Author Topic: Battle of Midway  (Read 2038 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:53:27 AM »
Midway

Japanese Air Attack on Midway, 4 June 1942
At 0430 in the morning of 4 June 1942, while 240 miles northwest of
Midway, Vice Admiral Chuichi Nagumo's four carriers began launching 108
planes to attack the U.S. base there. Unknown to the Japanese, three U.S.
carriers were steaming 215 miles to the east. The two opposing fleets sent
out search planes, the Americans to locate an enemy they knew was there
and the Japanese as a matter of operational prudence.

For Information about the AvA:
http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=44

Axis - Rooks
-A6M2
-D3A1
-B5N2

Allies - Knights
-F4F
-SBD
-TBM
-B26
-B17

Other settings:
kill shooter on
Friendly collisions are off
Fuel burn is 2.00
armored AAA at 0.25
hard AAA at 1.25
soft AAA at 1.25

We'll try these settings and see how it goes..  If the map doesn't work out for the AvA, i'll reload avasml with forks setup....

Allies

Axis

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
Biggest map Iv ever seen. It will take hours just to find a fight.

If I were you I would disable troop planes/GVs and make down times less then 5secs, and CV hardness at max. Theres going to be people trying to sink the CVs and ruining the fights.

Also since the map is soooo huge the fleets are pretty much going to be one huge one. So best bet is to make all ack 0.10 or so. You get within range of 2 or 3 fleets with all that puff ack its like people shooting 5"ers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:08:59 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
so you turned off dar? how else can this be "historic"?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:22 PM »
AAA has been changed to.....

armored AAA at 0.15
hard AAA at 0.15
soft AAA at 0.15

Bomber formations has been disabled....

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 02:13:56 PM »
I'm somewhat baffled as to why B-17Gs and B-26s and TBMs are enabled on a June 1942 setup...

Psssst! B-25C perhaps better than any of those.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:32:34 PM »
They may not be the exact models needed for the map, but they should be ok for subs....  the b-17, b26, and TBF were all present during the battle,,,  
However if it's hurts game play in the AvA they will be taken out...

Having taken off prior to the Japanese attack, American bombers based on Midway made several attacks on the Japanese carrier fleet. These included six TBF Avengers in their first combat operation, and four B-26 Marauders (armed with torpedoes). The Japanese shrugged off these attacks with almost no losses, while destroying all but three of the American bombers.[32]

Battle of Midway

Grumman TBF Avenger (designated TBM for aircraft manufactured by General Motors)

Photo #USAF 75712AC Hiryu Under B-17 attack at Midway

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 02:56:44 PM »
Well, technically the version AH has is a mid-1944 model, up-engined, and with wing hardpoints (and more fuel, I think). And according to the wiki link all of 6 made it into Midway.

I bring it up for the sake of debate. When the only plane the axis have is the A6M2, the TBM is pretty much overkill, and the B-17? Forget about it. It's a meat grinder compared to the B/C models around in '42. Also, -26Bs such as the one modeled in AH are early '43 models. The earlier mid-'42 models were mostly used in Europe, and had less defensive armaments (single tail gun, single 30cal tunnel gun, other changes)

You could put the B-29 in for all I care :D

I'm just saying, don't expect to kill any with the axis planes you have listed :cool:

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 04:48:11 PM »
If the B26's were loaded with torpedos they should be taken out. In AH level bombing is too effective against CVs.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Battle of Midway
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 07:28:23 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
The earlier mid-'42 models were mostly used in Europe, and had less defensive armaments (single tail gun, single 30cal tunnel gun, other changes)

Originally posted by Raptor
If the B26's were loaded with torpedos they should be taken out. In AH level bombing is too effective against CVs.
Substitute JU88?
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 10:52:53 PM »
The SBD-5 is also a 1943 aircraft with better performance than the SBDs used at Midway.

It'd be ok I guess if the 1942 D3A2 had been added instead of the 1936 D3A1.

But against the US planes in this setup the Japanese have no chance.  Only the F4F-4 is correct, all other American aircraft are a year or more too modern.

All of the Japanese aircraft are correct.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »
I've scanned through the comment's with the set up and be it after I played in it all night and I report that you have to try it before you bash it.  

This set up is a piece or original & unique match ups that seem to play out in an unusual mannor.  I mean that no side can take claim to an advantage & unlike most set ups in the SEA or AvA we don't know who will win the day based on the MOTD.  In other word's we have a fair fight!

All night the side's pushed back and forth in a way you can't seem to find in the MA or in an FSO anymore.  

This is just down right fun game play!  Thanks to Soda72 for providing the concept for it :)  WTG

As for the timeline of the planes... every one can just shut up right now.  We all had a chance to vote in a new plane not to long ago & we elected to get a new American bomber (the B25).  

The set up guy's have to work with what we have & we have giant holes in plane set's.  Where is the HE111 or the Betty?  So until the plane set is complete or close to it we have to deal with it.

MGD
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 11:41:30 PM by Imoutfishing »

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 01:18:21 AM »
Havn't flown in it a whole lot but I like it.  Nice change and if you get erked off about getting shot down too much you can always lay out on the beach and sip a beer:D
Jay12

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »
And of course if it's a stale night and there's no one else on in the AvA... you can always find a nice spot under a palm to relax:aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Battle of Midway
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 06:49:22 AM »
Originally posted by Imoutfishing
I've scanned through the comment's with the set up and be it after I played in it all night and I report that you have to try it before you bash it.  

This set up is a piece or original & unique match ups that seem to play out in an unusual mannor.  I mean that no side can take claim to an advantage & unlike most set ups in the SEA or AvA we don't know who will win the day based on the MOTD.  In other word's we have a fair fight!

All night the side's pushed back and forth in a way you can't seem to find in the MA or in an FSO anymore.  

This is just down right fun game play!  Thanks to Soda72 for providing the concept for it :)  WTG

As for the timeline of the planes... every one can just shut up right now.  We all had a chance to vote in a new plane not to long ago & we elected to get a new American bomber (the B25).  

The set up guy's have to work with what we have & we have giant holes in plane set's.  Where is the HE111 or the Betty?  So until the plane set is complete or close to it we have to deal with it.

MGD

Agreed, on all points.  I believe everyone who was in there last night had a great time.  In addition to being a good plane set, the map is just plain beautiful, and Soda has hit the carrier hardness and locations right on the button.  Bomber people get to practice their trade without destroying the fight.

- oldman