Author Topic: Elementary education for squeakers  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Elementary education for squeakers
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
Originally posted by Neubob
I've noticed that the newest batch of teenagers doesn't just lack basic spelling skills, but has completely turned its collective back on punctuation too. I won't even start on grammar, because that ship has evidently sailed and sunk years ago.

I blame this problem mostly on modern communication trends, namely the current obsession with text and instant messaging--two things I use on a daily basis myself but never had available as a child.

My wish is that AH somehow fixes this. Make the squeakers less ignorant... please? Teach them to use letters to make proper words, and words to create readable, recognizable human speech. If necessary, make them sound it out.

And do teach them that those funny dots found at the ends sentences are only their to help. Teach them that commas are not to be feared! Teach them that they will NOT get more women, or automatically be handed a career in hip hop just because they sound like they learned English in prison, or worse, on AIM.

For the love of god, please please please....
As evidenced by your own hand, grammar is very difficult to master. (See highlighted text in your quote, it should say "there")

I look at it this way.  I bet these folks don’t really write like that, they are just lazy.  My wish would be to figure out a way to get kids to understand working for something is a success of its own and any cheap way to success isn’t a success.

If I can’t read what they say, I just ignore it..
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
Elementary education for squeakers
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2007, 05:11:53 PM »
Yeah, I think I provided an acknowledgment of that mistake earlier on in this thread. It was the result of a poorly proofread edit, and not intentional.

Language should be second nature--like walking. People who can't walk right are considered handicapped. The only difference here is that a person can always fix their problem through practice.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 07:49:40 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
You're in the group.

I never said I was perfect, but atleast I try. :aok
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline ColSuave

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »
I've noticed that the newest batch of teenagers doesn't just lack basic spelling skills, but has completely turned its collective back on punctuation too. I won't even start on grammar, because that ship has evidently sailed and sunk years ago.

I blame this problem mostly on modern communication trends, namely the current obsession with text and instant messaging--two things I use on a daily basis myself but never had available as a child.

My wish is that AH somehow fixes this. Make the squeakers less ignorant... please? Teach them to use letters to make proper words, and words to create readable, recognizable human speech. If necessary, make them sound it out.

And do teach them that those funny dots found at the ends sentences are only their to help. Teach them that commas are not to be feared! Teach them that they will NOT get more women, or automatically be handed a career in hip hop just because they sound like they learned English in prison, or worse, on AIM.

Yea, i hear i you, but i wouldn't say teenagers as a group. A lot of people that cant spell anything are adults, and the biggest portion are the 5-10 year old squeakers. I don't, well at least i don't think, I spell anything wrong. Sometimes people just abbreviate words so they will fit in the small radio box AH gives us.

Oh yea, the comma thing in that paragraph would fall under that grammar ship that sunk. I don't ever see people use commas in their sentences on AH. A lot of the time not on the forum either. Mainly, because they are complicated to use and there are so many that can go all over the place. I'm willing to bet that I have misplaced some of my commas.

And remember Cmustard's famous quote, " Spelinge dos not mattar, its wats inside."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:36:14 AM by ColSuave »
the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
Originally posted by raider73
yes TxMom i do act stupid on purpose. I do it because it makes people laugh not at me. i'm a class clown and i just am lazy

It is one thing to 'act' stupid and have people laugh with you.  I, for one, am not only a fan of such behavior but have perfected the art.  

That said when I converse with Subway, Oogly, and Latrobe, I do not consider them my mental inferior and actually give credence to their point of view.  Not only because they spell correctly and make attempts to punctuate their posts but because of the way they comport themselves in a mixed environment.  In fact the first time I had a pm conversation with Latrobe I had no idea he was so young.  I could have been talking to people I associate with in the business world every day.  That says a lot about not only these young men but about their parents as well at least in my eyes.

Bottom line is if you want to be taken seriously by anybody other than the people in  your age range / demographic it is imperative that you attempt to express yourself in a manner that shows you have not only intelligence but the social skills to express yourself in an acceptable form.  

It is one thing to abbreviate words for the sake of convenience when text messaging someone on a cell phone (which I abhor but will not discuss further here) and on a written communique with a full functioning keyboard especially if English is your first language.

Lastly describing yourself as 'class clown' and 'lazy' does not bode well for your future young man.  I hope you have some manual labor skills when you graduate or you may be setting yourself up for some hard times in the future.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »
Today's class clown will become tomorrow's village idiot

I been around my share of class clowns. To me, they look and act just like mentally retarded individuals that forgot to take their daily medication.

And if they claim they dont want to do *insert task here* because they are lazy, then I hate to see what their parents are like. He has a bright future ahead of him of mooching off welfare because he is too lazy to go out and get a job
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007, 11:53:46 AM »
Here's a real world example for the 12-25 yrd old folks here:

In my last job I had to interview people to fill in a couple of entry-level positions. No experience was necessary, only minimal computer skills needed (aka you know how to open a program in windows and you had to be familiar with Outlook and MS Word) and a high school diploma.

I received 30 something applications for the positions. All applicants were between 18 and 25.

I'm not the type to interview people to ask them questions that I can be lied to about.. i'm a practical person. My interviews gave the applicant a hypothetical scenario and asked them to get on the computer/phone and show me or guide me through the steps he/she would take to try and deal with the issue.

As I worked for a travel agency, the scenario I used for that batch was a simple problem of a client being overseas and the hotel he had booked through our company could not find his reservation and the hotel claimed that our company had never made a reservation for this client. After giving the scenario to the applicant I told them that our system received e-mail confirmations from the hotel itself on a daily basis and that he could find a copy of that email on the outlook program and that usually what we did was send a copy of that email to the hotel manager to get this resolved.

note: spell check was disabled on the system.

And that is when I could really see the applicant's true skills at work.

Out of the 30 something applicants, 4 couldn't use Outlook (but claimed they could in their resume), about 12 of them simply attached a copy of the hotel's confirmation email, typed in the subject 'here's the confirmation email' and clicked 'send' (out of those 12 only a few bothered to put anything in the body of the email).

Those 16 people I immediately dropped from my list.

The remaining 14 people put in a decent subject 'title' on the email, attached the file and wrote a short letter to the hotel manager. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

However, we only had 3 positions open. Out of those 14 I gave the jobs to the 3 that had the best spelling and grammar (some of those had horrible spelling and some sentences made no sense).

Instant messaging / text messaging spelling and grammar does not work in a business environment. You may think that you can 'switch' to professional way of writing when you need it but it is not true. Once instant messaging -type spelling becomes a habit it will become the way you write and express yourself.

I cannot tell you how many emails from travel agencies and clients around the world I would receive on a daily basis that had 'lol' and :) signs all over the place .. and this was on legally binding BUSINESS agreements over email.

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »
i'm dyslexic (is that right) and i had c and B is english over here in blighty. I had to work maybe 5 times harder than any of my freinds who had A+ . But i see that as a good thing. I hate lack of gramer and lack of punctuation.
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline raider73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
HEY who said i was to lazy to get a job. I just happen to be a carpenter and Landscaper work with my dad and then in summer landscape thank you very much.:aok :furious

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

Cumon dude mizspeling is kewl:lol  seriously the understanding of english spelling by most of our younglings is appaling!
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline raider73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »
well you don't have to spell everything rite read this reply if you can as YES I CAN

Body: I Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!if you can raed tihs rpsoet it. OLNY RSEPOT IF YOU CAN RAED TIHS.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2007, 04:02:33 PM »
Hooked on Phonics :aok

:rolleyes:
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline raider73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
lol its the human mind if you can't read that then must not have human mind its easy:aok

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »
It's easy to read that but first you must know how to spell those words and understand how the English language works.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2007, 05:25:04 PM »
That passage uses proper punctuation--something you don't know how to do. That helps a great deal with its coherence.