Author Topic: ** Yak vs P-51 encounter (film included) **  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
** Yak vs P-51 encounter (film included) **
« on: February 27, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

This morning I had a very interesting encounter with a P-51. Perhaps I'm a bit overconfident when fighting P-51s due to a high success rate against them (I've shot down more P-51s than any other aircraft this tour), but in this case it was warrented.

A5 was getting hit (and vulched) from an assortment of Spits and F4s (enemy carrier right off shore), but I managed to get into the air and extend away from the carrier a fair bit before I noticed a high dot tailing me.

To my surprise and joy, it was my primary meal, P-51. He had quite an altitude advantage, but it was just him and I... so I figured as long as we were left alone, I had a shot.

As he begins his first pass, I start filming. What results was a pretty good example of why the Yak eats P-51s.

The pilot was good and had knowledge of energy and the importance of altitude. During the fight, we GAIN several thousand feet of altitude!

The first couple of passes are pretty standard fare, but I keep trying to get him in the vertical which results in a few vertical HO's. I make very very few horizontal turns. The Yak shines in the vertical, and I only turned horizontal to conserve E when he was closing.

Around the third or fourth pass, I make my first real dangerous mistake. A full loop. I wanted to gain altitude and pull into him as he was making another pass, but I blow a lot of energy and cant get the nose around. It looks to me like he has a shot, but luckily, he doesn't take it and we zip past each other a few feet apart.

He continues to sit high above me and it looks like he's trying to rope me. I bite a few times, but roping a Yak is a difficult thing to do. Many times I sit on on my tail facing straight up with less than 150mph pulling me.

Around mid-fight I realize that I HAVE to get some alt on him or I'm going down. We merge again, another HO, and he pulls up high behind me. As he dives back on my six, I split-s, and BINGO, he makes a mistake. He follows me a fair bit into the dive and I gain a serious amount of speed. He rolls around, levels off, and heads away from me. I use this opportunity to climb. By the time he turns around and starts closing on me again, we're co-alt.

This is where it gets good.

He's closing low and in my blind spot, so I break a bit early. We get into a short turning stint while I try to manuver for a shot. I get within 600, but can't close, and actually, don't have a shot at all. However, he thinks I do and split-s'es.

PERFECT! The Yak accerates faster than the 51, and the runstang dive isn't going to work on me!

Then again...

I'm in close persuit. I'm trying my damnest to get a clean shot, but I just can't get in range. Any other plane could have made the shot from 400-500 but not the Yak.

I could have followed him all the way to the deck and gotten the shot if it wasnt for one -key- factor. He was running right for the ack at his airfield.

5 seconds more and he'd be in flames, but I had to break away and let him go.

I take a light-hearted shot at him over 1, and we let it go.

The film ends, but the story doesn't! I return to 5 to find it in ruins. I'm really low on gas, but saddle up on an F4 and use my remaining cannon ammo to shoot off his tail. A5 is swarming with cons, so I decide to divert to the CV about a half sector away.

Next thing I see is a high P-51 closing on my six. I'm running on fumes, just a few dozen MG rounds, and can not make any adjustments to my flight path and still expect to land, so I just keep on truckin. He closes to just about out of gun range and disengages.

Then over CH1 he mentions how I did the exact same thing he did.

I land on the CV and go eat breakfast.

I think this film is a good example of ACM. Of course, I have no idea how to add the link to the file in here, so I'll add it in the next post.

Any comments? Yak experts, am I making any glaring mistakes in my ACM?

Thanks guys!

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
And here is the film.

web.tampabay.rr.com/llamacomps/films/YakvsP51.ahf  

Servo
**MOL**

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
Servo,

I am not very good at gunnery, nor am I a paying customer yet (so I can't meet you in the main arena), but I will put my co-alt, co-speed Pony against your Yak any day  

Have we met in HtH before?

streakeagle
gameID: streak
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
I will take a look at the film later. I love watching other peoples films.

Servo, an unwary P51 pilot will get eaten alive by a compotent yak pilot. The yak accels very well, zooms, and climbs well, and is all but as fast as the pony. The yak is a better performing plane in nearly all aspects (except guns). The yak and the 109G are the two planes i treat with a great deal of care.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
StreakEagle, you must not have met any good Yak pilots then  

1 v 1 with equal pilots, the Yak is far superior to the P-51. The only thing the Pony can do is to run faster, right on the deck and from medium alt up. At the Yak accelerates faster, so the Pony better have a head start.

Now as an Arena plane, the P51 has some advantages, but 1 v 1 ... my money is on the Yak.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
My money is on the Yak also.  I know that if I get the Pony to turn a couple of times, I've got him.

Cobra

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
I'd go with the Yak too.  The Pony only has top speed and the ability to reach out at 800 yards going for it.  The Yak beats it in most other aspects.

Of course.. getting within 400 yards of a Mustang that is pointed away from you is no easy task.

AKDejaVu

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
Only chance for a 51 pilot in this situation is to get someone else to help out, then vulch.   While a 51 may be able to leave a fight with a Yak-9U, it can make no meaningful engagement, other than the fleeting high-speed BnZ pass.

------------------
leonid, Kompol
5 GIAP VVS-KA, Knights

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
YAK..YAK..YAK

Showtime!  

Lunch for the 13th TAS

Thunder Out
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline jcy19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
i agree with all the above yak statements
if i can meet a 51 alone and he is willing
fight vert and not run, ive got him. the
only thing i hate is they usally do run on
and i cant catch them

------------------

JCy19
CO |||AirWolves||

[This message has been edited by jcy19 (edited 02-27-2001).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2001, 05:08:00 PM »

Lunch for the 13th TAS

Has anyone in the 13th actually engaged a co-alt/co-speed Yak 1:1 before?  

AKDejaVu

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
My biggest gripe with the Yak is that they are too small for me to shoot.

Could you blow them up... to say, Lanc size?  That would really improve the game for me.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
"...1:1"

No offense 13th guys but he's got ya there  

-Westy

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
LOLOLOLOLOL akdejavu