Author Topic: "Gaming" the Game?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
another is to turn down your plane's engine to hear approaching planes.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »
Originally posted by A8balls
The Air Ministry's specifications for the Lancs included the ability to dive bomb up to 30 degrees. This specification carried over from the 2 engine to the 4 engine design. This alone is why the bomb bay doors are so large. Being a RL pilot myself, I guarantee that any aircraft can dive at 90 degrees and most pilots are trained to recover from this attitude.

Detail slider & flopping. I see your point.

Milk runs are a very big part of real history. Bomber pilots "scoring" without getting into a fight is exactly the point.

Anyone else?

Yes..... did they also bail out just past their bomb drop?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 08:34:14 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
So, to a "purest" anything that wouldn't, or couldn't be done in real life, shouldn't be done in the game. "Buff guys" climb to high alts and make there bombing runs while trying to avoid radar, and would be happy with a few 51 as cover. "Fighter guys" look for fights, air combat. The rest of the players are "gamers" they just play the game, history  to them is what their score was last month.

I think you're right on the mark. I prefer to level-bomb. Anytime that I dive-bomb in a bomber, it's usually in such planes as Ju-88's that actually posessed that ability. Or, I could just fly a Jug.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:39:29 AM »
The Air Ministry's specifications for the Lancs included the ability to dive bomb up to 30 degrees. This specification carried over from the 2 engine to the 4 engine design. This alone is why the bomb bay doors are so large. Being a RL pilot myself, I guarantee that any aircraft can dive at 90 degrees and most pilots are trained to recover from this attitude.

Milk runs are a very big part of real history. Bomber pilots "scoring" without getting into a fight is exactly the point.

Anyone else?

Sounds like you want to justify your gaming to me.  Do what you have to do,
but you're not going to game legitimacy for your actions.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Banshee7

"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:22:25 AM »
I've found that the best way for me to defeat slider dweebs is this:

Up a Sherman (dark color even if the opponent doesn't have skins enabled)
Find a spot nestled in behind some trees, farm houses, windmill, etc...
Don't shoot anything until they are up close and personal

I tested out the slider thing.  It lets you see through obstacles from distances but once you get up close everything appears (trees, etc..)  And most people don't go looking for something to shoot at unless they are being shot at.  So when you fire up close...they cant see you till it's too late.  But if you fire from a distance, they will follow your rounds right to your location.  Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't....but that's my knowledge

#S#

Banshee7

Offline KooLBreeZ

• Zinc Member
Well I Agree
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
I agree with some of ya but:
 1. When you continue to up LVTs feet dry,drop troop, and ditch till you have 100 running, thats gaming the game.
2. There is a such thing as GV dudes in the game. Use to be one.
3. Seen first hand the Windmill glitch.
4. Remember on old maps when you could pull into that building between Vbases you could see out but no one could see in.
5. Dropping troops over ABase to draw ack. Poor lil drunks
6. Big annoyance Buffs who ditch once you headed to them or they completely miss target.
7 Believe there are many more.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Alt f4 to pull off base captures.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: "Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »
such as divebombing Lancs, it's called "Gaming".  :rolleyes:

Can you believe this BS?  Probably some whining little furballer that has no clue on why the game was created or how to fight a war.  Ignore him
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
I was down and deep in a tree farm near a town we were trying to capture a while back and was wondering just how the heck the base defenders were putting rounds so close to my hidden position.  I had the engine turned off and after a while could hear a Sherman (Firefly?) coming up in the distance.  I thought I was safe deep in there and the guy came up opposite the small bank I was hiding behind and popped a round into me, dead.  How the he11 did he come right to me like that, the trees should have hid me.  Well, now I know.  He a slider dweeb.

Since I knew he was well off the beaten path I went and grabbed a Hog and found the guy high tailing it back to the town.  I dropped an egg on him and gave him the ch200 smiley.  He chided me for not being a "skilled" tanker lol

What a slider dweeb :aok

I know better now.
[/QUOTE

even the slider can be defeated if you will relocate in the trees after  the nme gets close he will not see you at close up!  the only way he can find you now is sound or a distant spotter. the slider only works at a distance, a good tanker knows to never stay put too long! I like to hide on the other side of the trees from the nme in the clear so as to use his advantage agains him,by the time he finds me i've locked on to his motor noise and out he pops,only thing is you need to get him on the first shot (not always my strong point)!
taking advantage of the flaws in the program are gaming the game but not cheating per say. a gv'r that drives around and finds sweet spots in the terrain  may not be your favorite player but it does take alot of hours to do so and the plus is next update those spots probably wont be there, cause someone went to the trouble to find them and somebody else went to the trouble of reporting them after getting killed a few times!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

Anyone else?

From the flight manual for the Lancaster....

(iii) The aircraft is designed for maneuvers appropriate to a heavy bomber and care must be taken to avoid imposing excessive loads in a recovery from dives and turns at high speed. Spinning and aerobatics are not permitted.
Violent use of the rudder should be avoided at high speeds.
(ii) Maximum speeds in m.p.h. I.A.S.
Diving: 360
Bomb doors open: as for diving
Undercarriage down: 200
Flaps down: 200
(iii) Maximum weights:
Take-off and straight flying 65,000 lb.
Landing and all forms of flying 55,000 lb.
Flying should be restricted to straight and level until weight is reduced to 63,000 lb.
(iv) bomb clearance angles:
Dive 30°

Climb 20°
Bank 10°

30 degree dive angle...

With that said, holding a 30 degree dive for any length of time from high alt would cause the aircraft to exceed the maximum dive speed. I think it'd be pretty safe to say that 30 degree dive bombing was scarce, unless it was done from relatively low altitudes and for a short period of time.

From all accounts I've read, the Lancaster did come in at high altitude and did "Dive to target", but actually bombed in a level position. There's a big difference between "diving to a target" and "dive bombing".

And using maximum clearance angles and speeds isn't always a good thing to do. These are extreme cases and would not fall under normal conditions. That's like a 747 doing a loop. Can it do it given the right conditions? Yes. Would anyone do it on a regular basis? Hell no!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:55:44 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Urthona

• Zinc Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »
One of the gamiest things I've seen is when some guy parked his M3 inside my Panzer in order to avoid getting damaged by straffing fighters.  I'm not sure if this actually works, but its very gamey -- it's taking advantage of a convenient feature of the game, friendly collisions off,  in a way that doesn't match either reality or the intent of the game designer.
Earthdog
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
Flying an La is gaming the game.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:47 PM »
This thread is getting gamey.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
(ii) Maximum speeds in m.p.h. I.A.S.
Diving: 360

With that said, holding a 30 degree dive for any length of time from high alt would cause the aircraft to exceed the maximum dive speed.  

I used to fly Lancs all the time (23K level bomb runs).  On my way home i'd hold ~30 degree dive rate at ~360 i.a.s and that was still with some throttle applied.

It's easy to hold that speed at that dive angle.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline killjoy1

• Copper Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
I am surprised no one mentioned the invisible tank or plane trick.
callsigns:  Rexx, Killjoy, Fluffy