Author Topic: Best Monitor  (Read 445 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Best Monitor
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:32:33 AM »
I dont know the technical terms but I have 17" square monitor at the moment and am thinking of getting a biger one a 19" square or after that they are all wide screen. Is wide screen better? What have people experienced as best?
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Best Monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:51:46 AM »
I moved this to hardware as you will probably get more responses.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Best Monitor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:20:40 AM »
I decided to order a wide screen (16:10) monitor but only after I confirmed that in Nvidia drivers you can force a 4:3 resolution so the upper and lower part of your screen will not be cropped but the sides will have black bars where the game screen does not expand.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
Best Monitor
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »
I've been running the ACER 22" al2216wbd for eight or nine months now, and love it. Aces works just fine on it, although, I sometimes have to lower my view to see some guages, but that hasn't been a problem at all.  All widescreens will exhibit this problem...

Mwave has it for $215.00 currently, but check out other sites to find the best price. Since Compusa is going to close it doors in 2008, you might watch their sales, as they've had this monitor on sale a couple of times already.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hmx?scriteria=4128426

Make sure you don't go higher then 5ms for any lcd monitor.

Wabbit
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Best Monitor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:04 PM »
The Samsung 226BW I have is simply stunning. The new version with wide color gamut is expectedly even better although I haven't seen it in action.

Just note that all LCD panels will suck in DX10 big time as there's no way to force vsync on. The result is horrible screen tearing.

But we all know DX10 is the biggest lie of the decade anyway, it's a step backwards in many ways. Basically they neutered the API by adding higher level code making it easyer for developers but way slower to process and limited functionality.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Best Monitor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
I scraped the idea of getting a 30 inch monitor and ended up with a 24inch Dell Ultra Sharp widescreen.  So far I love it.  Games look incredible on it.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain