Author Topic: HO Evasion  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
HO Evasion
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:47:14 AM »
It seems to me that if someone wants to go for a HO shot they will always get a decent one, it may be a low % and I might just be unlucky. I've been filming my fights and I'm about to just turn into a HOtard because 90% of the time I get killed by people who HO me when I'm going for the merge. In the films they are pulling off stupid shots while pulling very high g's. If they miss they lose because they're giving me more than 45 degree advantages, I've tried spacing it horizontally, vertically, I've tried to make it so they have to red out to hit me (they do, and they still hit me). My luck must be terrible or I need to just HO people. Yes I know how to merge, yes I know how you're supposed to avoid a HO, but it seems to me that avoiding it totally is impossible.

Heck when I went out to HO there wasn't a single person that could merge at me without giving me a shot.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »
How much spacing do you get?  It's quite easy for me to avoid a HO, not to mention when I set them up for a lead turn, so I guess you just havn't got your spacing/timing right?  

Just throwing ideas out there, but maybe try lots of spacing, and working your way in by decreasing the amount of spacing each time until you find what works.

But really, if you know they're intent on HO'ing, set them up for a lead turn, and (this takes time to fine tune) judge right before they are going to fire, and add some vertical movement, and then barrel roll or whatever you want turning into them and try to gain the position behind their 3/9.  One you get it down it's very easy to avoid a HO, or their shot when you set them up for a lead turn.

Good luck, don't get frustrated.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: HO Evasion
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »
Originally posted by Chubbie
It seems to me that if someone wants to go for a HO shot they will always get a decent one, it may be a low % and I might just be unlucky. I've been filming my fights and I'm about to just turn into a HOtard because 90% of the time I get killed by people who HO me when I'm going for the merge. In the films they are pulling off stupid shots while pulling very high g's. If they miss they lose because they're giving me more than 45 degree advantages, I've tried spacing it horizontally, vertically, I've tried to make it so they have to red out to hit me (they do, and they still hit me). My luck must be terrible or I need to just HO people. Yes I know how to merge, yes I know how you're supposed to avoid a HO, but it seems to me that avoiding it totally is impossible.

Heck when I went out to HO there wasn't a single person that could merge at me without giving me a shot.

it's karma dude!!! that's what ya get for chasin a guy(runstang) and vulching his perfectly good landing in his undamaged shiny purty airplane:D

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:50:47 AM »
You need to work on your timing a bit chubie.

HO'rs land bullets on me maybe a handfull of times (almost never any serious damage from it) out of the countless HO's I get per tour.

It's timing and practice.  The key is to time your "move" to when they have a shot.  If you do it right, they are shooting at thin air and you are 1/2 way around to their 6 before they let off the trigger and reaquire ya'.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
HO Evasion
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »
Post a film or two of yours here. Maybe what you think is a good merge really isn't. It will also show your timing, and people can let you know if they think your too late or not.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:50 AM »
lol a lot of my merges i go for ho position until hes about 800 out i fire 1/4 sec burst and turn really quickly into my first move. usualy he flys into my bullets misses me or i have position.

edit:

i fly the nik a lot and people just asume im gonna ho them anyway so why make them wrong lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:36:47 AM »
Originally posted by goober69
lol a lot of my merges i go for ho position until hes about 800 out i fire 1/4 sec burst and turn really quickly into my first move. usualy he flys into my bullets misses me or i have position.

edit:

i fly the nik a lot and people just asume im gonna ho them anyway so why make them wrong lol

this attitude is what makes this game so boring and one dimensional sometimes.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline yankedudel

• Copper Member
      • Yankee Air Museum
HO Evasion
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »
Check out toonces3's thread, "Are you good enough to tell when a player won't HO?" in the General Discussion board.  There is some useful info on this topic.
Absorbing your bullets as...YAF1
79th FG - Fighting Falcons[/size]
Yankee Air Museum...Become a member[/size]

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
HO Evasion
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »

edit:

This is what is killing the "game" First your attitude "everyone thinks going to HO anyway, so I do", is a poor excuse. You should WANT to do better, not be just another "dweeb" (and yes that is what the term comes from, people doing lame things).

Your score shows your attitude and lack of skill. Less than 1/2 a kill per sortie, and all but 2 in cannon rides. This game isn't about brute strength...he with the biggest guns wins the most..... no its much more about skill and learning to use your plane.

If your waiting till 800 to turn out from the HO, why bother? your already in it ! I turn out around 2k and go for separation. Of course the enemy plane will turn toward me going for as much of a HO as they can get. At 1500 out I start my move, which ever move looks like it will put me in a good position due to his angle off and speed.

Hook up with a trainer for a few lessons. Spend a couple hours training, then a couple hours practicing what they tell you, and you'll easily double if not triple your kill per sortie the very next time your up. You'll be amased at how easier it is to kill when you set them up for a shot!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »

edit:

Everything in this post is just another shining example of the puss boil that sits on the face of Aces High.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »
I spend much of my time in an A-20 and I rarely if ever get HO'd...

As suggested I'd post a film or two...

Here are my thoughts...

HO avoidance starts at about 4.0 out as part of a fundementally correct merge. Ideally both horizontal and vertical seperation are desired. This might mean flying at a 45 degree angle to the con or more. Your approach to the con should have gentle but measurable "arc" which would require the bogie to alter heading to maintain a true "HO".

I would guess that you have either an intial approach that is "straight at" the con or parellel offset and then "pull" thru the guys flight path setting up a FQ shot for him...(just a guess)...

You need to seperate the HO from the true FQ shot. Most folks are like noober...goober. They think they're cute but all they do is hasten there own death. fly right at me in an A-20 till 800 and unless your in numbs class (not that he ever does that) in a nikki your dead and dont know it yet.

A good opponent will set up a hook with a FQ option. I'd say your getting hit more from guys who are flying a good merge and your pulling early into a shot window. The guy flying "right at you" is harmless 90%+ of the time. Its the guy who looks for seperation and then is flying a "banana" style approach to you that says "valdez" is coming your way. If you dont react that gentle curve is giving 20 degree's or more...add a bit of rudder and throttle and your looking at a 45 degree FQ shot and a solid rear hemisphere lag pursuit if it misses.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Everything in this post is just another shining example of the puss boil that sits on the face of Aces High.

dang dude i was just kidding lmao
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »
add one of these ;)

or one of these :aok

or maybe even one of these :rolleyes:

to help us see your trying to be sarcastic, otherwise it just looked like bad advice given in the training section, which easily gets people riled up.

K?

:aok
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
HO Evasion
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
Chubbie, it is all in separation, timing, and reading the merge angles.  I can best explain it as a window you need to pass through at every merge in order to dodge or minimize the HO shot.  The problem is that the window is not the same place in every merge.  Unless your maneuver options are limited by speed, there is almost always a window somewhere though.

Couple thoughts...One is you can swing by and try to catch a trainer, and any of them could tell you what adjustments to your merge approach you need to make to minimize the HO.  Another, is that when you do find an opponent who flies like they want to avoid the HO, make a note of how they position themselves, and how effective their positioning is...try to emulate what they do in your own merges.

By the way, the hook concept mentioned is probably the most common one used.  The trick is that where you bend the hook is dependent on you spotting where your opponent can and can't get his guns at a given moment.  Sounds to me like you have to concept of what to do, and just need to get the timing down.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
HO Evasion
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 06:15:27 AM »
Well I have all of one days flying fighters under my belt, with about 6 or 7 sorties, "during which I actually survived long enough to zoom past others about 8 times head on". 7 of the 8 times I HO'd with someone they shot at me. I didn't do the same cause I thought it was proper etiquette not to do so. Eventually this inner-voice found me to up LA-7s, spray everyone that came past in my 12, and then zoom away like a dweeb.

So far Ive resisted cause I actually want to learn to fly something other then bombers. But I got news for you. This anti-HO thingy? It aint working.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"