Author Topic: The War is offically over. Now what?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
The War is offically over. Now what?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »
I re-subbed to try the "new" AvA and it has been worth it!  Way more fun than the MAs or old AvA.

I'm more of a casual player so I can't speak to the more detailed rules and objectives but one thing I would put forward would be to reduce the dotdar to the MA range (make folks look for the bandits), but turn on the bardar for opponents.

Too often, if the front line radars have been taken down, it looks like there is nothing going on in the arena except some friendlies flying around.  So guys spawn in, look around and then spawn out because they can't see where the action is.

Edit:  Loved the low vis range too!

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
Originally posted by MjTalon
What can we do to improve the war?  Made it Themed please, yes it was axis vs allies, But i'd rather have USAF vs Luftwaffe, or Russian vs LW, etc.  Was still great overall war though!
Yes, I'd like to see that too, but unfortunately the Pacific war still is missing some of the important planes (Japanese planes), as is the Soviet vs Luftwaffe (Soviet planes). The current planeset only allows us "a war" in the Western European theatre.

I'd like to see some bipes for Mediterranean action. Oh, and the Spanish Civil War - where's Arlo when you need him? :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
Originally posted by Trukk
but turn on the bardar for opponents.
Okay, that's a good idea, maybe delay it a bit but at least it lets the opponents know where there is action. Might make it a bit easier for a new guy to hop in.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
One more thing, the more complex bombsite is great!  Much more fun than the point-n-drop site.

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 04:19:41 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
Okay, that's a good idea, maybe delay it a bit but at least it lets the opponents know where there is action. Might make it a bit easier for a new guy to hop in.

That would be fine.

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
Re: The War is offically over. Now what?
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
Good evening, gentlemen!

First of all, my to AvA Staff for the excellent work! Congratulations! You've made it! You managed to bring AvA back to life and keep his basic principles! Jolly good show! Thank you!

Secondly, my to the Axis combatants and to their leader, Generalleutnant Truekill! Excellent job, excellent organization and good performance! Congratulations all!

In third place, let me finally Truekill, Storch, Jaeger and those that I shot down and shot me down in these last five weeks, including all I forget to mention. After my outburst with Ontos - wich I will not forget - I detuned Ch200 so, no brain picking but no salutes back either...

And last, but not the least, I wish to and congratulate our CO, Chapel, on his leadership, calm and responsible, that gave us Allies 2 victories in very complicated situations, extending my to Vanscrew, Jolly and all Allied participants in what I consider to have been the best AvA initiative in the last couple of years. Thank you all.

Now, replying to Fork's post and feedback request:

I second entirely Chape's opinions and, if I may, I would like to add some of my own:

a) What went right?
Generally speaking, everything. Strat importance, secret objectives, displacement points, low tonnage resistent hangars, large troop numbers for capture, the planeset evolution and map rotation, kept things allways interesting. It was a pleasure to complete these 5 weeks and a torture too, for flying so little, It never left my mind for a single day...

b) What could of been better?
The anti-milkrunning measures are a bit too complex, I sincerely believe that they are quite crippling and annoying. The mixed bag of German/Japanese/Italian and British/American/Russian planes should have been avoided...GV war could have been improved a bit...more spawn points but not so close to bases as they usually are. Dar bar was missed.

c) What do you think we could of done that would of improved the war?

Accept milkrunning as a fact of life; stop the photografic proof of capture, but keep the point counting, just like the sector points, aswell;

Keep hangars soft and increase buildings and technical equipment (not ack) downtimes to somewhere between 6 and 12 hours, more with factories damaged;

Increase Factory/Strat Target downtimes to somewhere between 12 and 18 hours;

Increase the number of troops required to take a base by 50% across the board but keep the minimum numbers required different for a Vehicle Base, a Small Airfield, a Medium Airfield and a Large Airfield;

Introduce a variable in the general scoring to simulate attrition and promote the landing of the flights: a factor found by the subtraction of the kills one side got minus the killed that side suffered multiplied by the ratio between total sorties made divided by total sorties landed. The formula looks like this, forgive me all mathematicians:

Total Allied Kills - Total Allied Deaths * (Total Allied Sorties Made / Total Allied Sorties Landed = Allied Atrittion Factor

Give a value to sector captures (10 points), another to field captures (3 points), another to strat % destruction or damage (10 points for 100% to 75%, 5 points to 74% to 50%, 3 points for 49% to 25%, 1 point for 24% to 5%, 0 points to 4% or less), find a total score and apply the Side Attrition Factor.

Try to roll the maps as close as possible of the developments of WW2, using the large maps, even if necessary to disable large areas on those maps;

Increase airstart points, limited to heavy bombers only and available only from rear Large Airfields; set them 20,000 feet high;

Limit side switching for, at least 12 hours.

Do not mix aircraft's country of origin: no more British, American and Russian planes available at the same bases;

Do not allow availability of medium and heavy bombers in small bases, only medium and large airfields;

Restrict CV aircraft compliment to naval aircraft and amphibious assault equipment;

Enhance fuel burn to realistic rates;

Include more clouds and simple weather effects for more atmosphere;

That's all for now.

Once more,

Thank You All!

P.S.: where's my medal?
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 05:51:29 PM »
Originally posted by captain1ma
please note, there is now a 500 sheep bounty on bustr for being a "not so nice" person.

please inform the troops. he is to be beaten on sight with wet noodles. 500 sheep goes to the first one to spot him!!!

that is all!!................

Dern, I'll have to go back to SkyRock for a refresher course on NOT NICE.....he will be dissapointed in how lame my bounty is....:D
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline rossco302

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »
Things to keep:

1.AvA bombsite.  If you have ever looked thru the original Norden bombsite, it is much more complicated than the MA point and click.

2. Airstarts: Do away with them. As a diehard/historical buff driver, we,  (484thBGH) fly for the hour or so it takes us to climb to historical altitudes (22-25K). Most buff groups will fly the historical altitude given the right setup.

We dont like to be flying clay pigeons, but with fighter groups like Trukk's 78th and the 4th FG flying high cover, we will take our chances.

rossco302
XO 484th BGH
15thAF

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 07:11:09 AM »
still no word from the allieds?

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
Originally posted by heythere
still no word from the allieds?

We've no more points to claim. I think Fork and Soda are just compiling information for medals and such.
Rolling Thunder

Offline justyy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »
Well what went well was rolling plane set with some added from points which at first i thought our CO AKA TK had lost his mind but after actually flying some of these planes began to see his way of think still not good in the Axis planes yet but im getting there. Another thing i liked was the objectives that each side had to accomplish to win not just massive numbers to over run the enemy. Liked the stats being bonus if we took em down made resupply and rebuild times more realistic with out supplies or factories hard to rebuild a base. Didn't like the dar bars but i like the dar range. Thought both sides fought realy well and both sides tried their best to accomplish their objects want both for a great war last 5 weeks.
justyy
Crap not another bomber sortie

Offline hrdhrd

• Zinc Member
War!
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »
Ignore the nay-sayers. Bring on another War!
Best time we've had for ages! Well done all the planners and organizers.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:04:43 PM by hrdhrd »
~ The Avengers ~
Bomber Lead & Grunt Runner

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »
I would really like to see an Eastern Front War when the new update comes out.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 01:22:20 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
I would really like to see an Eastern Front War when the new update comes out.

I agree!
P-47 pilot

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 01:35:44 PM »
As someone else said already the airstarts need to go. I know they are built into the map but easy way to get rid of them is disable all planes/GV from them. If someone wants to take the time to capture it let them. It will count for no points and they cant use it.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner