Author Topic: i need help finding a plane  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
i need help finding a plane
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:23 AM »
1, B-26s, "I blew up another CV last night".

2, B-17s,"I blew up another strat last night"

3, KI-67s, "I blew up 2 bases worth of ords last night, took the heat off my team at a TT, and then sent a 262 running home with its pants on fire".

Why would anyone want to fly anything else.?:D
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 08:01:07 AM »
The Zero isen't to bad. Most people will tell you to stay away from it but it does make a great plane sharpen up on your SA considering most people see you as an easy kill due to the idea your a flying match. I would suggest the A6M5b model but if you really want a challenge you can try the A6M2 model.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 08:26:36 AM »
The problems with the hurricane, zero etc is that they dont encourage proper ACM development. You dont learn the true values of throttle and rudder control or use of the verticals. Nikki or a Ki-84 would be better choices then either the spitty or the zeke. IMO Ki-61 one of the best planes to learn on. Good views, good handling, good zoom and nice all around handling with a good gun setup

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: i need help finding a plane
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 10:18:01 AM »
Originally posted by DEAR98
ok i got it down to FW190 P-51s P-40
and if you can please help to get me better at like some tips

As these posts show, there are lots of good "first" planes.  You might be better able to assess them based on what NOT to fly at first:

- Don't fly the early or mid war planes in the late war arenas.  While these earlier eras have some of the very most enjoyable rides, those rides require a certain amount of experience to handle against clearly superior aircraft.  You should be spending your early months learning how to keep from stalling, how to utilize the throttle, and mastering some air combat maneuvers.  So leave your last choice, the P-40E, for another day.  It's a lovable plane, but it's for later.

- Don't fly the known pigs.  Despite the protests of their dedicated admirers, all (that is to say, "all") of the Focke Wulfs fall into this category.  I would put the Typhoon in this class, too.  So leave your first choice for later.  Much, much later.  If ever.

- Don't fly the hard-to-master-but-great-fighter planes.  Learn the basics first, then graduate to these guys:  P-38s.  Corsairs.  Me-109s.  P-47s.  (I actually put the Ki-61 in this class, because I think it's harder to learn to fly well than some of the other posters think.)

- Don't fly the planes that teach bad habits.  Because their guns are so spectacularly good, the Hurricane IIC and Nik encourage you to take easy shots, rather than concentrate on good flying.  The Russian La-7, although quite maneuverable, combines good cannon, a very high speed and truly dreadful cockpit visibility.  These three factors encourage new pilots to use it as a boom-and-zoom ride.  You may end up flying this sort of style, but you want to do it by conscious choice after you can fly other styles.

So what's left?  Lots.

- For the first few months you fly, you should properly expect to get shot down on nearly every flight (some of us never leave this phase).  If you would like to get a few kills during this period, the Spitfires are absolutely your best choice.  Easy to fly, great guns, very maneuverable, they only lack high top-end speeds.  This makes you stick around for the fight, thereby actually teaching you how to fight.  The Spits are the classic new pilot planes (some pilots never leave this phase).  

- If you are a hard core type who does not get depressed by constantly losing, then pick one of the good, but somewhat more challenging planes.  The P-51s fall into this category, as do the Yak 9-U, Ki-84 and Hellcat.  (Maybe the C.205, although I have some doubts.)

Whichever you choose, force yourself to fly it for a few days.  Unless you're in love at that stage, switch to one of the others.  Sooner or later you'll find one that fits your desired qualities, and you can stick with it and focus on the air combat part of this game.

- oldman

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
Originally posted by humble
Spending some time in the TA is more important then the specific plane you choose. A little training early goes a long long way. ..

Agree here 100%.

AH is NOT a game you can figure out on your own. Look at it this way: Planes have been flown in combat for almost 100 years, and the trial and error stage didnt last long. So there are rules of thumb and tactics that have been tested in real life...if you know what the experts have found works, you can save yourself...umm...a hundred years of trial and error?

My biggest regret about my first year in the game is that I didn't get help from trainers right off the bat. Even now, playing for about 4 years, I still make a point of getting tips, and sending short films for better pilots to point out mistakes.

Recently someone posted a pretty accurrate comparison between AH and golf. They made a long list of similarities, but there's one other -- you shouldnt feel bad about asking the Pro for tips!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
This is just me... and it probably doesn't go for many others. But I've always found internet sources to be my best resource for learning. Between Net Aces, Soda's Aircraft Evaluation, or even the training page on  Hitechs site have helped me a long way. Thats not to say I haven't learned a few good tricks in the TA,(where I learned most of my merge tactics for my Zero) but I'm not much of a visual learner. I seem to work better by reading up on things, re-reading it, then putting to the life-fire test at the end after I've thought it out in my head. Pretty much to summarize this, the websites dedicated to Aces High Combat are just as resourceful as the TA. :aok
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 03:23:09 PM »
No question that static sources are essential. But applied knowledge comes thru instruction and interaction. The only way to practice ACM is to do ACM.

ACM isnt really plane dependent, its situation dependent. While certain planes have advantages in some aspects very little is absolute. The greater the specific advantage the less true gain the pilot makes in exploiting situational advantage. So a player who starts in a plane with a clear exploitable advantage actually will struggle more in a "lesser" ride later vs a player who starts in a more "average" ride.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline VonKost

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 03:52:39 PM »
I probably did it wrong, but i just picked my favorite and fly almost nothing else while reading what I can and always being willing to learn from others. I'm not to good yet, but I've finally worked over 1.00 K/D ratio and things keep getting a little better.

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: i need help finding a plane
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
As these posts show, there are lots of good "first" planes.  You might be better able to assess them based on what NOT to fly at first:

- Don't fly the early or mid war planes in the late war arenas.  While these earlier eras have some of the very most enjoyable rides, those rides require a certain amount of experience to handle against clearly superior aircraft.  You should be spending your early months learning how to keep from stalling, how to utilize the throttle, and mastering some air combat maneuvers.  So leave your last choice, the P-40E, for another day.  It's a lovable plane, but it's for later.

- Don't fly the known pigs.  Despite the protests of their dedicated admirers, all (that is to say, "all") of the Focke Wulfs fall into this category.  I would put the Typhoon in this class, too.  So leave your first choice for later.  Much, much later.  If ever.

- Don't fly the hard-to-master-but-great-fighter planes.  Learn the basics first, then graduate to these guys:  P-38s.  Corsairs.  Me-109s.  P-47s.  (I actually put the Ki-61 in this class, because I think it's harder to learn to fly well than some of the other posters think.)

- Don't fly the planes that teach bad habits.  Because their guns are so spectacularly good, the Hurricane IIC and Nik encourage you to take easy shots, rather than concentrate on good flying.  The Russian La-7, although quite maneuverable, combines good cannon, a very high speed and truly dreadful cockpit visibility.  These three factors encourage new pilots to use it as a boom-and-zoom ride.  You may end up flying this sort of style, but you want to do it by conscious choice after you can fly other styles.

So what's left?  Lots.

- For the first few months you fly, you should properly expect to get shot down on nearly every flight (some of us never leave this phase).  If you would like to get a few kills during this period, the Spitfires are absolutely your best choice.  Easy to fly, great guns, very maneuverable, they only lack high top-end speeds.  This makes you stick around for the fight, thereby actually teaching you how to fight.  The Spits are the classic new pilot planes (some pilots never leave this phase).  

- If you are a hard core type who does not get depressed by constantly losing, then pick one of the good, but somewhat more challenging planes.  The P-51s fall into this category, as do the Yak 9-U, Ki-84 and Hellcat.  (Maybe the C.205, although I have some doubts.)

Whichever you choose, force yourself to fly it for a few days.  Unless you're in love at that stage, switch to one of the others.  Sooner or later you'll find one that fits your desired qualities, and you can stick with it and focus on the air combat part of this game.

- oldman

I totally agree except for the P51, IMO the P38 is allot easyer to fly because it can turn allot better then the P51 and has a better gun package.
I should put the 51 in the 38,47, 109 list.
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »
Der Messershmitt Bf. 109 G-2.

Turns great, fast, climbs well, pretty versatile. The standard gun package is fairly weak, but if you're going after bombers or other tough targets the gondolas make it a pretty deadly aircraft. In any other case, DO NOT take the gondolas, as they kill performance. And watch airspeed- it compresses at around... 400MPH? I fly mainly based on feel, not on gauges, but I think its around 400. The elevators are heavy by that time at the very least.

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
When I came over from WB...CO DH367th  said  Pro  get in a spit or nikki and u can't go wrong.  Think these two birds would be best to start out with...they are both good stable platforms to learn just the basics....think at this stage lookin for the best turner or best BnZer is alittle early.  You need to learn the feel of the planes in the AH atmosphere first.  Totally different then any other flight sim.
My $.02
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 05:53:11 PM »
I'm not sure that you have any set right answer here. But here is my fundemental question as a trainer (going back). What am I teaching? Most of the arguements I see in favor of certain planes center on making some aspect of the game easier. To me this is somewhat short sighted. It takes a certain amount of practice to learn to fly "reasonably" well, but once you can do that then other things take on greater importance IMO.

As a newer player the question "what am I learning?" should be at the for front. Plane dependent pilots develop plane dependent tendencies vs situational flyers IMO. This is a clip from yesterday that high lights the issues to a degree.

The pilot in question is primarily a spit driver. I'm not sure how long he's been flying but he's reasonably proficient and I've had some fun fights with him. This clip rolled after the "merge" I didnt have the E to rope him and had to bail off the perch leaving him 600-800 out when I hit record.

In then end we trade some lead and both auger at the end. I'm still working my way thru the A-20 (amazingly adaptive ride) and on one hand you see me stuggling with E, angles and orientation while he is trying to fly aggresively but much more in a "poiny my nose at you and pull" style typical of a learning "spit driver".

We're "seeing" to totally different fights....

A-20 vs spit9

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Re: Re: i need help finding a plane
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731

are you ciding the yak ki-84 and hellcat those are some of the best planes in the game but for beginers the yak might be a problem because it only has 120 rounds of the dedly shevak 20mm (you must get into tail chases because you canot do snap shots)
snowey flying since tour 78