Author Topic: GPS Units  (Read 847 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
GPS Units
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:40:59 PM »
I'm kind of looking for a portable GPS unit.  I figured I would spend upwards of 300 dollars.  Can I get a good one for that?  Or what do you guys that have one recommend?
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
GPS Units
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »
As in a car one? Or outdoors one?

I like TomToms and Garmins for cars.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
GPS Units
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »
I'm in the full size 4wd area and am looking at Garmin.

I'm considering either the Quest or Legend HCx.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »
It's doable. It all depends on how many bells and whistles you want in the unit and what you intend to use it for. Are you looking for a road data base style unit or just positioning data?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »
I have a Garmin 350. No complaints. It really becomes a cruch though. I find it much more difficult to remember directions to a place after using it.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »
My iPAQ has internal GPS with TomTom. I like it because it's in my phone, not tethered to my vehicle. I just ordered a new MotoQ. I think it has TelNav GPS.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
GPS Units
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 01:22:01 AM »
I ended up buying a Magellan 4040 GPS, as when I read some reviews on the tom toms, people complained they were not accurate, ie on the wrong side of street, wrong roads, etc.  I suppose none are 100% accurate 100% of time.  This one came with a usb cable, a/c adapter, 12v cigarette lighter plug, various mounts, and a storage bag.  Some other units I looked at didnt have the accessories included like the a/c adaptor/battery charger or the 12v plug.

Anyway this is what I bought and should work fine in our van.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 01:30:23 AM »
Just got my MotoQ and I'm less than thrilled. It's much less of a user friendly PDA.  Seems TelNav is a software program using GPRS not GPS. My iPaq had internal GPS hardware. I thought the MotoQ did also, seems it doesn't.

Does anyone know if I can run my TomTom software on the MotoQ using a bluetooth reciever?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
GPS Units
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 05:26:31 AM »
<---- SE P1i phone with bluetooth GPS unit that sits on the dash in my car. Works well enough for me.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
GPS Units
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 06:28:12 PM »
Our Garmin Nuvi 350 has become an indispensable member of our family.  My wife has never loved any gadget as much as Jill (our favorite Nuvi voice).  

Great in the car and great walking around (battery good for something like eight hours).  For more than two years Jill has guided us flawlessly with visual and voice, and is especially valuable at night and in bad weather when difficult to read maps or see street signs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 06:30:59 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
GPS Units
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 06:49:41 PM »
I got the wife a Magellan Maestro 3500, it works great.  Her new Volvo XC90 has a built in nav, but she prefers the portable Magellan because the software is better.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
GPS Units
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
wimps. i still use the maps.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
GPS Units
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:24:27 PM »
(quote) wimps. i still use the maps. (unquote)

TxMom, you are in for such a treat when you get your first Garmin Nuvi 350.  This is a real good time to have a little chat with Santa.  :D
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
GPS Units
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 01:12:03 AM »
Bought wife a Garmin ... she loves it ... never saw the need myself ... moss grows on the north side of the trees. :D:D:D
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
GPS Units
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »
Originally posted by texasmom
wimps. i still use the maps.

maps? who needs maps once you leave the house?

memory and roadsigns is all you really need.