Author Topic: PC Gaming Market Declining  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
PC Gaming Market Declining
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 08:32:39 AM »
Originally posted by Darkish
It's just that the console technology has finaly caught up with the pc.  Mind you, the way prices are going, a mid range pc is gonna cost the same as a console soon.

That will never happen, because the consoles are sold for under the manufacturing costs of a single unit. It's all thanks to the monopoly over the consoles - the real profit comes from the games and accessories.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 09:12:19 AM »
PS3 was what, $500-700 depending on the version?

You can almost get a bargain-basement Wal-Mart branded PC for that.

Hell, I could put together a respectable, even if it's NOT mind-blowing, gaming PC for that.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »
Originally posted by Saxman
PS3 was what, $500-700 depending on the version?

You can almost get a bargain-basement Wal-Mart branded PC for that.

Hell, I could put together a respectable, even if it's NOT mind-blowing, gaming PC for that.

Now $399 and $499
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke

I wish that someone (PC GAME MAKER APPLY HERE) would make an AC130 type game. One that would be similar to that last B-17 game where you could man multiple stations from the bombadier, navigator, co-pilot, etc... If they did that in an AC130 (NO NOT BF2 or whatever it was that had one.) then I can guarantee that I would spend some cash on it. Even if it was a add-on to Lock-On or something along those lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-11684-Fighters-Anthology/dp/B00002EPYG

Was the first combat sim I played back in the day.  It had the AC130 with the different gun cams.  Of course this game is circa 1997 and you'll need a fast Pentium 100mhz or so to run her.  However, the coding for the game doesn't like newer processor.  I remember trying it out when I built my P4 system about 5 years ago and it ran about 10FPS.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »
Here's one I wish someone would remake: Megafortress
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Here's one I wish someone would remake: Megafortress

That was a great game and a great book by Dale Browne.

I also miss F-15 strike eagle and F-19 stealth.  Those games I played for hours.

I also Played Secrete Weapons of the Luffwaffa (what turned my love of WW2 air combat)

There was also a game with helicopters and you could pick the blackhawk, Apache, and cobra but i cant remember the name.  All those games gave me countless hours of fun when I was younger.

Now you need to read 709 pages of readme files, and 40 hours of flight time just to figure out how to take off in Falcon 4.0

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »

Still the BEST air-combat simulation ever.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »
Got to remind you all that PS3 has a supercomputing processor.  It's yet to be used to full potential. This console is good for another ~8 to 10 years.

I've yet to see new PC games that can be run in full high def mode like PS3s (1080p)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2008, 07:12:49 PM »
The first aerial combat simulator I flew was a DOS game called JETFIGHT
It would fit on a 1.44MB floppy :lol
I flew F15 Strike Eagle for a while which was pretty cool even though it became predicable after a while.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »
There is an online flight sim for the PS3. It's called Warhawk.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/2742/Warhawk-Review.htm

It's obviously recycled Planetside code. You can do aerial combat, but also jump out and run into tanks and even be a foot soldier.

The MP limit per server instance on the PS3 network is 32, which doesn't approach Planetside's code.

There are no realistic physics, no historically accurate flight dynamics. But there is also no lag, and it supports voice.

It is downloadable online from the PS network, and I played it at a friend's house. It's not something you "get into" like AH, but it's alot of fun. Now that UT is out for the PS3 network, I doubt it will catch on, but it's more of a real flight sim than any of the Battlefield games are. When you get a Warhawk, you actually have to "fly" it, it's a plane with some flight dynamics, unlike the spaceships of most FPS games.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »
Good, I still remember flying "Super Huey" on my C-64 and thinking that was simply awesome  :)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »
I still remember that neat space game on Atari that had mother ships you had to use reload and full 360 degree movement.

Best early PC game I had was BOB Their Finest hour. I played that thing for months. I finally got it down to being able to make a kill with 8 rounds total from the guns.

What switched me from Apple to a PC was the difference in games. The PC absolutely owned Apple in the game department. I've never had any inclination to switch back.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown