Author Topic: Bomb sights in AvA  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »
I don't mind that bombsite we had it's just a lot of people didnt know how to use it.
Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
Originally posted by Redlegs
I don't mind that bombsite we had it's just a lot of people didnt know how to use it.

yep, really lot of new players here since it first came in to play, and they took it away  because of all the complaining....so they gave us the 1st  bombsight back....... I like the more complicated bombsight the best......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline hrdhrd

• Zinc Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »
I hate to be a dumb-a here but where are the instructions for 'Auto' bombing? (and yes I did read truekill's message above)
I'm not having much luck with accuracy. Better with manual  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:02:41 AM by hrdhrd »
~ The Avengers ~
Bomber Lead & Grunt Runner

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »
The original AH1 bombsight required no calibration and there were no formations, but the bombs were "laser" guided, you couldn't miss. It's still available and used for offline testing of hardness.

With the change to formations, a manual bombsight was introduced which took time to master and involved a degree of skill. The casual buff drivers were never able to master it so buffs were usually flown only by dedicated buff drivers. After the introduction of the newest, current bombsight, the only place left where you still saw the manual bombsight used was the AvA, now it's gone, again replaced by the MA bombsight.

Three bombsights:

:lol Laser guided bombsight (original)
:aok Manual calibration bombsight
:cry Standard aka MA bombsight
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Don't worry, the next map we use (if it's bigger) will DEFINITELY have the precision bomb sights.  It's the standard and you need to be careful for what you wish for.. not only will you have to do the calibrate for speed, you'll have to pick the alt

Best type of bombsight evar!

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
I say keep it MA style.

You want guys using bombers in this arena and less than 25% of the players will be able to use the manual calibration.

Manual isn't hard 'if' you take the time to learn it.  But most players won't.  I saw it in the MA and it will be the same here.   Guys will up bombers, miss, say 'what the #*&%@!' then never fly them again.
JG11

Vater

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »
Differing versions of how the bombsite works. I just want to know so I can actually HIT something I'm aiming at.
Rolling Thunder

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:14:25 PM »
Go to bombsight view.

Open your map, hit U, click on area you plan to bomb.

Close map. You'll see the target alt has probably changed from 0. Could be 1k, could be 182 feet, depends on where you clicked on the map.

Now pick a spot on the ground, and use your joystick to put the big crosshairs on it.

Hold Y, while keeping the crosshairs on this spot using your joystick.

The longer you hold Y, and more accurate you are holding the cross-hairs in place, the better accuracy you will have.

When you release Y, you'll see your calibrated speed has changed. You can check this against your E6B true air speed. If they match, bombs will be on target. If your calibrate speed is higher or lower, the bombs will go short or long respectively.

It's very, very easy once you've done it correctly.

If anybody sees me online, and needs a fast lesson in how the manual bombsight works, I'll be more than happy to teach you. Just send a PM to "ndy". This is "how it was" when I first started playing, and it's more satisfying than the easy-mode alternatives :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:16:35 PM by indy007 »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »
any way to set the manual site for off line practice? Started playing in Nov 06 and only knew about the MA site. My time has been limited the last couple weeks so I've been upping the 38 instead of a bomber so i can make the most of my time. thanks.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 01:40:06 AM »
Originally posted by whiteman
any way to set the manual site for off line practice?
Yes, it can be found under Arena settings (Options->Arena Setup->Environment->Arena Settings from the clipboard menu), FlightModeFlags, and IIRC there's "Auto calibrate bombsight" or something like that which you have to uncheck (I'm at work now so I can't check the correct name for the option, but it is under flight mode flags anyway).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:42:16 AM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 03:22:29 AM »
Thanks! :aok

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
Aces High Bombing / Calibration write ups ( from AH(1)  thru AH2 )

DmdShiva's write up: ( refers to AH1 - but is for precission bombsite calibration mode

http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/AH/Bombing1.html

Could not find the link to it: so copy & pasted from my file:
Kweassa's Write up on level bombing explained:

The level bombing method explained (by Kweassa)
Before we start, please do FORGET, all the glory moments you had before 1.10 where you would happily pick out every single fighter hangar and merrily knock them out at dweebish altitudes of 35k.
Level bombing is destruction by sheer brute force. Mighty multi-engine buffs do not pick out a single dot on the surface and pin it down. They select the whole area and smash it to smithereens.
I see people complaining that the new bombing model is not "accurate", "buffs are useless" and on and on………
Nothing is strange about these complaints. How can one expect it to be useful and accurate when you don't know how to do it?
Three buff boxes are accurate enough as to pick out a small 3 square mile area and pulverize whatever it is standing on it. If you are expecting to pick out a 30 square feet area, you're in the wrong plane. Try a Dauntless or D3A1 Val.
Here is the plane of choice for my demonstration on level-bombing: The Ju-88A
lets start the lessons.
1. Salvo and Delay
With the dot commands ".salvo" and ".delay", you can determine the amount of bombs dropped at a single pass, and the delay between bomb drops. This is the first thing you must do before going into a bomb run.
Now, as I told you, if you want effective brute force, forget all those "drop three here, drop three there" you were used to. Unless you've got way too much time in your hands and have nothing else to do, a level bombing run is one-pass event. Set salvo to maximum number of bombs you have.
The delay determines how much the bombs are spread out. A delay of about 0.75 covers a length of 3~4 mile long line which the bombs will be scattered about. Usually, the strat targets in AH requires a delay of no more than 0.75 since they aren't very large. Set delay between about 0.60 ~ 0.70.
2. Starting the Bomb Run
As I said earlier on, forget all the bombings you used to do. Level bombing does not pass over a target at 300mph, drop 3 bombs, turn on a dime, drop 3 more. Bomb runs are required.
A bomb run begins at about 6~8 miles prior to target. The desired altitude is between 10k~18k, any lower than that you are cannon fodder, any higher and don't expect any sort of 'good accuracy'. When a bomb run starts, you will approach at the target in a straight line at a stable speed. Accelerations or decelerations will kill off whatever calibration you've attempted - and this is the reason why a bomb run requires at least 6~8 miles. Starting a bomb run closer than that will not give you enough time to calibrate the sights.

(If your airspeed is too high, you will inevitably throttle down to buy enough time to calibrate. The buff will be slowing down as you calibrate, and thus, the speed when you drop the bombs will not be the same as the speed you calibrated the sights).
Set up a straight flight path, and set to about 75~80% maximum throttle.

3. Jump to the sight
After your buff formation reaches a steady speed and flight path, jump to the bomb sight by pressing (default) F6. You will see the familiar bomb sight, but there will also be a red checklist displayed - required for correct calibration process.

4. Beginning Calibration
Press the "U" key to begin calibration process. You'll notice the red check list has changed colors to yellow. In this checklist, the keys you have set for "Calibration mode ON/OFF" and "Mark target" are displayed.

5. Searching for the Target
Once the calibration mode starts, you can move the joystick around without moving the aircraft. With the joystick, you are able to move the bomb sight around.

Push up on the joy stick and try to look at the terrain before you. Spot out your target and set your cross hairs on it.

6. Marking the target
In the "marking" process, you are actually measuring the relative speed between the target and your plane. That's why you should never ever think of messing with the flight path or air speed once the bomb run starts.

When you have found your target, and have placed the cross hairs on it, zoom in with the "Z" key and control the zoom level(preferably maximum zoom) with "[" and "]" keys.

Once it is maximum zoomed in, press the (default) "Y" key for more than 2 seconds. Make sure the cross hairs don't move while you are doing this.

7. Setting Drop Altitude
Once you have successfully 'marked' the target, press the "ESC" key to bring up the clipboard. You don't necessarily have to go out of the bomber position to do this. Bring up the clipboard and control zoom on the map by using "Insert" and "Delete" function keys.

Then, click at the target on the map to set the drop altitude. The cross hairs may have moved out of the target, but once the marking process was finished, this doesn't matter.
8. "Bomb Bay Doors Open!"
Once you have both 'marked the target and set drop altitude, press the "O" key to open bomb bay doors. This is the last process you must go through in the calibration mode (in real life, the bomb bay doors will be opened up before calibration starts. you can choose to open the bomb bay doors first, too. The difference in accuracy isn't affected by much). Once the doors are open, you will notice all the red checklists have now turned yellow - meaning you have finished everything that is to be done at the calibration mode.
9. "Ready To Drop!"
Press the (default) "U" key once again to turn off the calibration mode and return to your normal bomb sight mode. You will see all the check list has turned green, meaning you are ready to start bombing.

You will also notice that the cross hairs have reverted to their original position. But this, is now your bomb sight which has been calibrated according to your flight data. You will drop bombs according to this bomb sight.
10. "Ready..."
Now you wait until the calibrated bomb sight moves close to the target.
11. "Aim...."
As the sight nears the target, use the "Z" "[" and "]" keys to control the zoom level.
12. "Fire....!"
Now is the time to drop! Remember, this is level bombing, nor a pin-point bombing. This sort of bombing covers an "area" not a "point". Therefore, you should start bombing when the cross hair reaches about the point circled out in the picture.

13. Viewing the Drop
Once you've pushed the drop button, the bombs will fall in an orderly fashion. After you hear bombs dropping out of the door, you may push the (default) "U" key to go to calibration mode again and see the bombs dropping in a very immersive/realistic manner. (Since the "drop bombs" button is pushed already, going into calibration will not effect the bombing results. The only thing which will effect the results are change in the bombers speed, flight path or altitude).

14. The Results
In the calibration mode, you will be able to observe the extent of damage done to the target. (In the picture, the impact starts right in the middle of the target. This is because when I was making this demonstration I dropped the bombs a little late - when the calibrated sight was right in the middle of the target.. I should have began dropping the bombs when it was at the position circled out earlier on)

Observe the results. Now, based on the picture, imagine what it would be like if there were just two more pilots, each in a 3-plane bomber box, to my left and right.
It would have smothered the whole area with bomb craters.

The new bombing model is not "inaccurate". The only way it would be inaccurate is if the people using it does not know how to do it correctly, that's all there is to it.

I reckon try practicing a bit before commenting about it.... and once more, FORGET what you were used to. This is something new. Adapt to it.

Level Bombing from the Trainer's Website:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/levelbombing/levelbombing.htm

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:53:58 PM by flatiron1 »

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 01:14:22 PM »
Ive found its easier to just go in at about 5k, wade through the ack and dump em out. Not dive bombing, its level, but Ive actually got pretty accurate with it. I use external view, and always go in the same alt and speed (approx).

~AoM~

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Bomb sights in AvA
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »
I haven't been to the arena yet since the latest round started, but I thought Fork set the bomb sight back to the precision (MA) one. But don't count on that, I might have misunderstood something.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3