Author Topic: "Gaming" the Game?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
"Gaming" the Game?
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
What exactly is "Gaming" the game and what actions are considered as doing such?
I've read this phrase alot on the forum, but it just seems that if someone doesn't like a particular action in the game, such as divebombing Lancs, it's called "Gaming".  :rolleyes:
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
there is a lot of things that can be called "gaming the game"

Your Lanc example. Dive bomb with a set of lanc would in all cases cause the pilot and crew death, target would NOT be hit, and the plane was never designed to perform that kind of maneuver. However, we have a game here, so some things are "relaxed" a bit. The plane can handle the manuever, you can hit targets pretty reliably due to practice, and you can practice it, because nobody dies.

So, to a "purest" anything that wouldn't, or couldn't be done in real life, shouldn't be done in the game. "Buff guys" climb to high alts and make there bombing runs while trying to avoid radar, and would be happy with a few 51 as cover. "Fighter guys" look for fights, air combat. The rest of the players are "gamers" they just play the game, history  to them is what their score was last month.

There are buff guys, and fighter guys, but contrary to any believ, there is no such thing as a "GV guy".  I've seen a few fights that were close to being GV "battles", but for the most part it was only a battle till they could get the spawn camped  :D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
At its core "gaming the game" is taking advantage of an issue inherent to the games design not player skill...

2 examples are turning the detail slider all the way down in GV's and "flopping" in a fight to the point that the game cant update the changes as fast as the planes orientation is changing. There are many others...

In some folks mind it extends to things like those fugitive mentioned or even beyond...

At its extreme its anything that uses an aspect of the game to eliminate or counter an other players actual skill...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BiGBMAW

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »
gaming the game..

here is another example...SCORE...potatos...

You do things to increase your rank..but stay away from any opposition...You milk run targets...and make sure the no enemies close by.....So the score represents that your very good at Bombing Gvs and Ftrs...But you do this while NEVER geting close to a enemy that can shoot at you

Milk run was a term used in WW2 that meant you were going to bomb a target that was known to have little if any defenses

Milk runs in here mean if you see a red bar in the area..you leave and go somewhere else

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »
The Air Ministry's specifications for the Lancs included the ability to dive bomb up to 30 degrees. This specification carried over from the 2 engine to the 4 engine design. This alone is why the bomb bay doors are so large. Being a RL pilot myself, I guarantee that any aircraft can dive at 90 degrees and most pilots are trained to recover from this attitude.

Detail slider & flopping. I see your point.

Milk runs are a very big part of real history. Bomber pilots "scoring" without getting into a fight is exactly the point.

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:08:18 PM by A8balls »
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
Originally posted by A8balls
The Air Ministry's specifications for the Lancs included the ability to dive bomb up to 30 degrees. This specification carried over from the 2 engine to the 4 engine design. This alone is why the bomb bay doors are so large. Being a RL pilot myself, I guarantee that any aircraft can dive at 90 degrees and most pilots are trained to recover from this attitude.

B-24s were used for "dive bombing" in the CBI with dives of about 30 degrees.  I too am a pilot and have flown B-17s and B-24s.  While it's "possible" for them to go straight down it's the last thing I'd want to do in them.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
Why?   This thread seems like a troll and no matter what is posted, "you are not gaming the game by dive bombing in lancs".    

What else is there to "divulge"?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:05 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
and the plane was never designed to perform that kind of maneuver. However, we have a game here, so some things are "relaxed" a bit.

Yeah like performing a tight immelman going 250mph in a set of lancs.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
What I'd consider gaming the game, knowingly using a glitch or short fall of on-line entertainment to your advantage.

Examples:
1: Having a powerful PC and turning down the details to see GVs.
2: (this happened a couple of patches ago) Backing GVs into windmills so that one cannot kill you
3:The old "Cable Puller"  (Not sure if this really works)  

I'm sure that there are many more, but thats what I consider gaming the game.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »
I was down and deep in a tree farm near a town we were trying to capture a while back and was wondering just how the heck the base defenders were putting rounds so close to my hidden position.  I had the engine turned off and after a while could hear a Sherman (Firefly?) coming up in the distance.  I thought I was safe deep in there and the guy came up opposite the small bank I was hiding behind and popped a round into me, dead.  How the he11 did he come right to me like that, the trees should have hid me.  Well, now I know.  He a slider dweeb.

Since I knew he was well off the beaten path I went and grabbed a Hog and found the guy high tailing it back to the town.  I dropped an egg on him and gave him the ch200 smiley.  He chided me for not being a "skilled" tanker lol

What a slider dweeb :aok

I know better now.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:46:12 AM »
Yes sometimes it makes me a little angry.   You find the perfect place to ambush, then the rounds come flying in from distances so far.  Like you said, at least if they kill ya, its just as fun to give them a little surprise.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 01:30:33 AM »
I can relate to the slider dweebery.
I used to like good GV hunting battles where you're playing cat & mouse in the trees with another GV, sitting still listening with engine off, starting and moving, crawling slowly stalking the other guy and you know he's having fun too. Then some dweeb pops you from outside the forest because he's got his sliders turned down and has no issues seeing you at all. At least I know the last guy I was hunting with gave his countryman an earful for spoiling the hunt.
As it stands now I don't do much GV work any more. Those that I do are simple straight run base capture and supply with M3's or vulcher hunting with Ostwinds.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline BiGBMAW

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 02:30:59 AM »
A8 balls is defnlty a milkrunner..

mooo

no skill dweeb

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Using a bug, or inconsistency in the game to benefit yourself.

Like when you could drive a tank into a windmill and shoot out but enemy's couldn't shoot in. Hiding a tank in the indestructible hanger to do the same.

Anything that gives an unfair advantage that the game (for now) allows.
But that gives you an unfair advantage.

And yes the borderline on this can be pretty thin.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
"Gaming" the Game?
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 08:11:25 AM »
Originally posted by A8balls

Detail slider & flopping. I see your point.

Milk runs are a very big part of real history. Bomber pilots "scoring" without getting into a fight is exactly the point.

Anyone else?

ahhhh spoken like a true gamer  :D