Author Topic: who made the best cc weapons in WW2?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
who made the best cc weapons in WW2?
« Reply #300 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »
No, you are complicating this with your inane posturing. It is physically impossible for something to explode without creating pressure. Stop being so damned pedantic Lazs.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2008, 02:20:11 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
oh... when talking about ballistics or ammo the accepted defenition of energy is as I have said..  it seems that instead of making things simple you have complicated them.

and.. just to make it even worse.. it is not so much the powder as the pressure.     Powder exploding without pressure would create no energy that the bullet could use.

lazs

Nothing can explode without generating pressure.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #302 on: January 12, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
yes.  that is correct.   the more pressure the more energy exerted.   If the pressure is contained in a closed brass case with a bullet crimped in one end then the case is contained in a breech of some sort with only an opening for the bullet then you will get the energy of the powder exerted (mostly) on the bullet.

bullet energy is strictly a function of weight and velocity.

lazs

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #303 on: January 12, 2008, 11:27:30 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
The energy is generated by the gunpowder charge, not the bullet. ;)  The gun itself helps shape and focus that energy trough different chamber and barrel designs, and may also bleed off some of the energy to work other functions (like cycling the action). In pistol applications the 9 mm and .45 ACP are usually very similar in energy at the muzzle, .45 usually being a little more powerful. However the size, weight and shape of the bullet determine how the energy imparted in the bullet is transferred to the target. Two bullets with the same energy imparted in them, but of different size will affect the target differently; the bigger, slower bullet will transfer the energy more quickly at the expense of penetration (i.e. it will not travel so deeply into the body). The smaller, faster bullet will transfer the energy over longer time and penetrate deeper into the body. If the bullet exits the back of the target (called over penetration) the energy it retains is lost and ineffective. That is why smaller faster bullets often need to be of an expanding design (hollow point, soft tip etc.) to prevent over penetration. I hope this makes sense. :)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
We could talk about expert marksman etc, but thats not who the average gun owner is in the US.

The average gun owners are the people on this board who own guns. Like myself, or Laz, or Charon or so many others.

Now I know Laz is a better shot then I am. I am competent, but not as good as I feel I should be cause I do not have the time and money to spend on ammo to shoot once a week, so at best I go once a month.

With no stress I don't miss the target.

Stress changes things. We can not assume we will be able to take a nice aimed head shot. Life doesn't work that way and when the adrenaline is running your not going to be at your best for fine motor control. For that reason people want stopping power, you don't want to have to shoot a guy 3 times to stop him when hitting him one time under stress is hard enough.

If you think maybe then we shouldn't have guns, keep in mind on average I would be willing to bet, your average gun enthusiast is a better shot then your average cop.

If your going to depend on something for keeping you alive, don't you think you would want to know that the tool is going to do the job well, not just ok?

yes i would want something to do the job best not just 'ok'. good point, it makes alot of sense for the average citizen. thanks.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]