Author Topic: Rules of Engagement in AVA  (Read 2993 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Rules of Engagement in AVA
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
I hear everyone squawking about vulching, HO'ing, dweebery, ganging etc.

Maybe we should set forth Rules of engagement In AVA. here are my thoughts.

1. No HO'ing, on the merge you cannot fire at your opponent. you must wait to get atleast a 10 or 2 o'clock shot.

2. no vulching. if the guy is coming in for a landing, you cannot shoot him.
If hes taking off, you cant shoot til the wheels are up!

3. Ack Running. if in a 1V1 you are not allowed to run to ACK. you must fight like a man and either live or die. if on the other hand you are in a 1 V 5 or more, you are now allowed to run like hell if you like.

4. Ganging, No more then 3V1 if you are the 4th fighter, you must pull off and go find something else to do.

5. running, once you've turn tailed and left the fighting field, even if being chased, you are not allowed to turn and go back after the guy chasing you. you must return to base and re-up.

6. alt monkey. you are not allowed to BNZ the other side from more then 2000 above said victim.  you cannot loiter at 20k and then come blasting in on a guy at 8k. Not allowed, sorry!

7. interuptions. you are not allowed to interupt anyone engaged in a intimate conversation with a sheep. and no sheep-sharing!!

any thoughts??? this is just my 2 cents

Long Live Storch!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:27:27 AM by captain1ma »

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
Re: Rules of Engagement in AVA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:35:58 AM »
Originally posted by captain1ma
I hear everyone squawking about vulching, HO'ing, dweebery, ganging etc.

Maybe we should set forth Rules of engagement In AVA. here are my thoughts.

1. No HO'ing, on the merge you cannot fire at your opponent. you must wait to get atleast a 10 or 2 o'clock shot.

2. no vulching. if the guy is coming in for a landing, you cannot shoot him.
If hes taking off, you cant shoot til the wheels are up!

3. Ack Running. if in a 1V1 you are not allowed to run to ACK. you must fight like a man and either live or die. if on the other hand you are in a 1 V 5 or more, you are now allowed to run like hell if you like.

4. Ganging, No more then 3V1 if you are the 4th fighter, you must pull off and go find something else to do.

5. running, once you've turn tailed and left the fighting field, even if being chased, you are not allowed to turn and go back after the guy chasing you. you must return to base and re-up.

6. alt monkey. you are not allowed to BNZ the other side from more then 2000 above said victim.  you cannot loiter at 20k and then come blasting in on a guy at 8k. Not allowed, sorry!

7. interuptions. you are not allowed to interupt anyone engaged in a intimate conversation with a sheep. and no sheep-sharing!!

any thoughts??? this is just my 2 cents

Long Live Storch!!

LOL You must be kiddin' right??  Hey I think that's what DA is for.  

MUGADAI of the MUNGADAI WARRIORS

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just make one rule of no whining? :D

(Bad me!) ;)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Wouldn't it be easier to just make one rule of no whining? :D

(Bad me!) ;)

Actually thats the best suggestion I've heard yet!!

Long Live Storch!!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rules of Engagement in AVA
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Originally posted by captain1ma
Maybe we should set forth Rules of engagement In AVA.

While I agree with most of your rules (I think many will be opposed to #7), years of discussing this topic seem to end up at:  stick by these principles yourself, to set a good example for others.  There's no effective way to enforce any set of rules - even if everyone could agree on them - and criticizing people in the arena for "violating" rules they don't know about, don't understand or don't agree with simply drives people away.  Over time, most people who stick around will start to fly this way, because these principles make for better and more enjoyable fights.

- oldman

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Rules of Engagement in AVA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »
Originally posted by XAKL
LOL You must be kiddin' right??  Hey I think that's what DA is for.  

Since you are new Ill let you in on a few things. Before this war thing there were some rules just like that in place.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
And if you wish to make the "DA" comparison, you should review TC's post and maybe visit the "DA".
Jay12

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:16 AM »
Even in the old AvA when we had rules that were accepted, many pilots simply ignored them since there was no real repercussions.

The rules were also abused.  A pilot in a good 1v1 would say over 200 "bingo ammo" or the like, get you to disengage then come shoot you in the butt.

Or a guy would get in a disadvantage and then drop his gear and point towards the base because he was "landing".

Unfortunately...dweebs will be dweebs.
P-47 pilot

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Re: Rules of Engagement in AVA
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
While I agree with most of your rules (I think many will be opposed to #7), years of discussing this topic seem to end up at:  stick by these principles yourself, to set a good example for others.  There's no effective way to enforce any set of rules - even if everyone could agree on them - and criticizing people in the arena for "violating" rules they don't know about, don't understand or don't agree with simply drives people away.  Over time, most people who stick around will start to fly this way, because these principles make for better and more enjoyable fights.

- oldman

while i had a hard time writing #7, i thought it was best.

rather then criticize, all one would have to do is point out to the new player/offender that said behavior is not allowed. this way its not criticizing.

to enforce this, first commanders would not encourage it, and if behavior continued, remove said offender from roster. that would get the point across.

anyone not flying with a squad would be refered to the rules of engagement .

Now to be honest, i have no problem breaking any of the above rules especially when we're getting clobbered, i would be willing to abide by them if everyone else did. i also think that most everyone else would be willing to do the same.  

just something to think about.....

of course the whole sheep thing would have to be revisited.

Long Live Storch!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:10:45 PM by captain1ma »

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Rules of Engagement in AVA
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
Since you are new Ill let you in on a few things. Before this war thing there were some rules just like that in place.

Did it work??

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
Originally posted by WWM
And if you wish to make the "DA" comparison, you should review TC's post and maybe visit the "DA".

Who is TC? and what point have I missed about comparing to DA?

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Rules of Engagement in AVA
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »
Did it work??

For the most part yes, but there are always going to be people who dont. Those were mainly MA dweebs coming in to pick and vulch.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
Who is TC? and what point have I missed about comparing to DA?

TC is just another newbe that likes LA7s
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
Plz correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the AvA was supposed to be more realistic?

I doubt very many WWII pilots would have had many qualms about doing any of these things.

If you don't want people to do these things, then develop tactics to counter them.  That's the best deterrent possible.

Also, from the standpoint that this IS and only ever will be a GAME, and by definition is intended so that people can have fun, what's fun about limiting how you can play.

But seriously, if you really can't take being shot down before you've had a chance to get equal E, or get "fair/honourable" positions, you've probably played  this game too much.

I don't mean to be offensive, but this game is only a simulation of real life, so there's not much point in any of these suggested measures.

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »
It was supposed to be a historical arena but for the last few years its been a place where you came to find a great fight. Back then people would ask first before diving into a 1v1. If you were out of ammo or fuel they would let you RTB. If you just got done fighting someone you would get time to build E before the guy watching your last fight would come fight you.

Since this war I have had less then five real fights. Iv had many people jump into my 1v1 and kill the enemy thinking he was helping me. Im one of the people that would rather have a great 1v1 and die then gang some hopeless guy fighting five others. Some smartass is going to say "goto the DA". I dare you to go to the DA and look for a good 1v1. I will bet then when fighting some guy is going to up from your field in a 163 or spit and join your fight.

This war has made more people come to the AvA but has made it into more of a MA. I wish we could have it back because now there are no arenas to fight a nice fight fast.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner