Author Topic: who made the best cc weapons in WW2?  (Read 6556 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
who made the best cc weapons in WW2?
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
From what I understood it was more for the Airborne units for portability reasons.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2008, 01:11:38 PM »
Originally posted by moot
I never understood the point of the M1A1 carbine.  It seems to be more of an airsoft gun. What advantages did it have over other guns mentionned in the thread?

It was small, light and ammo was light.

Other then that it was a pistol replacement originaly from what I read somewhere.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
I don't really consider a battle rifle a "close range weapon". 400 yards isn't all that close. :)

If you wanna look at stuff that made for vicious close combat, go no further than the german entrenching tool. Nobody wants to take a hit from one of these things..

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by moot
I never understood the point of the M1A1 carbine.  It seems to be more of an airsoft gun. What advantages did it have over other guns mentionned in the thread?

It was originally created as a support role replacement of the 1911.  However it did rather well.  It was light, easy to shoot, and easy to maintain.  I argue (though many contend with the STG44) that it was the first assault rifle, being a (light) intermediate cartridge.

However, it was a love - hate gun.  You either loved it, or hated it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »
The M1 Carbine was intended to replace the .45 pistol for support troops.  Apparently they needed something more capable than a pistol but less than the main Garand armament.

The Carbine become popular with many front line troops and can be seen often in combat footage.  The M1 Carbine round is not an earth shattering round ballistically but I assume it is not a pleasant experience to be shot by one.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
Suomi kp + flamethrower attachment. We have a winner!

Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
It was originally created as a support role replacement of the 1911.  However it did rather well.  It was light, easy to shoot, and easy to maintain.  I argue (though many contend with the STG44) that it was the first assault rifle, being a (light) intermediate cartridge.

However, it was a love - hate gun.  You either loved it, or hated it.

In it's M2 form, yes, since you would have selective fire with Full-auto capability. IMHO, that should have been what they produced the most of.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Suomi kp + flamethrower attachment. We have a winner!

screw that!:D

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
In it's M2 form, yes, since you would have selective fire with Full-auto capability. IMHO, that should have been what they produced the most of.

The M2 really wasn't produced til late in the end of the pacific war.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
I don't really consider a battle rifle a "close range weapon". 400 yards isn't all that close. :)

If you wanna look at stuff that made for vicious close combat, go no further than the german entrenching tool. Nobody wants to take a hit from one of these things..

yup ok i swap that for my pistol. take the m1 garand with a sling and the german light battle axe
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
yup ok i swap that for my pistol. take the m1 garand with a sling and the german light battle axe

I have some suposedly russian Spetnaz throwing fighting shovel like that, I use it as my jeep trail shovel..

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »
The M2 really wasn't produced til late in the end of the pacific war.

Which makes the MP43/StG44 the first assault rifle since the M1 Carbine was only semi-auto.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
Which makes the MP43/StG44 the first assault rifle since the M1 Carbine was only semi-auto.

No, it really makes the Federov Automat the first assault rifle.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »
Originally posted by Viking

Agreed, and besides, the 30 carbine round is not really powerful enough to qualify. The 30 carbine is a neat little weapon, more powerful and accurate than most military handgun type side arms, yet light, and user friendly. But even the select fire version isn't really an assault rifle.

Few would argue that the German weapon was NOT the first really functional and useful "assault weapon", in the true modern sense of the term. The U.S. didn't have a true "assault weapon" until the advent of the AR series of rifles, which were actually originally intended as survival rifles for the USAF, and eventually became the M-16 series.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »
No, it really makes the Federov Automat the first assault rifle.

The Fedorov Avtomat is sometimes mentioned as the first assault rifle, but in reality it was a selective fire battle rifle like the M-14, FN-FAL, G-3 etc. While somewhat smaller than other rifle rounds at the time, the Avtomat's 6.5x50SR Arisaka round is still too large and powerful to be considered an intermediate round.