Author Topic: Respect  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »
What happened to me last week was the most amazing thing that has happened to date.
====
What happened to you last week?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Respect
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 11:50:22 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Certain etiquette is required, by the law, HTC and the community.
That sums up the initial post.  Who rattled your cage?  Do you always take collective pronouns personally?
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Demanding, not only to be passionate but also about what and the way I suppose to be passionate IS demanding moral obedience. Unless you hold patent on morals, don't go there
Nobody demanded anything of YOU.  YOU are the one jumping in here and demanding the behavior YOU want from another person.

It's a good counter point to the idea of the decline of civility in the community though.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Respect
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »
I think what was referred to in the initial post is not truly respect, but rather just being decent, or civil. There seems to be a lot of juxtaposing of those terms around here.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Respect
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
What happened to me last week was the most amazing thing that has happened to date.    

This Community started to fracture about 3 years ago.

Mash's right-Thing's have definetely changed insofar as the way people treat each other.

BTW, Mash, if you get a chance, clean out your P.M. box-I tried to send you one, it said you were full.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Respect
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 12:32:22 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Who rattled your cage?
No worries, I wasn't all that serious...

Anyways, there were plenty of threads on this matter. It's pretty much the same it has been, just more of it...

Originally posted by hubsonfire
I think what was referred to in the initial post is not truly respect, but rather just being decent, or civil. There seems to be a lot of juxtaposing of those terms around here.
Point taken.

In that case your first answer pretty much tells what is needed to know.

As to the solution, as Murdr already mentioned, arena split was a good try, but due to whining HTC raised the caps considerably.

Send all new players in TA, few days mandatory boot camp before they gain access to other arenas. It won't change much, but who knows...

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Respect
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 12:33:37 AM »
Not to rain on the parade of doom and gloom, but I do believe there is a core group of players that do understand it's a game and that common courtesy is a reasonable thing to expect.

I know when I get time to fly there are all kinds of good folks on all sides just enjoying the flying, and the company.  Will there always be mouths and folks who just don't get it?  Sure.  That's not changed in the 10+ years I've flown online.  Bigger commuity, more of em i suppose, but also more good people too.

In the end the only thing we can control is what we bring to the game and the community.  No one can make me lose my cool and act up in the game but me.   It's the joy of having a choice in what I say on vox or what I type.

:aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Respect
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 01:24:41 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
What was a small community of AW and WB dweebs in their own private paradise is now a very large community where the old timers are a minority. There is no mechanism to police, and no reason to modify behavior. That's pretty much it, we just became too large a group for simple peer pressure to have any real effect on behavior.

lol   new people learn it from those here long time...........

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Respect
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 01:39:50 AM »
About the whole Disrespect thing, I agree but then I dont agree on it at all.
First off this is a video game, where kids and adults play, split rather even, with alot of forum trolls that will trash any forum post. Being a video game, saying a loved one died, is most likely going to draw good and bad into it simply because someone can make a fake account and trash that person for no reason other then good laugh. This wouldn't be the only forums people have posted personal things, But I do thing some posts that are personal on here need to be left in private or in the "Bag" being your squad channels only or PM friends. Honestly I think its admorable you'd post something personal here, but I dont think the community is that respectful or should some squeakers put it *care* for it. However this is a mixed community which is a rare quality, back in counterstrike days you couldn't post about your pet passing on without 200 slashing you.
Anyhow I think its up to one to judge if they really want to post something like this thats all.

Offline Acidreign

• Zinc Member
I agree
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 02:00:37 AM »
I agree with Adonai and a few others.

I would never post anything super personal on a board like this for the simple reason that it is a game forum after all, and it is inevitable that some butt nugget is gonna come along and trash it. It is likely to happen on ANY game forum, and i have played many online games over the years and frequented many game forums, these clowns exist everywhere, not just here.

Sorry for the loss of your mom, it's a hard thing to deal with the loss of anyone close to you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:04:52 AM by Acidreign »
GunzSS "Sheep Shagger's"

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Respect
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 02:13:57 AM »
Would definally be nice to post something like that and not have trolls to deal with, for sure if anything like that was said in person would be different out come.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Respect
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 02:18:41 AM »
Darn..was hoping for an Otis Redding thread.:(
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Respect
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:52 AM »
I like Aretha's rendition better :)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Respect
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 03:31:07 AM »
While I DO agree with much that was posted, I must add that when I asked a question about "how do I" when I first stated flying AirWarrior back in 1996, I fell prey to the "alt f/4" trick.

People have been doing that for decades now.

All in all I don't think the community has changed THAT much over the years.  It is just much LARGER, and it's flaws are more apparent.

We have always had mouthy idiots.

I can recall many players 10+ years ago that loved nothing more than to upset as many players in the game as they could.

I also don't think the average age of the player base has changed that much either.  I DO think it's a lot less "mature" though.  The "post a picture" threads always blow me away when I find out a player I would have SWORN was 18-24yrs old from how they act was actually 40+ yrs old.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Respect
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 04:15:35 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
Mash's right-Thing's have definetely changed insofar as the way people treat each other.

BTW, Mash, if you get a chance, clean out your P.M. box-I tried to send you one, it said you were full.
Fire it off.   PM's cleared.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
Respect ?
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 05:58:42 AM »
Interesting threads gents !

Only been playing for 16mths and l already noticed its always the same players causing Sh__t
Anyone they come accross, in flight or simply making comments in this forum, all hell breaks lose :(

Now I hear about'em but try not to judge anyone UNTIL I encounter these individuals. And YES, rhumors always has a certain % of truth. When you see what they write and how they behave in the game, they lack of respect:(

Some players are making some part of this game unpleasant.

Always the same guys stiring up the pot:lol

I guess the best way to stay out is to TUNE OUT !(ch 200 & squelch)

Phil / OPP7755:aok