Author Topic: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...  (Read 4245 times)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »
1v1 an la7 is going to get it, its just when they come in flocks that trouble is to be had.  you can only dodge so many n00bs before they've slowed you down enough to pick you.

i'd just like to not have to chase around 51s at 15-20k four sectors for them to only turn and fight when it looks like i've given up the chase.  seriously, what a waste of his and my time
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2008, 01:51:25 PM »
Originally posted by Ghastly
MajIssue - I think perhaps I'm getting a glimmer of where your name came from {grin}???

I *believe* that all he was trying to say is that if you try to win the maneuvering portion of the fight in those aircraft that are less maneuverable, you're margin of error is thinner, and you'll learn much more quickly from your mistakes.

I could be wrong though... I'm not a mind reader.   But I pretty obviously didn't read it as a you must have.

I got it ghastly... I couldn't resist the opportunity to spout communist propaganda when I read the word "force", in SuBWaYCH's post. The way I see it, the only way to learn about the game is to get "tooled" your first few dozen sorties... A new guy is usually inexperienced (as we all were at some point) and will see: "[insert veteran player name here] shot you down" on every MA sortie the first few times they log on during the 2 week trial. In my case Fester alone killed me at least 2 dozen times in the first week I played in 2001. It really doesn't matter what ride a "nugget" selects, inexperience, lack of SA and upping into a cap or furball will usually result in the same outcome... "SoAndSo shot you down". So if a noob ups an aircraft he or she might have heard of before [i.e Pony, LaLa or Spit]... no big deal, they will get their 6 waxed soon enough, just like we all did.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
Originally posted by bparker
I totally agree with the continual influx of LA7 pilots, but if these noobies really wanted to learn to fly they would train in A6Ms where its learn ACM or die. Unfortunitly there is no one to tell them that so they just up the fastest lamest plane they can get without perks.

Diving to the deck at the nearest sign of trouble and doing hard flat break turns hardly amounts to ACM in the Zeke or any other plane for that matter.  Just sayin'.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »
Originally posted by KONG1
I've found the Pony and Dora flyers to be dweebiest; all boom, zoom and run (can't say I blame 'em). The 109k and the LA7 are great fighters and can hold their own against any plane in a fight. Granted they're also fast, so if you want to play hit and run you certainly can. I just find that a K or 7 will actually engage more frequently than a Pony or Dora.

And let's face it, there's nothing dweebier than the I-never-leave-the-horde guys. There are some players you will NEVER have a fight with (regardless of advantages and plane) because they will only flock. This includes I'm-leet-cause-I-fly-old-planes-in-late-war-but-only-in-a-big-group guys.

Planes aren't lame, players are lame.

Well there are a couple of pony pilots (like me) who are always up to a fight unless there are to many enemy's around. I usually turn with the pony but keep managing my E. And when the sky is really full of red guys i start the cherry picking/boom n zooming tactic.
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Diving to the deck at the nearest sign of trouble and doing hard flat break turns hardly amounts to ACM in the Zeke or any other plane for that matter.  Just sayin'.

ack-ack

Exactly ... it matters not the plane, what one needs to do is stick around and take a beating (I'm completely serious). You learn more from your losses than you do from your wins.

If you constantly run from the fight at the slightest notion of things aren't going your way ... you will not learn jack-squat from that. The tell tale sign of these types is when you do run them down in their "hotrod" ... they have no clue as to what to do next and basically fly flat and level or make a nice full plane form flat turn for the easy kill.

After all these years, I still can't get my arms around the mindset of the "fleeing" crowd ... what does it really accomplish in the long run. Now, I am not referring to someone who doesn't want to take on the 5 v 1 situations, it's the 1 v 1 fights, and when things start to go wrong ... off they run like a scaled cat ... all because they might "die" or, be embarrassed?

The "Corky" notion just does not register with these people.

"Corky" notion = YOU DO NOT REALLY DIE ... YOU CAN GET A BRAND NEW PLANE.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
i love to see n00blets in 5 ENY rides...means more perks for me...easy kills
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Exactly ... it matters not the plane, what one needs to do is stick around and take a beating (I'm completely serious). You learn more from your losses than you do from your wins.

If you constantly run from the fight at the slightest notion of things aren't going your way ... you will not learn jack-squat from that. The tell tale sign of these types is when you do run them down in their "hotrod" ... they have no clue as to what to do next and basically fly flat and level or make a nice full plane form flat turn for the easy kill.

After all these years, I still can't get my arms around the mindset of the "fleeing" crowd ... what does it really accomplish in the long run. Now, I am not referring to someone who doesn't want to take on the 5 v 1 situations, it's the 1 v 1 fights, and when things start to go wrong ... off they run like a scaled cat ... all because they might "die" or, be embarrassed?

The "Corky" notion just does not register with these people.

"Corky" notion = YOU DO NOT REALLY DIE ... YOU CAN GET A BRAND NEW PLANE.

It's not PHYSICAL death they fear. It's the death of they're standing, and they're score. They fall down a notch in l337ness. They are not as good as they say they are if they die. Thusly, they run.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »
I must have learned alot... with all my deaths :lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Personally, I find the Spit I much easier to fly and get kills in than the Hurri I but I'm a long-time Spit dweeb so I guess that makes sense.

Yea I don't fly spits often but when jumping from the Huri 1 to the Spit 1, I found that the Spit 1 seemed heavy.  It just didn't seem as responsive as the Huri 1 IMO.

So my personal opinion is if both pilots are equal the H1 would have the turning advantage over the S1. I also think the H1 is a bit tougher of a plane than the S1 is, as the wings don't fall off as easy.  :D

In the end it mainly comes down to the pilot in most cases.
"strafing"

Banshee7

Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
I'm guessing the 51 has more to do with name recognition for newbies then anything else.   I also think there are a group of dedicated Mustang drivers out there and squads based on those.

My squad is based on P-51s.  They are a very good plane.  And I said the same thing in my last post....EVERY noob just HAS to fly the P-51 because it's always been known as the "best fighter plane ever."  Then the find out that they are not that easy to fly and move on.

#S#

Banshee7

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
It's not PHYSICAL death they fear. It's the death of they're standing, and they're score. They fall down a notch in l337ness. They are not as good as they say they are if they die. Thusly, they run.

The worst thing about that is they fail to learn why/how they got shot down because they are so focused on the score/rank that they become upset.

Yesterday I was flying in the MW over TT island, having some pretty good 3 and 2 vs. 1 fights and then later progressed to a series of 1v1 fights with a Bish Bf109E.  He would dive to the deck on merge and then pull up directly below me, like he was trying to hit my belly on a zoom climb attack.  All I would do was fly level until he got close and use a Hi Yo Yo to keep him zooming up burning his energy and then drop down for the kill.  Then he would come at me from the deck and do the same zoom thing.  Since I was at 5k, I'd wait until he was approaching d2.0 and then roll over and dive down on him, again catching him as he stalled at the top of his zoom climb.  This was done a few more times to him.  

If I was him, I start to rethink my tactics and try to figure out how to keep from dying this way instead of getting on public channel and cry about how "I was vulching him" by making him stall out and not allowing him to regain his speed and then sending PMs about how he out ranks me, yada yada yada.

Mentality like that is far more common now than it has been in the past.  

ack-ack
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:07:37 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3

I hear a lot of guys talk about playing to 'win'.  To each his own, but I think they miss the best part of the game that way.

I remember KillnU coming on a couple weeks ago and he'd had an absolute knock down, drag out fight with a guy earlier in the day, and he was still pumped up about it.  He was back looking for another one.

To me that's the secret.  It's those kinds of fights that keep many of us coming back.  You just about break your stick and you are 'in the cockpit' for those few moments where you are really being tested.

Live or die, for me those are the 'wins'.  

Not telling anyone how to play as it is their dime.  I just wish more folks would try it out now and then.  I think they'd be surprised :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2008, 04:56:44 PM »
I think I haven't gotten it yet.  What an individual flies is of no concern
to me.  I guess if I run into the cloud of high altitude fast guys, it is my
poor SA and not their tactics that is the problem.

I also enjoy turnfighters calling B&Zer dweebs because they fight to
their strengths just like the turners do to theirs.  If some of this stuff
bothers you, maybe it's time to take a deep breath and relax for a while.

I hate losing as much as the next guy, but name calling because you
lost is silly.

Oh yeah, HTC put in all these aircraft to be used...if you become a plane
snob because you think it makes you more of a stud, then you are limiting
yourself for no reason.  Trust me, no one spends alot of time thinking "Boy
that Hub sure is cool..he flies Mitchells like fighters!" :D   No offense Hub,
you were just the first one I thought up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:00:27 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Has the LA7 regained it's throne...
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
If I was him, I start to rethink my tactics and try to figure out how to keep dying this way instead of getting on public channel and cry about how "I was vulching him" by making him stall out and not allowing him to regain his speed and then sending PMs about how he out ranks me, yada yada yada.

Mentality like that is far more common now than it has been in the past.  

ack-ack

WOW ... "Stall Vulching" ... I like it !!!

I had a guy do the exact same thing to me the other night in a Hurri C ... I killed him like 5 times in a row.

I told him after his 3rd attempt, on 200, that he needs to get a little more altitude and speed before trying to climb up to me for a shot ... I never got a response and he came back for more ... I finally left cause I couldn't take it anymore.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »
Originally posted by MajIssue
Yea... Limit the fighter planeset to SuBWaYCH approved models only... Flying "Winnabagos" will teach those spitdweeb newbtards a thing or two about REAL cartoon flying. Forget about choice, forget about those clueless new guys having a little fun and maybe subscribing to AH. The Workers must control the means of production and the capitalist exploiters at HTC do not need to make obscene profits at the expense of the AH elite like SuBWaYCH. The Elites will FORCE you to learn ACM according to the standards set by Politburo member SuBWaYCH.

---"Lighten up Francis"
         SFC "Big Toe" Hukla in the film "Stripes"

:rolleyes: :lol :rolleyes: :lol :rolleyes: :lol

Uncalled For!!!!

10 Yard penalty for the count I didn't deserve that!!!

All I was saying is that they do teach to use ACM.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks