Author Topic: An introduction to reality for people who object to "Hangar Queens"  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
An introduction to reality for people who object to "Hangar Queens"
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »
There is no such thing as a hanger queen.
If your sufficiently inspired, (heps to be sneaky) you can go out and get kills in the D3a1 Val.

So why wouldn't we want EACH AND EVERY SINGLE BLOODY PLANE we can get? More planes = diversity, choice, options.
How does having a plane in the set that you don't fly hurt ANYONE?

Simple answer, it doesn't.

At worst all you can say is it takes dev time away from a plane you'd rather have. However, in this case, the people have spoken. HTC is modeling planes that were voted on. P39 was second only to the B25h. And the b25h is certainly no hanger queen. Nor is it the end to all tank fights that some thought it would be.

What it is however is one FUN plane to fly. And for that exact same reason I can't wait to get my hands on the p39.

My only question was, what was next? Anyone remember

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
IIRC
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:27 AM »
Me410 and G55 were next.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:13 AM »
On the first round of voting, the Brewster got 5% of the votes. It should definately be the next plane. ;)

Final voting results.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 07:39:53 AM »
Well dang, I guess it's A26 and Yak3 next..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
Put it this way...There's a lot of people that like to fly the F4u's...But the funny thing is, the best of the lot, the F4U-4, isn't flown much at all...because of that little perk cost. Makes' you wonder, doesn't it...?

I think it's not so much the price because the F4U-4 really dosn't cost much. I think it's more due to the fact that so many people in here can't shoot worth a damn and NEED the CANNONS of the C to help compensate for their poor aim, get a lucky ping or two and take the NME plane down...

I see many more C's up than I do the 4 even though the 4 is a monster and the only perk plane I'll generally pay for. Only complaint I have about the 4 is it eats gas. :)

And now on topic, any new plane is great.. I can't wait to try the Q I love the 9T and even if the 37mm in the Q is slower firing I figure it will just take more patience and good aim :)

I fly the hanger queens a bunch and the nice thing is that I am hardly ever affected by ENY limitations while everyone else is screaming like hell on country or 200 lol :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:24:21 AM by Flayed1 »
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
My obsolete antiquated favorite:

Swordfish

Bring the Swordfish to AH2!

I'll fly it.  I'll die just like I do when I make a torpedo run in a JU88, but I'll fly it.

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:06 AM »
He 111.:aok
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »
A-26 is a perk plane.  Perk planes = hangar queens.

My whole arguement is that adding hangar queens is fine and dandy.  Bring 'em on.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »
I dont know how much of an improvement the A-26 will be over the A-20 with regard to gameplay. Biggest real difference will be the increased maximim speed you can carry but I'd assume that overall handling might suffer a bit combared to the A-20. From what I've read the wing strengthening didnt result in even a 10% increase in max dive speed so I'm not sure just how much better the A-26 will be "in game".

Personally I'd like to see the major russian variations of the A-20 instead. The russians flew more A-20's then anyone else and used them extensively in a variety of roles. Many were converted back to the 4x20mm loadout and the naval patrol version had the bombay converted to another fuel tank and was fitted for 2 torpedeos.

As much as I'd love to see the A-26 I think either a fighter like the G.55/Yak-3 or another attack bird like the 410 would make more sense (along of course with the "reworked" A-20).

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
A-26 is a perk plane.  Perk planes = hangar queens.

My whole arguement is that adding hangar queens is fine and dandy.  Bring 'em on.

I dont think the A-26 would really be a perk plane, it only did 355 and its 6000 lb loadout isnt anymore then a B-25. No question the 14 x .50's is a load but more then the 110s mix of 20mm/30mm?

It wouldnt unbalance game play any more then a mossie or B-25 does IMO. Assuming better structural strength in exchange for lesser handling the A-26 wouldnt really outshine the A-20 in an air to air by a huge margin.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »
Originally posted by JScore
Not to hijack the thread, Trigger, but I just clicked on your "best thread" link at the bottom of your sig, and that is absolutely, without a doubt, the funniest thread I've ever seen.  Again, sry for offtopic.  Continue.

"You have much to learn, Grasshopper..."

The balloon thread was cute, and pretty funny at times (favorite was the bish horde ENY crack). But you have not explored the lore of AH until you've checked out these gems:

The Commander Akria Thread  What really makes this hilarious is that the thread starter and mony others posting were actually some of the All-Time Best AH pilots wearing shades. You won't see a better spoof of squeaker culture!

Operation Meatpuppet First proposed by now-HTC employee Waffle, a team of brilliantly wicked AH'ers descended on the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals message boards with one purpose: TROLL! They went way over the legal limit on gullible fish, with such treasures as the "My fish is stupid. I put it on the floor and it couldn't even find its way back to the bowl," and the gutbusting and infamous "deer in the garage" ploy.

The (unfortunately gutted) Waffle vs JB88 thread  This would contend for the best, but unfortunately an awful lot of the links have died. Having seen it in its original glory, with photoshopped gems and clever jokes, it's almost painful to try and read it now -- but if you haven't seen it, there are some really good laughs in there.

I remember a few other good ones (couldn't find the one about the guy who put a pancake up for sale on Ebay -- and got takers), but this will give you a flavor. Don't set your sights too low: some of the most diabolically clever people I've met hang around here, and if you watch you'll see outrageously funny stuff!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »
humble,

Pyro has listed it as a future perk plane and said as much to me in conversation.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »
Originally posted by Hazzer
He 111.:aok

What he said!

OR

Newer model of the STUKA!  Heck, even perk it if it gets the 37mm's.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
 I see many more C's up than I do the 4 even though the 4 is a monster and the only perk plane I'll generally pay for. Only complaint I have about the 4 is it eats gas. :) ...

Exactly.  By the time you are competent enough in a Corsair to do reasonably well in the F4U-4 in arena play, you're generally good enough that the -1A's pretty decent performance compared to the -4 and it's much greater flexibility as a result of greater range makes it a better overall "deal", generally.  

And if you care about building perks, it's much better to gain perks in.  

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
humble,

Pyro has listed it as a future perk plane and said as much to me in conversation.

I'd love to have it either way, and obviously Pyro can do what he wants:D .
Looking at it objectively I simply dont see how you'd arrive at a logical decision to "perk it" when you have so many other "uber" non perk rides. Now as the planeset continues to grow then maybe an overall reworking of the perk values would bring some sense to it. But to have a P-51D, La-7, Ta-152, 109K-4 (chosen since they all sit at the top of their respective "foodchains") non perked and the A-26 perked is a bit ludicrous IMO. While the A-26 will be fairly formidable for those who take the time to learn it (Just like the mossie, 110, A-20) it'll still be just another target in the scheme of things.