Author Topic: The War is offically over. Now what?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
The War is offically over. Now what?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
As someone else said already the airstarts need to go.

Which raises a question I had:  Why didn't the Axis use its own air start base(s)?  It would seem an ideal way to get a high-alt fight going quickly, or to intercept a high-alt Allied raid, and for most of the time the winter Rhine map was up, the Axis had an air start base that was reasonably close to the Allied air start base.

- oldman

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »
Though our airstart was close, the allied airstart was literally on top of us.  I used the airstart a few times with Ju-88's but for the most part the allies simply used airstarts to pop their planes into the air and dive down at 500+mph for instant E.  There were very little high alt fights...they were just abused for instant E down low.

I'm all for no airstarts at all, or (if we have to have them) limit the airstarts to backfield bases for bombers only, like we did on the first map.
P-47 pilot

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Which raises a question I had:  Why didn't the Axis use its own air start base(s)?  It would seem an ideal way to get a high-alt fight going quickly, or to intercept a high-alt Allied raid, and for most of the time the winter Rhine map was up, the Axis had an air start base that was reasonably close to the Allied air start base.

- oldman

Thing is that it was so far away that it took just as much time to roll from the front line base and climb to 20k. Problem is that A72/73 I think they are the front line bases. You would get someone down on the deck in a turn fight and kill him, and the next thing you know hes diving in on you going mach 1 and kills you because you have no E. Iv always liked the idea of airstart for bombers but not right on the front line and not at 20k. Main thing I seen with the 20k airstarts was that those people that like to pork would get thier jabo plane airstart it and dive to the base they want to pork. Radar for the northern axis were dead 95% of that week. Thats the only thing I hate about that rhine make other then that its perfect.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »
i think you have a valid point there ,can the air-start for fighters be disabled thereby making them clime and rendezvous with the heavy's?
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 07:27:04 AM »
Fighters should be disabled from the airspawn. Only bombers and drop the spawn down to 12k.
Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2008, 09:38:19 AM »
First of all, To all the AvA staff, for trying something different-that may have been the best change of all.

Now...I don't really believe that one setup will satisfy everyone, after reading all of the posts' in this thread. It was fun, and novel. However, Like everything in Aces High, it is dependent on a certain standard of gameplay.

What is that standard? Is it team based capture-the-flag? Is it the open arena Free-for-all? We have had people on both sides' of the coin in here. In retrospect, It was a mini-MA. But it was not made that way by the people who set this scenario up. It was made that way by the player-base.

The In-fighting of the player base.The gameplay issues. The whining, milkrunning, hording, chest-thumping, exploiting...everything that everyone's complained about in this thread, were brought to the surface by their own actions. Ty to the AvA staff for giving us something different. Hopefully everyone behaves' themselves better in the next AvA war.

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »
In all honesty, the airspawn really does start you around 13-14K. You start at 20K with engines off, and by the time you get powerd up and level you get around 13-14K.
Rolling Thunder

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »
Bombsite revisited.

fyi. The current MA bombsite will not calibrate for wind so with wind you need to eyeball a little adjustment accordingly. It might be fixed in the next patch, but it doesn't allow for it at the moment.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001