Author Topic: Carrier Turning/Takeoff question  (Read 415 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Carrier Turning/Takeoff question
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »
It has come to my attention (rather abruptly LOL) that if the carrier is turning during your takeoff it can have a negative impact.  If this is true, how do know when the carrier is in the process of turning?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
best bet is to watch and see if the clouds are moving at sea, close to shore, you'll see the movement. For a take off in these conditions, I've found a set of peddals to be an absolute must. Rudder control is key to a successful take off when the carrier is turning. It can be done using the keyboard, however, your takeoff will NOT be pretty. But most of the time, without peddals, you'll be in the drink 9 out of 10 times while the ship is turning
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:16:50 AM »
Look at the CV's wake.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:24:01 AM »
Look at the wake and use your rudder to turn in the direction of the CV.  You don't need pedals.  I've got a twisty and have no problem getting off a turning CV.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
I didn't think you could collide with a plane from your country but apparantly you can on a carrier takeoff and why when taking off some tiand need to correct with rudderme you start heading for the bridge

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »
You cant collide with a friendly under standard arena settings.  However some times when the task group is making hard maneuvers, a support ship can pass through the carrier.  Parts of the secondary ship are high enough to reach above the flight deck, and it can collide with a players plane.  That might be what you've experienced.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 10:40:36 AM »
Originally posted by flatiron1
I didn't think you could collide with a plane from your country but apparantly you can on a carrier takeoff and why when taking off some tiand need to correct with rudderme you start heading for the bridge

probably turned rudder wrong way lol

i have a twist stick and i hav no problem taking off and landign on a turning cv.
if your landing you just gota use rudders and lag the turn until you get close enouf to touch down. helps a lot if you come in a little hot and dont drop gear till the last min.
youll probably land sideways but thats better than ditching. once your down you can taxi a little to straighten out.
also if your on the deck but blew by the cables put full flaps all the way down and reve the engine up to about 15 manifold just until the nose raises and the wind starts to roll you back you can taxi back to the rearm and take off again.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 06:20:18 AM »
If you are spawning a new plane, go to tower after selecting loadout and look forward/right. If the destroyer is straight and stationary, it's a good time to try.

If you choose to launch while the CV is turning or it begins to turn after you spawn and you have auto take off ON, hit X right away. The delay when it cuts off on it's own as you try to get manual control can cause over compansation.

After that it's all about rudder control. The only planes that give me a hard time are C/D-Hogs with full ordanace. I take less fuel than I'd like to. Seems to give me a little more wiggle room on the flight deck not having to have as much E at the end to stay airborn.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 07:10:32 AM »
You can also use F3 or F5 + F8 view to look around from outside the tower. Zoom out with the ] key and you'll have a bird's eye view using your top hat.