Author Topic: 11.(Sturm) / JG 3 'Black 13'  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
11.(Sturm) / JG 3 'Black 13'
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 11:26:18 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I recall, it was just a suggestion :aok

P.S. Xas, it's really hard to tell how the exhaust stains looked on black paint in a black and white photo :cool:

Most definitely, mate. In the shot of Pips' 190 the exhaust discolouration looks on-par with Fencer's minimal exhaust scorching so far.

Personally, I think it looks good as it is. A lot of skins in the game have exhaust stains which are quite over the top, in my most humble opinion.

:cool:
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 06:51:08 PM »
This will be my A-8 skin when it is finished.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »
Originally posted by Xasthur

Personally, I think it looks good as it is. A lot of skins in the game have exhaust stains which are quite over the top, in my most humble opinion.

:cool:

I second this.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »
Some yes, some no. Certain nations did certain things to certain units. The "elite" of the LW often were well-cleaned, but there are exceptions to the rule. And, as the war moved into 1944 even the so-called "elite" were less well-kept.

Elite being front-line fighters, latest model 190s and 109s.

Look at some 110s around the time of BOB. 109s were well kept but 110s were NOT. The exhaust stains on my 110 skins are based off of some photos I saw at the time.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »
Absolutely, Krusty. Some skins are most certainly worthy of very, very dirty paint jobs.

Adding a little variation to the 'postively run down' look is nice, though.

I see it as a nice addition to have a skin included which depicts the aircraft relatively fresh off the production lines.

I plan on doing my JG 26 Priller 190 in a fairly clean style, as all of the photos I have seen of his aircraft show it to be in a good state of maintenace and repair.

Variety is the spice of life, as they say, so a bit of both is a good thing, in my opinion.
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 10:42:33 AM »
True, true, variety is a good thing. However, having TOO clean a skin breaks the illusion.

Look at my tan JG27 109E skin. It just doesn't look good. I will redo it with more weathering some day, but for now it annoys me.

My very first 2 skins were rejected because I also went the "factory fresh" route -- no stains, no mess, no exhaust, no nothing.

I thought I wanted them that way, but I look back at them now and cringe badly! Don't let the fact it's one of your first skins dictate your lack of weathering.

It can be "clean" but you need to break up the solid colors with some subtle patterns. Something. Anything. Solid, uninterrupted colors look like MS Paint, if you see what I mean.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
Of course, mate, of course.

A skin worthy of submission should have seen at least some action, which would also include conversion training and practice runs.... which would obviously leave exhaust stains, entry marks and what not.

100% pristine would look odd.

Thanks for the tips, though. I will most certainly be adding a decent amount of weathering, it just won't be a dilapidated pile of chit, that's all

:lol
Raw Prawns
Australia

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 01:08:02 AM »
Any chance this gonna be in game soon?  as well as other new skins?  next 9 days or so?  love to get a half hour in that before I deploy. :aok
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »
Its been submitted, but it was the monday after everyone got their emails.  I doubt it will be in this next pack, but maybe Skuzzy sent it off to be reviewed.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 10:59:39 AM »
bahh, I hope I dont have to wait 6 months to get a ride in it...gives me something to look forward to when I return if I do though.

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
bahh, I hope I dont have to wait 6 months to get a ride in it...gives me something to look forward to when I return if I do though.

Is that "if" you have to wait six months, or "if" you come back? I'm a little frightened now... :confused:
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
Stay safe over there Killnu.
Fencer

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
looks great fencer!

if i could make one critique, it's that your skins are never anti-aliased. it would make it look a lot smoother if the lines didn't look like staircases, but it's great anyway. it's a little difficult to change all the lines now of course, just a headsup for the next one :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
Hopefully it is "if" I have to wait 6 months...:)

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
looks great fencer!

if i could make one critique, it's that your skins are never anti-aliased. it would make it look a lot smoother if the lines didn't look like staircases, but it's great anyway. it's a little difficult to change all the lines now of course, just a headsup for the next one :)

You have pointed this out before, and my response is still the same.  Where I feel that I can get the anti-aliased lines to look right I will use them.  I have tried them on the upper wings of my P-51 template and am not overly happy with the look.  I am also trying them on some other areas on another skin I am working on currently.

Mayhaps I am not doing it correctly but the fuzziness of the these when on an angle is not quite what I think panel lines look like.  I feel that the staggered lines are more representative and I hope the air worthiness of the cartoon craft do not suffer for it.

Cheers.
Fencer