Author Topic: your take on AH  (Read 2342 times)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
your take on AH
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 05:15:31 PM »
It's an entertaining hobby for me.  I much prefer doing this over watching TV or getting as drunk as a lord down the boozer every single night.   A bit of fun winning fights, taking bases and a bit of a laugh with the lads so's to speak.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
your take on AH
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I watch KPD and hit%, and I watch how my KPD breaks down among and against certain planes. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have an Excel spreadsheet...

Sounds familiar to me... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
your take on AH
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 05:45:08 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire

I find the parallel between golf and AH to be very accurate. [/B]

+1

Same damned thing.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
your take on AH
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 06:08:07 PM »
I've been doing it a long, long time as have some others. I guess I can say, "been there, done that" but I still enjoy some time in the MA.

I keep looking for Betty but I just keep missing her. :)

My own personal enjoyment comes from trying to get the new guys up to speed to a point where they can give lotsa folks a good fight in the MA. It helps them to have fun and makes the fight for the vets a little more enjoyable. I like to think of it as a "win-win" situtaion for those in the game. I suppose I'll continue to teach. It's been my way of giving back to all the years of fun flying I've had on line.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
your take on AH
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
it is my best time killer .. to take it too seriously, denotes something lacking elsewhere ..

Pretty much sums it up for me. I've been doing this long enough that caring about being "good" is something that has no interest for me. It's just a place of entertainment. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
your take on AH
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »
This game is/was a good way to pass time. I used to spend my evenings watching alot of tv and now i spend much of it playing games AND watching tv. In the winter I'm playing this game unless there is a Penguin game on.  It's cheap entertainment when you think about it. Heck, I could go out to the bar with my friends and spend $15 in about 5 minutes. My wife doesn't complain too much (at least I'm home and not doing the "bar" thing).

However, I find myself starting to get pretty bored with this game lately. The only thing thats keeps me coming back is the friends that I've made while playing this game.

Sometimes the best way for me to have fun (unfortunately) is to start some smack with another player to get things "going". I find that I play much better when I'm a little worked up.:rofl  But, when it's over and I log off I forget EVERYTHING . So if you are one of these people that I've done this to...please don't take it personal. (if you do i kind of feel sorry for you)

Too many people seem to forget this is a game:(

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
I play for short periods of time during the week, so it's a hobby, and I don't really give a damn how good or bad I am. Nobody else has to tell me I'm a p***-poor fighter pilot.:D It's a social outlet for me, a chance to B.S. with the friends I've made here.

On weekends, I get a little more obsessed, especially as the alcohol intake acculmulates. I like to try to generate interest in coordinated efforts, and I get asked to do so quite a bit. I tend to try to escape from my rowdy children through this, but it doesn't always work.

All in all, my take on AH is about fun & friends, not scores, ranks or stats.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
your take on AH
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
its a escape route from a **** real life. I like "pretending" im something im not, Its great being a pilot in WWII (AH) just the same as i like being a city planner (SC4) or some general with lots of panzer divisions (HOI 1).

However at the moment im so down i aint even enjoying escaping...
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »
I could have built a full-size 3 story house out of toothpicks in the time I've spent online in this game....fortunately, I already HAVE a house
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire

I find the parallel between golf and AH to be very accurate.
lolz, yeah.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: your take on AH
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »
Originally posted by storch

do you have any goals for yourself as it pertains to AH?

i've been playing soccer /euro football , and like in soccer , AH was in my view  a team oriented game, i never care about my score ,killz and skilz 1vs1, the goal was "win the war", or stop the other team win, since arena split and caps  no team can win  in 4 arenas: the goal is dead ,so is my appetiite for game
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:17:07 PM by ghi »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
your take on AH
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 10:18:13 PM »
ok.......to me, this is an escape from reality, but it has its catches too. i love to furball, although i suck at it. unlike others have stated, i really don't care one way or another if i win or lose the fight......i like the rush i get out of the fight. same when i attack bombers.....i actually get a rush stalking them, and trying to set up the perfect attack...waiting for the right time to dive in on them, the right angle etc.
flying bombers...it becomes totally different.......now it's a mission......only 2 things matter now....first get my load on target, second, get home.

goals? well? bombing is too easy, mostof the time.........my main goal is to get good in a 1-1 fight. i do ok in furballs, but that's because no one can afford to stay on a single target too long. in 1-1, i really do poorly, even in the spitfires and hurricanes. i aspire to get better in these situations first in the easy planes, then ultimatly in the P-38.

now, i have a question for you storch.......any time i've seen you in combat, you look like you're very good......why is it you've never thought of helping others here, or going to TA or even DA to help others learn? you say most of your kills are easy ones, and helping teach us noobs the skills would only serve to give you better fights.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline HGpappy.BG

• Zinc Member
      • http://138thAvationRC.webs.com
your take on AH
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »
Hey! am I in the rite room? I thought my AA meeting was in here:rofl

I will stand up to say that AH was an obsesstion to me, it's in my blood, but the Doctor says that Im much better now, I have gone cold turky. No more sleepless nights, no more cold sweats because there is six Bf-109's on my tail, I don't shout "CHECK 6, CHECK 6" for no reason at all anymore.
Thank you HiTech for helping me kick the habit

|HG|Pappy.BG
(retired AH pilot 99-07)
Honor Guards

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
your take on AH
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
I only started playing because I knew I'd get a chance to talk to my father if he was logged on.  Later I got hooked ~ but I don't give a hoot about #s.  Maybe if I ever get into a plane & learn to fly it I'll enjoy that enough to care about the stats.  For now I'm just having fun in the gvs (they allow me to afk whenever I want, for however long I want)...  And enjoying the few kills I get. :)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
your take on AH
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Likewise.  All my life I've wished that I could take some sort of time machine and be a WWII fighter pilot.  When "B17 Bomber" was released for the Intellivision I was in hog heaven.  I'm learning to fly real planes now, but I find that I'm distracted from that life-long goal by AH2.  That's the strength of the WWII fighter plane draw on me.  It probably explains why I'm such an AvA fanatic.

Win, lose, draw, I really couldn't care when it comes right down to it.  I have to do that stuff for a living, I don't need to repeat it in my leisure time.  The quality of the historical fight is everything.

So, yeah, I guess I'm obsessed.

- oldman

Yep, that's it for me too.  It also offers me a place to share all those years of researching and reading about the history too.  I probably get as much enjoyment from that, and helping the skinners then I do from flying AH these days, if not more.

It's as close as I'll get to flying a WW2 bird and pretending to be one of the folks I've spent so many years trying to learn about.

I can't get caught up in it as a win/lose thing.  Real life has far too much at stake for me to make the game matter that much.  Do I do my best and try and win the fight?  Sure.  But as long as I don't really die and get a new cartoon airplane, I can't put that much energy into setting myself up for a no lose situation.

Give me those moments where the game can suck me in and for a brief instant, think I was 'there', and that's enough for me.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters