Author Topic: Where were the sane licensed carrying gun owners in all this?  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
Where were the sane licensed carrying gun owners in all this?
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:00:40 AM »
A few well placed shots from a skilled and licensed carrying gun owner would have pulled the plug on this guy and promoted the 2nd amendment, yes? no? maybe?

Nine dead in Nebraska mall shooting --> http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2007/12/06/america/OUKWD-UK-SHOOTING-NEBRASKA.php

Instead we see this: excerpt --> The Nebraska shooting was the latest in a series of mass killings that have shocked the United States, where gun ownership is widespread and the right to bear arms is a fiercely contested constitutional issue.

TIGERESS

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Well it's obvious that there just aren't enough guns in the hands of average citizens. Other wise I'm sure some John Rambo closet type would have saved the day for sure.
"strafing"

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:14:35 AM »
Nebraska is a far cry from Texas.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
Here's what will happen:

The anti-gun types are going to blame it on the proliferation of guns in private hands and use it to promote their agenda.

The pro-gun types are going to blame it on the absence of guns in private hands and use it to promote their agenda.

Nothing will be resolved and the cycle of politically skewed statistics and name-calling will continue. :rolleyes:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »
the mall is probably a "safe, gun free zone", so you won't need a gun there, after all, there is mall security to protect you.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »
I don't know about where you live Tigress but I have seen several malls that list themselves as gun free zones, just like schools. If, and I have to say if since I don't know, Nebraska does not have a CCW permit and if the mall is listed as gun free then there wouldn't be anyone there carrying outside of Mall security if they are even armed. There are too many unknowns to be able to say if it is even possible (legally) for anyone to have been able to stop this nut job.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 11:21:15 AM »
Gun free zones = Nutjob's Safety Zone

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV

[SNIP]
Is society to blame for this young man's actions? hard to say. we dont know what shaped his mind and we dont know exactly how his life developed from childhood. to be honest all i do know is that he let himself down (or was let down by society?) in the worst way, took a deep and thoughtfull mind and turned it to evil and insanity as a way to escape the reality he created around himself.

so why would a soul continue to create a reality that needed escaping from? one possibility is that we all crave a reason to live, some of us crave more than others and imaginations are the key to creating your life to be worthy of continuation. this person lost any reason to live, by his own fault or other's matters not. I think it is a growing increase in the evidence of humanity falling off the right road in evolution. more and more people are growing up and lacking any reason to live other than thier own deluded fantasy and in an age where huge populations are no longer restricted with inhibitions and the fear of punishments for thinking outside the box there is only going to be an increase in these sick individuals venting on our children and loved ones.

Hate to say it, but told you so...

thread
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline shamroc

• Copper Member
Re: Where were the sane licensed carrying gun owners in all this?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 11:27:30 AM »
Originally posted by Tigeress
A few well placed shots from a skilled and licensed carrying gun owner would have pulled the plug on this guy and promoted the 2nd amendment, yes? no? maybe?

Nine dead in Nebraska mall shooting --> http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2007/12/06/america/OUKWD-UK-SHOOTING-NEBRASKA.php

Instead we see this: excerpt --> The Nebraska shooting was the latest in a series of mass killings that have shocked the United States, where gun ownership is widespread and the right to bear arms is a fiercely contested constitutional issue.

TIGERESS

What troubles me is how the facts are already being distorted for political reasons - everyone  in the media seems to be reporting that the weapon used was an "Assault Rifle" (which was not the case - it was a conventional semi-auto carbine).

Bottom line - Nebraska has no concealed carry law - and IMHO that prevented anyone from stopping this maniac. :(

shamroc

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »
That is a hard question.
 I do have a carry permit and would I have fired? It really depends on the situation. There is a fine line between self defense and taking the law into your own hands. If I was with my family or buy my self when that started happening in front of me, yes I would shoot in a heart beat, but If there was a clean way out for my family then I would take it and get them out.
 A permit to carry a gun is just that. It is not a badge nor does it mean that a person carrying a gun “has” to get involved in gun fights. Does it happen, yes we do read about it when a person shoots another somewhere to save the lives of others, but understand this is still a very grey area in many states.

Some questions you might ask your self if you think this might happen and you have a gun.

If I shoot this person, am I going to shoot someone else? I saved the day by killing the shooter, but one of my rounds kill a 6month old baby behind him that I did not see. Can I live knowing that I killed a child?

Whenever you use a gun in self defense you will have to answer for it. It might be clear as to what happened and the local DA will not file charges. The again, if you stay and shoot the person, one of the question you will be asked and have to show (usually at the seine) how were YOU threatened/ Did YOU have a way out? Why did YOU take the law into your own hands?

If you start shooting, will others think you are part of the problem? Will you get shot by the other good person trying to stop the shooter?

Can you live with your self if you duck and run and many others are killed?

This is really not a question you can ask where there is a simple answer. It will be different for everyone you talk to. Most will say, I’ll shoot the guy”. Well they just might, but no plan works out the way you think when the lead is flying.

All you can really do is keep practicing with your gun, Think up shooting scenarios could happen at the places you frequent. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Keep an eye on the quickest way out. Keep an eye on you family. Also it is very important that you are also a good witness for law enforcement. What were they wearing, color hair, close and stuff like that.

For me, I shoot with my carry about once a month. I pay extra for “frangible” ammunition that when it strikes something hard it breaks up into a fine power to help prevent ricochets.

This is not a perfect answer, because there is none. Everyone will respond as to there own abilities.
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Gun free zones = Nutjob's Safety Zone

yeah... ensured the nut jobs will have no opposition.

I have never personally seen a mall security guy or gal with a gun.

Thanks guys for cluing me in on Nabraska's carry gun law and "gun free zones."
I am admittedly not up on that stuff.

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:37:56 AM by Tigeress »

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Where were the sane licensed carrying gun owners in all this?
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:34:32 AM »
Originally posted by shamroc
What troubles me is how the facts are already being distorted for political reasons - everyone  in the media seems to be reporting that the weapon used was an "Assault Rifle" (which was not the case - it was a conventional semi-auto carbine).

Bottom line - Nebraska has no concealed carry law - and IMHO that prevented anyone from stopping this maniac. :(

shamroc

I looked at the NRA web site and it said thay have a shall issue law?
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »
Good post Phaser11...very good.

Perhaps it will give some perspective to the wannabe John Wayne types around here.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
the mall is probably a "safe, gun free zone", so you won't need a gun there, after all, there is mall security to protect you.

i was on a first name basis with some of the guards in that mall as a teenager.

:cool:

(no no....just spend alot of time there.)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
See Rules #4, #5
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 02:20:24 PM by Skuzzy »
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"