Author Topic: not much fun  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
not much fun
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
its bad enough flying a 1943 109g6 vs 1944 la5fn and yak9u. both of which can run away at will. then having an artificial altitude cap that cant be crossed at all even when fighting negating the only advantage the 50mph slower g6 has... climb rate and alt performance.

but when you have what are supposed to be heavy and slugish il2 ground attack aircraft doing the up down +/- g warp evasion and flying their screwed up FM with lazer guns in a dogfight killing 109s with 1 ping all immersion is lost. I wouldnt doubt it if the il2s even had external views enabled. that would be icing on the cake if that was so. they sure had no trouble seeing planes in their blindspots.

this event is so screwed up its not even worth flying. hope the next one is less lopsided.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
not much fun
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
and since it is clear no one is interested in a realistic 1943 scenario you might be better off pitting the 109k4 vs the yak9u. which ironically the k4/g10 was in service long before the yak9u was.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
not much fun
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:15:52 AM »
Not so bad if you play your hand right... The yak's and la5's are able to be defeated if you have good SA, Communcation, teamwork, and some Pilot skills.

There honestly not that difficult to defend fester. Just can't go blowing all of your E on one con and choose your attacks carefully. JG/11 did super well last night. Ground pounding and Air to Air.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
not much fun
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
The Axis had 164 kills. The Allies had 153 kills. Pretty close in my book.

Kappa and BearKats your very own squadies have been in the top pilots in both the frames so far.

But we are not interested in realistic 1943 events, so please keep the whining to a minimum. On the other hand should you write up a FSO that is realistic I am sure ROC and Sled would be happy to look it over.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
not much fun
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
The Axis had 164 kills. The Allies had 153 kills. Pretty close in my book.

Kappa and BearKats your very own squadies have been in the top pilots in both the frames so far.

But we are not interested in realistic 1943 events, so please keep the whining to a minimum. On the other hand should you write up a FSO that is realistic I am sure ROC and Sled would be happy to look it over.

Had to admit, this one throw me off.................

"But we are not interested in realistic 1943 events"

I have to ask, were you serious or being sarcastic?

Sarcastic I understand, but serious?  Would you be willing to explain this to me and others on why FSO's should not be designed with realism/historical aspects in mind in this statement is serious.  

Not trying to start anything, but this statement really made me double take and am curious as to why.
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
not much fun
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
AKKaz I was poking fun at Cit because he said and I quote,
and since it is clear no one is interested in a realistic 1943 scenario you might be better off pitting the 109k4 vs the yak9u.

Of course we try to make them as realistic as possible. Read his post again Kaz. :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
not much fun
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
Awesome looking skin on the P-39 Fester :aok

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
WHahh
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »
Muppet got ownt! thats why he cries lol  NO NAME IN LIGHTS:rofl  
Overall it was very fair, alt cap aside it was a very close frame. The alt cap should be removed I agree! but i can tell you in our sector it was ignored completely by the germans. Our 1st contact after rearm was approx 25 190s between 20 and 25 K. The only thing that I thought was a little unsettling was during our 1st engagement we swept the skies clean of all 109s, after rearm we returned thinking we had gained a margin of local superiority only to be very very suprised what was laying in wait for us:eek: There were allot more GVers that upped 190s than we ever expected! The odds were easily 2-3 to 1 german favor, very shocking when your squad is now at half strenth--> 9 soles-------> lesson learned.:D

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
not much fun
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »
Fester I understand your frustration with your experience in FSO this last Friday. I know exactly how you feel.

I had my rudder removed with one ping about 23 seconds into my first fight this last Friday. It was Kappa. :lol

I am more than a little familiar with the "Short Night" in FSO. ;) To be quite honest even the best of pilots have them in FSO, they just have less of them.

So far the over all response from this last Friday is very positive. And that is our main concern. There were some rule violations, and that will be dealt with.

One true fact in FSO. No matter how good the squad or pilot, sometimes you get the Lady, sometimes you get the Tiger.

:aok
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
not much fun
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »
Let's not make this 'Fester had a bad Day'.

I would like to know the reason for the 20k artificial cap. It was one question that didn't get answered in the 'Questions thread'.  It insures the yak9u performance superiority.  It is arbitrary and clearly favors the soviets.  And they already have the best ride.

No one has mentioned the lack of 20k cloud cover that was listed in the scenario btw.  I suggest it be included in the 3rd round to help reduce violations of the alt cap.
JG11

Vater

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
Virage,

I think part of the reason is that the Eastern Front was predominantly a low-altitude tactical air war, as opposed to the high-altitude strategic warfare of the Western Front. Additionally, things like mountain ranges tended to increase the altitudes of engagements in the Pacific and CBI theaters, as well.

The cap is to ENSURE a low-altitude tactical air war.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
not much fun
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »
fester i was with you saw the whole thing and its your tactics , you all dove down to the deck and got gang banged ,that was what the allies wanted to sucker you low and fight on their terms . MA tactics don't work in the events , at least not very well
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:18:45 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Virage,

I think part of the reason is that the Eastern Front was predominantly a low-altitude tactical air war, as opposed to the high-altitude strategic warfare of the Western Front. Additionally, things like mountain ranges tended to increase the altitudes of engagements in the Pacific and CBI theaters, as well.

The cap is to ENSURE a low-altitude tactical air war.

To ENSURE the Soviet advantage in every way, almost?  The only disadvantage they would have is that their aircraft is still not as handsome as the German's.

And about that cloud cover mentioned ..............
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
not much fun
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 07:30:26 AM »
Germans also have better endurance, better guns, and more ammo. Also, the only thing the 109 really CAN'T do against the Yak is run. However most other categories they're a very close match.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
not much fun
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Germans also have better endurance, better guns, and more ammo. Also, the only thing the 109 really CAN'T do against the Yak is run. However most other categories they're a very close match.

Correct. Pull up the yak9u, la5, 109g6, and 190a5, in the AH plane comparison page and you will see they are really quite close In all but speed.
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.