Author Topic: GPS Units  (Read 846 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
GPS Units
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 01:16:30 AM »
Originally posted by E25280
And now "they" can track your every movement . . . :noid

How can they do that?  The GPS unit does not transmit anything.  Only way would be if you use your cell phone with the blue tooth and even then the gps doesnt send a signal, the phone does.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
GPS Units
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 01:32:04 AM »
I used mine this weekend.  We went to Kansas City to a TSO concert downtown in the new Sprint Center, which is slated to replace Kemper Arena.  Anyway, I have never been downtown in KC, only in the southern part of city twice.  It was foggy, freezing drizzle, 20degrees, very low viz, etc etc.  When we got out of the concert, it is like usual for events of large amounts of people, you get sent in all directions to get you out of there.  

The little gal that lives in the gps unit told us what direction to turn, how far the turn was ahead, whether to turn or not at an intersection, etc.  For instance she said to turn left in .5 miles then at .1 reminded again then it dinged just before the intersection to indicate this was the one she wanted.  Right after that she would tell you whether your next turn was left, right or straight ahead and for how far ahead your next move was and would even announce the street and exit ramp names.  Sometimes you have to turn left then immediately be in the proper lane to turn right in say a block or two, and the gps knows this and tells you.  

Anyway it really helped us as like I said it was foggy and bad conditions and it really helped us get out of there quickly without all the backtracking to get the right street and on and off ramps located so we could get the heck outta dodge.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
GPS Units
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 02:15:56 AM »
Originally posted by Rondar
How can they do that?  The GPS unit does not transmit anything.  Only way would be if you use your cell phone with the blue tooth and even then the gps doesnt send a signal, the phone does.

For the most part, the average GPS unit is a receive only unit. There is another type of GPS unit which is a transponder type, that relays a location over a wireless network to allow companies who deal in logistics, transit, law enforcement, public protection services and wayward spouses :lol to trace the movement of their assets.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 07:54:10 AM »
Originally posted by FBplmmr
I can't see spending hundreds of dollars for a map.

If I am going out of town I just google.

If I am in town I don't need a map.. I already know where I am.

If I somehow end up in a new town unexpectedly, I just stop and buy a map.

Ditto.

And Texasmom.
Your more of a real man then 90% in this thread.

And I mean that in a good way..well for you anyway.
For the 90%.
Not so much
;)

GPS = another step in the sissification of men
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK

GPS = another step in the sissification of men

I wrap the raw meat that I slaughtered with my buck knife in old maps. Then I use my GPS to help me walk outta the mountains with 300 lbs. of raw meat on my back. Sissy!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
GPS Units
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
call me a sissy.. I like em.   I like to travel.  I like to get off the beaten trac..  My girlfriend can't read a map and I can't read one while I am driving.   I don't like pulling over to read some old outdated map.    I can... but

why?

lazs

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 03:03:23 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I'm in the full size 4wd area and am looking at Garmin.

I'm considering either the Quest or Legend HCx.

Seeif you can find a Garmin 2720. They are discontinued, so i got one for about 370$ It was a really high end unit, and comes with a wireless remote.

The nice thing about it for offroad use is, it loads Garmins TOPO software as well. Garmin Does not support it but it works well. So you use the stock road map to get to the trail area, then switch to the topo maps and you are set off road.

Garmin updates all still work. I have the current citymap NT and TOPO on it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
GPS Units
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
Originally posted by Pooh21
does it have a German chick voice?

can you adjust the interface language?
My Garmin C330 does..  It has several languages..
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 03:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
My Garmin C330 does..  It has several languages..

My Garmin 2720 has several voices you can select.  Including a chick with an aussy  accent, but we couldnt figure out everything she said, they call offramps something else lol.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
GPS Units
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 03:40:23 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
call me a sissy.. I like em.   I like to travel.  I like to get off the beaten trac..  My girlfriend can't read a map and I can't read one while I am driving.   I don't like pulling over to read some old outdated map.    I can... but

why?

lazs

That hit the nail on the head lazs .

I can read maps fine but my wife can't very well . I have the same unit that Hajo has Garmin 350 , my oldest got it for us . I tell you it most likely saved my marriage :P hehe .

We drive alot to my youngest house , and that takes me through Chi Town , this is a nightmare without the GPS . My wife calls the voice Thelma :) , I like to call her me my "bi tch" hehe . That does piss my wife off a bit .

Best is getting lost and it finds you a new route right away , or if u want to go eat in a strange town , will show you closest or what ever eat place you want . Chinese , American , etc , etc . Same with motels etc .

Great tool IMO .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
GPS Units
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »
Amen to all those points, airspro.  My wife also is challenged by maps.  Maybe that's why the Garmin Nuvi is her new best friend?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »
Bah!
For thousands of years men have been able to find their way from point A to point B without a GPS.

Give it another 10 years and you all wont be able to find your way to your bathroom without em.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 11:48:48 PM »
Originally posted by Rondar

Thats what THEY want you to think, and don't get me started about the anal probes being installed in all new car seats from 2008.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
GPS Units
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 03:00:01 AM »
:rofl :noid
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
GPS Units
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
yep.. I also like that if I decide to go off my chosen route.. I like to do that.. the thing will always get me back on track.. it recalculates the route...  I know that isn't as manly as just stopping, setting up the laptop and google maps and then printing one out but...  works for me.  

It simply cuts down on the girlfriend angst.    detours..  trips into big cities on the way.. fog.. weather..  poorly marked roads or not marked at all..  

I like to travel but I don't like to argue with the person I am with... this cuts that down to almost nothing.

lazs