Author Topic: not much fun  (Read 2113 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »
At what altitudes, though?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Germans also have better endurance, better guns, and more ammo. Also, the only thing the 109 really CAN'T do against the Yak is run. However most other categories they're a very close match.

The Lavochkins and Yakovlevs can out-accelerate out-run and out-turn the 109G6. The only thing the G6 can do better is climb.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
not much fun
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
The difference in acceleration is measured in 10ths of a second.

The difference in turn radius's is about 30 feet at the max.

This is between the 109G6 and the two Russian planes.

This is all based on below 20k.

The Russians have a clear edge in speed. the Germans have a clear edge in fire power (190A5) and climb rate(109G6). Maneuverability is close to a tie.

Look it up  Select any 4 AC for comparison.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:35:41 PM by SLED »
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
What about above 20K?

Also, still wondering about the clouds.................

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
not much fun
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
Just speed huh?  No big deal really .  In a flight sim, who needs it?

:O :cry
JG11

Vater

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
not much fun
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 03:37:40 PM »
Originally posted by Virage
Just speed huh?  No big deal really .  In a flight sim, who needs it?

:O :cry

Ya, but you being a member of JG11's finest, you can figure out how to deal with that.

;)
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
not much fun
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »
Originally posted by VonMessa
What about above 20K?

Also, still wondering about the clouds.................

With a 20k ceiling, does it matter? Any decent Yak or La pilot wants nothing to do with alt's over 15k anyhow.

I'm not part of the design or setup team on this event, so I don't know about the clouds. Hopefully Stoney or Gaiden will be along to answer that for you Von.

:)
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
not much fun
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
Cloud layers at specific altitudes require a special cloud/effects file to be loaded onto HTC's server.  For this terrain, to the best of my knowledge, no such cloud/weather system has been built by our terrain team.

I may be incorrect in regards to the cloud layer, but for the KOTH's cloud layer at 6k, that was something DUX created, sent to skuzzy for building/loading onto the events server and is map specific.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
I'm only asking because it was listed in the event description.  I was kinda curious how it would be done anyway.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
not much fun
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
There was a special cloud file built for this terrain and this FSO. The original write-up for this FSO required overcast at 20-30K. That was in AH1. In AH2, we do not have the same overcast option we once had, so what we have now is a poor representation of the original idea. It is, however, the best we'll get out of the system we have.

What we have now is patchy thick clouds, not a solid bank. Those who are saying that they saw *no* clouds at all... I have to wonder where you were flying.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:16:00 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
not much fun
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »
see I knew someone who was smarter at terrains would be along to fix my misinformation.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
Well, that "clears it up" for me. (pun intended)

I just didn't see what I was expecting, I guess.  I was looking for the completely obscure version.  Honestly, I was mildly concerned that if I did bump into it that it was going to flush my frame rate.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
not much fun
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
Originally posted by 1redrum
fester i was with you saw the whole thing and its your tactics , you all dove down to the deck and got gang banged ,that was what the allies wanted to sucker you low and fight on their terms . MA tactics don't work in the events , at least not very well

That is an absolute fabrication at worst or a misjudgement at best..  We stayed high with a flight of yaks at around 17kish until we saw no more.. Perhaps just a few yaks already engaged..  Flying south we encounted a group of il2s around 12-14k..  3 of us engaged while the il2s pulled evasives from us while watching our attack from external views..  We got a couple and on Fester's zoom out from an attack got 1 ping that got his vert stab I believe..  I made one more boom and zoom on a group of 2-3 il2s.. missing my attack do to poor aim and the il2's external view.. on my zoom up at around 300-350mph I see a il2 600d on my 6 closing very fast.. Obviously my turn was poor because i died, but who'd have thought I'd get bnz'd by a il2. lol  

There was no ganging that killed us.. Just a set of unfortunite events.. and perhaps even a touch of swayed rules..

External views should be disabled on iL2s (and all bombers for that matter).. Its bad enough having to dodge 3-4 of them at a time all firing headon at you, but to also have the upperhand taken away (il2's 6 O'clk) where the 109 can excell is a little too much in a realistic scene...

Do 110s (german's only bomber) have external views? no, I didn't think so..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:26:34 PM by TheDudeDVant »

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
not much fun
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »
I'm interested to know how you know external views were enabled.
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
not much fun
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:01 PM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
That is an absolute fabrication at worst or a misjudgement at best..  We stayed high with a flight of yaks at around 17kish until we saw no more.. Perhaps just a few yaks already engaged..  Flying south we encounted a group of il2s around 12-14k..  3 of us engaged while the il2s pulled evasives from us while watching our attack from external views..  We got a couple and on Fester's zoom out from an attack got 1 ping that got his vert stab I believe..  I made one more boom and zoom on a group of 2-3 il2s.. missing my attack do to poor aim and the il2's external view.. on my zoom up at around 300-350mph I see a il2 600d on my 6 closing very fast.. Obviously my turn was poor because i died, but who'd have thought I'd get bnz'd by a il2. lol  

There was no ganging that killed us.. Just a set of unfortunite events.. and perhaps even a touch of swayed rules..

External views should be disabled on iL2s (and all bombers for that matter).. Its bad enough having to dodge 3-4 of them at a time all firing headon at you, but to also have the upperhand taken away (il2's 6 O'clk) where the 109 can excell is a little too much in a realistic scene...

Do 110s (german's only bomber) have external views? no, I didn't think so..

I was one of those il2's I can say for sure I had my views internal, I'm pretty sure the rest of GIAP had theirs on internal as well. We're not the "gameing" type. Bear in mind that the il2 is pretty much one of our squads' bread and butter planes, we know how to use it's strengths well. Don't go complaining about the fact you guys followed us down to the deck where you could be ganged, that's not our problem. We were at 10k when we encountered you, and we let you come in and then dove to get our E up to be comparable, we then used that  advantage once we had you down there. The il2's cannon are deadly against armour, even more so against aircraft.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder