Author Topic: F6F - Pickin' grinin' turnin' burnin' Caynon Fun  (Read 723 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
F6F - Pickin' grinin' turnin' burnin' Caynon Fun
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:46:34 PM »
Here is a sortie that I made last night on the SMPizza map over a V base.

This shows that the F6F is a formidable fighter in all sorts of scenarios.

F6F - Canyon Fun

After 5 kills, I have only a couple of hundred rounds left and our air cap was reduced to just me and BigPlay.

So I decided it's time to go home knowing that ones that have died before, will be back and with a vengence ... so true.

Low and slow climbing out of the canyon, a 109 and a Hurri come on to the scene ... "exit stage left" ... BigPlay is behind me so I figure that they will jump him.

WRONG !!! They both bear down on me. I know that I can outrun the Hurri, but the 109 will eventually catch me. WEP on ... tree top tall, I head for home hoping that the Hurri will get discouraged and with that, I will take the 109 into the canyon and use up my last couple of hundred rounds on him.

Hurri gets discouraged and turns back and the 109 stays in pursuit ... oh boy ... game on !!!

Just as I get to the edge of the canyon, I invert , pull left just as I clear the canyon wall hoping to get out of sight and make him believe that I was going left. I immediately roll back right and continue to make a beeline for home.

My move only momentarily confused him, but it gave me some time to get a little more separation and some speed into my pocket while I am still trimming the tops of the trees ... I got up to around 400 mph.

He sees me and dives into the canyon ... hellz yeah ... bait has been taken.

He gets real low and gains like mad ... time to turn left into him when he is about 1.5K out.

He goes up and I continue a left and up turn ... kinda going for broke and almost get my shot.

He has a boat load of E and goes up again ... I on the other hand have just blown all my E so its time to push stick forward, unload, and get some speed back ... whatever I could get ... I would take.

He comes back down on me and forces me to turn, so I turn right. I did gain what I would consider a decent amount of speed back on my dive, so all is not lost at this point.

As I pull straight, he has matched my turn and dives in again. Again, I turn right ... back into him at 1.5K out. As we get to the merge, I pull up and spoil his guns solution.

I roll left and up into his climb and miss the D400 snapshot ... crap. I go for broke and continue to follow him up knowing that he does have more speed than me, but not by much.

At the top, my F6F is at 40 mph and inverted. I snap back to level and push the stick forward to gain speed cause I can see that he is coming back around, but his turn is mushy cause he dumped his speed too. I am hoping that I can get under him before he gets a guns solution.

It worked ... he couldn't or didn't get around on me ... wheeeew.

At the merge, he turns left into me and down, and I turn flat right into him. I am much slower than him.

Me being slowed than him, I believed worked to my advantage, cause the nose on the HellCat came around with a vengeance and gave me a perfect snapshot from prop to tail which separated enough working parts from his plane to cause his demise.

It is fights like this that has kept me playing this game for 7 years come this February.

Hope you enjoy.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:27:19 PM »
Drex lives .

Best F6F flying I,ve seen , good lesson for anyone
looking to challenge thier thinking on E-is life .

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:26:59 AM »
Thats awesome!!
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »
ah... i miss fights like that.  Nice job SS!

That was a pretty sweet reversal for the kill :D , he missed his shot oppurtunity and he tried to come around, should have zoomed back up since the F6F could deploy flaps and came around quicker.

That was a awesome fight though, i can't wait untill i get my subscription back later on today, i was cheering you on  the whole way saying" get his arse slap! SHOOOOTTT HIMMMM, TURRRNNNN" lolz :aok !

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by sax
Drex lives .

Best F6F flying I,ve seen , good lesson for anyone
looking to challenge thier thinking on E-is life .

Drex !!! ... I think not ... but thanks anyways.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:45 AM »
You were probably talking about me rather then BigPlay, he wasn't there.  I was actually expecting that 190 and the Hurry to jump me, I was low and slow just over the canyon wall with both of them about 3k above me.  Guess they didn't see me, for I was sure good bait down there like that with one that's as fast as me and the other that can easily out turn me.  If you can get a 190 to turn fight with a F6 you pretty much got him, just make sure he misses his initial gun run.

:aok
Pat Kunz
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
great sortie to watch slap. looked like a fun one.

apart from the 190A5 at the end the biggest threat to your saftey was the M3! good show on the furball section, especialy when you missed a shot on the spit but then seeing that he (spit) was attacking lazydog's six you held the flat turn and commited to the kill. great shooting to follow.

then the reversals bit on the 190 was sweet. i thought you were about to get a cockpit shot not once but twice on the rolling overshoots, and then a very precise bit of Energy judgement that enabaled you to make the enemy think he has a shot, only to avoid his fire and use the possition to get the kill. expert finishing blow too. not a bit of wobble, steady and low G burst of rapid fire tears his tail to bits.

thanks for posting, enjoyed it.

S!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
Good stuff.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »
That's pretty cool.

One thing I learned form that is that my gunnery sucks. Actually, I already knew that. :D