddy, it's a long ride.... well worth it also :aok

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:31:38 PM »
, welcome. Please watch your step as you enter the addiction. The white zone is for loading and unloading of squeakers. :D

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: S! from a newcomer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 08:17:18 PM »
Originally posted by GoldenP51
Speaking of which I'm going to get back to reading, just wanted to introduce myself and ask that question.

Welcome!  Don't forget to stop into the Axis v. Allies arena and check it out.

- oldman

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:32:20 PM »
A Pony is good to learn in?

donkey
2sBlind

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 09:01:59 PM »
Greetings,

If I may steal a recommendation from an other poster, I would like to recommend the following book for your amusment.  The book is called 'In Pursuit' and while not The Bible of Shaw, it does offer some unique insights and explains somethings in laymans' terms.  Link follows:

http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/

Also, it is free in PDF format.

Regards,

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:23:28 AM »
Spits are good planes to start out in as was previously recommended as they seem very forgiving to fly and turn well..

Personally I find the Spit 8 easier to fly than the 16 doesnt have as much of a punch though.

Welcome <>

Offline reeb

• Copper Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 06:08:13 AM »
P40!

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 08:15:34 PM »
welcome aboard sir  

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »
Welcome to the asylum.

Couple of things here.  First and foremost don't be afraid to ask questions.  You'll get a couple of smart A##ed remarks from the peanut gallery but, for the most part, the accomplished sticks want to see you get good.  Much more of a challenge to fight.  For the record I am not one of them. I play this game for fun, for the community, and general relaxation.  

Spend time in the Training Arena.  Not only is it fun to fly around without worrying about getting shot down generally speaking the junk talk on 200 is limited.

Talk to the trainers.  They are a hand picked group that really know how to explain things in detail.  Go to http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ to see schedules and write ups about how to do almost anything.  Also check out http://www.netaces.org for more info.

Most important.  Initially you'll see your skill ramp up exponentially then level out and this can cause frustration.  When this happens ask one of the trainers or an accomplished member (Skyrock, Dedalos, Simiral, Rowdy1, etc,) to work you through some things.  

Additionally your score and ranking mean squat.  The most important measure is are you having fun?  If the answer is 'yes' then don't worry about people griping at or about you.  

If you have account issues, want to change your game handle, hardware issues, etc.  Don't hesitate to contact HTC directly.  Their customer service is hands down the best in the business.  

Best of luck to you and if you see me in the TA (Dichodog is my in game handle) feel free to use me as a target drone.

Lastly.. have a thick skin.  Some people like to talk smack.  In the end it really means nothing.  If this is your style have at it.  If not just laugh at / with it and drive on.  It is the intardweb and a lot of people have more 'keyboard courage' than actual spines.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
Originally posted by DoNKeY
A Pony is good to learn in?

donkey

Honestly?  In my opinion .. no.  But that's me.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
p 38 l or j and or become a nother p 51 noob
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline GoldenP51

• Zinc Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 12:48:31 AM »
S!

Thank you all for the replies, lots of things for me to look into and lots of good advice here!

GoldenP51

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
S! from a newcomer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »
id put the spit 8 and five on that list five in early or mid war, takes a little skill but the f6f and 51 are great rides when u learn the limitations i love dive bombing in both f6f and p47. just not much of a good fighter in the jug but it zoom climbs like a rocket.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V