Author Topic: The War is offically over. Now what?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
The War is offically over. Now what?
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:23:21 AM »
I want to congratulate both sides on a very hard fought war.  We are still waiting for the Allied forces to post their points before we can determine a winner.

Either way, this has been a fun 5 weeks with long hard fought battles on both sides.  I want to personally thank Commanders  Chapel and Truekil for their hard work in coordinating both sides in their successful campaigns.

So, what's next?  We'll post a 'breather' setup for you guys this week but we wish to continue this style of gameplay after receiving feedback.

We are looking for:
a) What went right?

b) What could of been better?

c) What do you think we could of done that would of improved the war?

Keep your ideas within the context of the existing game.  New functionality ideas are great, but post those in the Wish forum.

We'll announce all awards and medals shortly as soon as we have had time to breath, and the winner of the war once all the stats are in.

Cheers!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
i personally thought it was great. there was some fun stuff and some not so fun stuff.

1. releasing planes at certain time-- awesome. gives you something to look forward to. also forces you to work with what you have and make it work to your advantage. even when out numbered.

2. distances between bases could be a bit shorter only refering to this last map. also i think its tough on guys with lessor computers to work with the big maps. we had one guy that kept getting booted and i think map size had something to do with it.

3. i think it was fun to have to go after specific goals rather then just taking bases. going after goals made it that much more interesting.

4. i think alot of people have trouble with the bombing and think that the bombsite should be set to easy for those of us(myself included) that don't have a good handle on that type of bombing. i had to resort to strafe bombing because of my inability to set up the bombsite.

please bear in mind that i am new at this game and enjoy it thoroughly. although i die at a ridiculous rate, i have a great time playing.

my thanks to those people responsible for making this a fun scenario and the technology behind it.

id also like to thank the veteran players for trying to help me become a better pilot!! I'm getting there but slowly. thanks for the fun

HTC, keep up the good work.

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Re: The War is offically over. Now what?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
a) What went right?
Objectives, something to get the squads together to accomplish.  High troop numbers to capture, keeps milkers away and forces even more teamwork.

b) What could of been better?
At first the Italy and larger maps were a boon, but in retrospect I believe smaller maps would be more appropriate.  We had better fights and more coordination with the smaller map.  The initial map with the 35+ troops to capture might be perfect.

GV battles were essentially meaningless this round.  Perhaps a GV only day or two?  We used to do this in the past in the AvA.  I'm not sure how to get more GV action, but it would be interesting at least now and then.

c) What do you think we could of done that would of improved the war?
More squad participation.  Individuals are great, but it's squad vs squad that really makes the game intense.  Maybe once we sport our medals other squads will join in.

Also, maybe if we could keep the negativity down in the forums other squads might be more interested.  I understand everyone gets frustrated but if we could all agree to not post in the heat of the moment...it would be better.  (I'm guilty of this as well.)  The AvA hasn't been near as bad as the forum would suggest.

I believe Jaeger's propaganda posts are some of what we need.  We need a little roleplay.  Less smack, more 'in character' talk.  Maybe along with commander we have a Propaganda Chief or something.  Someone designated for each side that could spin the evenings events on the forum in a lighthearted way...much like Jaeger did.

I believe the spirit of the AvA is about 'reliving history' as compared to the MA's spirit of competition above all else.  A little roleplay similar to Luttrel's weekly squad reporting in to TK may do us some good.  Corny, maybe...but really sort of builds the spirit of what the AvA is all about.

Just my thoughts.  :)
P-47 pilot

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
+1 The war scenario has clearly worked out for the AvA. wtg

+1 The old calibration method is a welcome staple of the AvA. Keep it up.

-1 The lack of side switching has increased the animosity between some of the players. In the old AvA culture, you would find your opposition flying as your wingman as often as not.

I've flown more hours in the AvA these last 5 weeks then in the entire last year in the MAs. Well done AvA staff this was fun.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »
good set up but I hope to never see it again however if you do decide to reprise this set up then I strongly urge for the need to keep the milkers from soiling the spirit of the game.  

the first two frames were allied victories obtained by purely milking attacks and often with 4 to 1 or better odds in their favor.  that should not be allowed.  I would propose that scoring potential be limited to a six hour time period to coincide with the times that most players frequent the arena.  I propose that confirmation for the victory be veryified and authenticated by the opposing team captain.

the respective team captains must be willing to be in the arena regularly.  the axis commander is a great example of a team leader should perform his responsibilty (<<>> truekill).  there should be a chain of command with subordinate officers per side who are trustworthy and may speak for the team in an official capacity.

there should be no side switching allowed.  if a person switches countries he should not be allowed to make another switch for the maximum allowable time.

what went right?  the overall idea went very right if the only criteria is to get bodies into the arena.  by the fifth week you basically the regulars on anyway.  some of the visitors expressed that they did not participate once the jets arrived.  while one person stated this openly the sentiment was clearly held by many as evidenced by the sharp drop in allied participants in the last week and especially during the last two days of the event.

what could have been better?  certain aspects of the execution especially with regard to the posting of assets.  on the last map those airstarts complete blew the set up in my opinion.  there should be no airstarts at all.  what struck me as hilarious is that when certain abusers of the airstarts are called on being 30k above their ack the tell you that 30k was a historic altitude for combat.

the biggest problem/inhibitor to a good set up is people running to and hiding in ack.   I don't know of any way to prevent it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
Nice post republic.

It makes me suggest that the AvA staff should remove the more inflammatory posts/thread as soon as they see them. Particularly over the next few months until things become more stable. IMO the multiple threads about the Allied squad logging after their squad night should have been removed and replaced with an AvA staff ruling thread (temporary sticky?) along with a notice that all threads on the subject would be locked or removed.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
Our Squad has had more fun in the last 5 weeks than we have had in the last year of flying.  We loved just about every aspect of the War and can't thank the AvA Staff enough for their hard work.  

The only thing I would complain about if I had to choose anything would be the bomb site calibration.  I would choose the newer calibration style over the old style anyday.  It just seems to take up so much effort to use the thing that most will just rather jabo a target and be done with it.  I also feel we'd have more bomber missions if the newer site calibration was used.  Just my two cents, us Avengers will adapt to which ever way we have to do it.

A big also goes out to all that participated in this event; the numbers were impressive on our squad nights and it really gave us a challenge.  We can't wait for the next round of war in the AvA.  
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:16:21 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
Nice post republic.

It makes me suggest that the AvA staff should remove the more inflammatory posts/thread as soon as they see them. Particularly over the next few months until things become more stable. IMO the multiple threads about the Allied squad logging after their squad night should have been removed and replaced with an AvA staff ruling thread (temporary sticky?) along with a notice that all threads on the subject would be locked or removed.
great idea!!! just what we need censorship instead of dialog.  those threads point out how well concerns can be addressed by the participants with the free flow of information and perceptions.

this BBS already suffers from acute moderation let's go ahead and up the draconia.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:31 AM »
Originally posted by heythere
great idea!!! just what we need censorship instead of dialog.  those threads point out how well concerns can be addressed by the participants with the free flow of information and perceptions.

this BBS already suffers from acute moderation let's go ahead and up the draconia.

Or worse get PNG'd from the board after making comments and have to come back as a shades account...   not that anyone would do that though...

:D

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor

I think we have the ability to do that in the dedicated Axis and Allied forums, but not here.

And, my sense is that it would be just another source of frustration and outrage, with people (and large monkeys) implying favoritism, hypocracy, inconsistency and that sort of thing.

- oldman

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »
Originally posted by soda72
Or worse get PNG'd from the board after making comments and have to come back as a shades account...   not that anyone would do that though...

:D
what ever do you mean?

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »
Originally posted by heythere
there should be a chain of command with subordinate officers per side who are trustworthy and may speak for the team in an official capacity.

there should be no side switching allowed.  if a person switches countries he should not be allowed to make another switch for the maximum allowable time.

I second both of these.

Both sides need at the very least a CO and a 2nd in command.  I remember at one point new craft could not be added because a CO couldn't be contacted to declare a choice.  Unfortunately I believe at some point that could be used as a way to maintain an advantage, keeping the other side from obtaining more capable units.

I believe that most of the axis would agree, offsides isn't really a problem.  Base capture requires screen shots with equal sides so there can always be great furballs until the sides get closer.  We were outnumbered more often than not, and seemed to have faired alright.
P-47 pilot

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 12:28:44 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I think we have the ability to do that in the dedicated Axis and Allied forums, but not here.

And, my sense is that it would be just another source of frustration and outrage, with people (and large monkeys) implying favoritism, hypocracy, inconsistency and that sort of thing.

- oldman
riddle me this.  where do people who associate with large gorillas and the large gorilla get to sit down?    with regard to your miscategorization, the line from the cult film "trading places" immediately comes to mind (monkey? monkey? I'm a gorilla you clown)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:32:01 PM by heythere »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »
My point has been proved, concerning inflammatory or disruptive posts.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »
I would love to see our old "DA" AvA back for a while. I miss coming in with less then ten people on and having great fights. I remember when vulching, HOing, ganging, and picking were frowned upon. Now you cant even find a 1v1 wothout the other guy running to his ack or five of his buddies waiting for the no skill pick. The last five weeks have been just a mini MA with less planes to pick from.

I started playing the CT becuase it was nothing like the MA. Some may see the numbers that we had in the last five weeks and think the war was a good thing. But I for one would like better fighter then more people.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner