Author Topic: Missing Files From Terrain Editor  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
Missing Files From Terrain Editor
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »
I downloaded the latest Terrian Editor form your site and I got everything started and installed. First thing I do is read the help file and it says " There are four terrain sizes supported by Aces High:  64, 128, 256, and 512 mile terrains.  Standard terrains in the Main Arena are 512 miles.  Four templates marked with 25 mile sector lines are provided in the ../HTC/aheditor/terrains/maps directory. " I went into ../HTC/aheditor/ and found that there was no terrains folder. I need to get into that directory to get the 64 mile terrian template. Please help me or send me the missing files. Thank You, Shadow

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »
The help files are 95% accurate and are complete enough to build a terrain but that particular part is out of date.

Use the menu command File/Make Map.

Convert the new bitmap file 'map.bmp' into 256 color.
Rename it .bmp
Create a new folder inside your project folder and name it 'texsrc'
Put your 256 color version of the bitmap into the texsrc folder.

Welcome to the Terrain forum.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:50:49 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »
Yep what he said pretty much...and welcome to the terrain forum..

Midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
Another question
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
Thanks for the help. I have another question though about the terrian editor and making fields. Do you have to place every object down to make a field (hangers, ammo, radar, ect.) or is there a premade Object group that already has everything need for a field that i can just plop down? I also have another problem. I made 1 field on a single map and placed all the required objects for a field in an area. I then made the map started Aces High, and selected that map and selected "Practice Offline(or something like that)" I started to load the map then the game crashed. Please help. I also have one more question. Can you edit a premade map? Thanks so much HiTech Creations!
Thanks,
Shadow

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
There are premade object shapes that have almost everything needed.  Under the Object Tab in the Terrain Editor there is an Available Shapes list box.  As an example, look for lafld0.  This is for a large field and will have all the hangers, ammo, fuel, radar, etc. needed.  If you want to add this field, first place checkmarks for Grid and for Snap in the Terrain Window Options in the lower left of the Terrain Editor.  This will show you the terrain tiles and let you select the exact center of a tile.  Click the center of a tile to place a red plus where you want the file to go.  Click the Add Shape/Group button to place the field.  An Object Properties window will open.  Set the Object Type to Group Master and give it a file and zone number.  Then click Ok to close the Object Properties window.  Fields need map rooms and they normally get them using the town0 object.  Find town0 in the Available Shapes list box.  Click the center of a different tile and click the Add Shape/Group button.  The town will also be a Group Master with the same field and zones number you used for the field.  Vehicle fields are an exception to using towns because they have there own map rooms.

If you want to save yourself some time, make your new field and town a Shape Group.  You will click and hold the left mouse key to drag a box around your town and field.  Start with the town and drag just past the center of the field.  If you do it properly, both the town and field will be selected and the red plus will be in the center of the filed.  (Remember the Snap checkbox?)  The location of the red plus will determine where the group will be place in relation to the red plus used during the add shape process.  Click the Save Shape Group button in the Selection List box to open the Group Name window.  Give the group a unique name like Tlafld and click OK.   You will have to close and reopen the Terrain Editor to refresh the Shape Group list box to get your new group to show.  Now when you need a large field and town just select your new Shape Group and click the Add Shape/Group button.  This time a Select Field window will open where you just have to choose a field and zone number.

The game crashing with your new map (called a terrain) can be cause by a lot of things.  Obviously there is something wrong with your terrain.  Open the Terrain Editor and go to the Objects Tab.  There is an Obj Report button that will open and Object Report window.  Click the Check Terrain button and see what comes up.  Fix any problems and check for errors again until there are no errors found.  Save your changes, close and reopen the Editor and then build your terrain.  Copy your new version into the Aces High folder and see if the game will run.

You can not edit a premade map unless you have all those source files.

Good Luck.

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 04:31:42 PM »
Thank You So Much Sir! You really saved me alot of time on this. Do I need to set the object hardness, point value, or downtime for the fields or just leave them at their defaults (-1.000, -1, -1.000)? Is there any thing else in the properties window I might need to adjust? And if it is not out of your way, you know how shapes in the Avalible Shapes window are shortened and coded? Maybe you could send me a list of what they all are if its not too much to ask.
Thanks again!
Shadow

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
Another Question
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »
Also, when I test my map my clipboard is empty. No map when I'm in the tower. I cant select which field to goto. Please Help.
Thanks,
Shadow

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Another Question
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
Originally posted by Shadow
Also, when I test my map my clipboard is empty. No map when I'm in the tower. I cant select which field to goto. Please Help.
Thanks,
Shadow
Second post in this thread.

-1 forces default in-game values.

V-base is Object Data 1, Port is 2 iirc
Search shpfilter
Search ship
SBs are battery/Gun Bat (bug fix fixed it a few patches back)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
Don't Understand
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:14:40 PM »
I dont think I understood any of that. Sorry I'm new.
Shadow

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:28:46 PM »
Originally posted by Shadow
Thanks,
Shadow
Re-read the second post at the top of this page

You asked about hardness, downtime and point value. -1 wouldn't be a legal value would it. Hence, -1 in-game, the default tables will be used for assigning the values.

Then you asked what else you 'might need to adjust', and you might want a Vehicle base or Port.

Then you asked how to tell what the 'codes' were. You will find many things in the Terrain Editor Forum have been explained and it's practical to use the Search button at the top of this page or better yet, back up one level and search only the TE forum. Hence, Search on the term 'shpfilter' and 'ship'. I probably should have said 'Task' as in 'Task Group' instead.

I tossed in the Shore Battery info because there's been some confusion about them.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »
Leave object hardness, point value, and downtime as the defaults if you are building a terrain for use in the MA.  I think the -1 values means to use the global arena settings for that type of object.  The only other property to watch is Object Data.  It defines what the object is, such as an air field vs. a vehicle base.  The Help gives a good explanation.

The most used shapes:

Available Shapes:
hq0 - HQ
aaafac0 - Thriple-A Factory
amofac0 - Ammo Factory
bacfac0 - Training Facility
cit0 - City
rdrfac0 - Radar Factory
fulfac0 - Fuel Factory

lafld0 - Large Airfield
mafld0 - Medium Airfield
safld0 - Small Airfield
vfld0 - Vehicle Base
port0 - Port

Shape Groups:
convoy – CV Group

Look in the Help about the shpfilter.txt file that is used to remove shapes that you don’t use.

If you don’t see any fields on the clipboard it probably means the fields are not set up properly.  Open the Terrain Editor and click Settings > Fields Setup to open the Field Setup window.  Check that the base number is assigned to the correct country and click the Standard button.  Click Ok to close the window, save changes, close and reopen the TE, and then re-build your terrain.  Check Help for more info on setting fields.

Steep learning curve and it usually take a few attempts to get that first terrain to work so don’t try anything too ambitious for your first attempt.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »
Hi MachNix, good to see you posting again.

Shadow isn't seeing ANY CBM in-game.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »
In the second post you said "convert map.bmp into 256-color" how would I do that? Also my map.bmp just shows water and a grid thats all. Is that supposed to happen?
Thanks guys!
Shadow

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 08:32:16 PM »
lol, brings back memory.

If you open that 'map.bmp' file and zoom way way in you'll see a tiny speck in the middle which is all the terrain type-tiles you've set in all that vast space lol, seriously that's all you've set but don't worry. There are tools to help speed the process later.

Now, as this is your first terrain, change the clipboard map size (CBM), don't worry, you can change it back later if you want.
Menu - Settings:Map Size change it to 64

Now rebuild the CBM
Menu - File:Make Map

Exit

Find 'Microsoft Paint' on your hard drive, you can search for other programs in this forum later but everyone has Paint buried on their computer.

Open your 'map.bmp' file with MS Paint and re-save it to your terrain folder using the 256 color option. While you're at it, re-name it to the same name as your terrain name. Now you'll have an 8 bit bitmap with 256 colors and if you saved in with the same name as your terrain, all you need to do is put it into the 'texsrc' folder you created after reading the second post in this thread.

That 'texsrc' folder is supposed to be inside your terrain folder and the path will be:
C:\Program Files\HTC\ah2editor\ahiiterr\\texsrc
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Shadow

• Zinc Member
Uh-oh....
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »
I opened AH Terrain Editor and it keeps crashing.... help? lol I can make a new one? be easier?
Shadow