Author Topic: 1st kill  (Read 3290 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
1st kill
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
Well theres no "believing in evolution", its fact, even the last Pope admitted that, now I'm sure he still fit it into Gods plan.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Regulator

• Zinc Member
1st kill
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 09:10:23 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Best line in the whole jumbled up mess.
Sort of says it all doesn`t it? :)

No, not really.  I understand hunting and have enjoyed my time immensely hunting.  It really would be hard to explain if you haven't done it, things like camraderie, atmosphere, skill and achievement.  Many a morning I sat in a duck blind watching the sun rise, quietly enjoying the show Mother Nature provided, seeing wildlife around me.  You can't understand how amazing that is if you haven't been out in the woods to see it.

Game management was mentioned, and in the world, without hunters keeping the deer herds trimmed at least a little, a tremendous more would die of starvation than die now of hunting and starvation.

Hunters pay to preserve the wildlife that others pretend to support, they do this through fees and wildlife preservation organizations almost always solely filled with membership of the hunting community.  Many talk, hunters do.

Just because I don't hunt anymore doesn't mean I don't understand it, or respect it.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
1st kill
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Regulator
It really would be hard to explain if you haven't done it,.
Exactly, alot of the people who put down hunting have never tried it, now thats not to say that hunting is for everyone, its not, but why come into a thread about hunting only to put it down, start your own anti hunting thread.  Now I'll say I don't believe in hunting rare endangered animals.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
1st kill
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
This isn't a situation of sitting on high, it's looking at the population density, evaluating the food supply and tracking how the two of them will interact. In a manner of speaking, hunting is weeding the herd down vs waiting for the heard to starve it's numbers down. The press of humans has already disrupted the predator prey ballance. We can either let them spiral down to unhealthy population levels on cyclic pattern to eventual loss or do something to manage it.

In effect we are operating as part of the system and a part of nature but with a purpose not random happenstance.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
1st kill
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 09:17:53 PM »
ok agree to disagree.... sorry I'd continue, but I am buzzed, pizza is done, and it's my birthday tomorrow. sir but we will confront this another time I am sure, you know this place :rofl
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
1st kill
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 11:49:25 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Then why are you here commenting?

You should see the life that chicken you had for dinner last night had. Hypocrite! I could try and explain wildlife management to you but no doubt youv seen one to many Disney movies.

I eat everything I shoot, or, like this Blesbuck, its consumed by others. Which BTW is the Law in South Africa. Im glad for you regulator you found a way to eat you ducks and pheasants while maintaining your high morale standards.:lol

It tastes like Chicken John. Yaknow? The KFC kind that lived its 6 mo life in a shoebox and then got its horrified little head chopped off. Or sometimes it tastes like beef. The kind they raise in the closet and then cut its terrified throat so regulator and Indy can east their cheeseburgers.

Yes Jackal hunting with my father are times Ill never forget. It was a simpler time in the 60's without all the highly moral anti-hunters. Im glad Im able to pass it on to my son.

Boy this world has metamorphosed into a real work of art. Human life aint worth a cent but hunting is "wrong". I removed the video. I dont feel like listening to some of you characters.

By any chance, did you get sand in your vagina while you were in Africa?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
1st kill
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »
I beleive in evolution.

That there chicken evolved into a darn good supper on my table  :)

I enjoy city folks declaring how we rural peeps should live, hunt and eat.  Thankfully, we've got em worfully outgunned here

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
1st kill
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 06:55:37 AM »
-shrug- .. all kinds of 'hunting'

I learned to 'hunt' when a farmer offered to pay me a nickel for each crow I killed.. his cornfields were bein over run by them one summer, had to bring him the carcass to collect .. I shot 96 of them that summer usin a Marlin lever action .22 rifle. I was in 8th grade then.

Personally .. I have met some folks who I laughed at when they told me how they 'hunt' their deer .. park the Blazer, get drunk, set up an ambush by a water hole and just blast the crap outta any dog-size deer that happen to walk in front of them and hope to God they dont shoot themselves in the process.

I recommended they try a road trip out to the South Fork of the Deerborn River, out near Lincoln, Montana.  Track one about 2-3 miles thru fresh snow just after sunrise, try an get a decent shot at him from far enough out that you dont spook him, hang it, gut it, skin it, bury what you dont pack out, ..it's a days work if you're good enough to actually ..you know .. hunt.
Keep an eye out for the bears.. silly things think *you* are food or worse, a threat.

I shot my first last and only deer when I was 15 doing the above with my Dad. Honestly the 'hunt' drew me ..the killing shot was very anti-climatic.

It's much more satisfying to hunt a Spitfire in the clouds with a Mustang, or in WoW to hunt an orc, dragon, or someone on the opposite Battlegroup ..
..because .. well .. they all 'shoot back' and are just as much hunting you as you are hunting them :)

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
1st kill
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »
And exactly what does that have to do with the topic at hand?  When given the chance, almost all predators ambush their prey.  Why should men be any different?

I suppose stalking would appear more "manly" to some, but in many areas of the South, where logging has raped the natural terrain, stalking is no longer an option.  The hardwood forests, with their open understory are a memory, and have been replaced with pine thickets overrun with blackberry brambles and thorns of every type extant.  Trying to stalk deer amid that man-made mess is an exercise in futility.

Hunting from ambush is almost the only option remaining.

When I was a little shaver, things were much different.  Men hunted the way their ancestors had for thousands of years:  with dogs, and horses, and men pursuing deer and/or trying to outthink the prey.  Many of the hunters were farm boys who were as tough as boot-leather.  It was not unknown for one of them to run long distances to cut across the base of a curve that the prey was following to cut them off.  You couldn't hunt like that and be a wuss...

Which reminds me of what a unique, symbiotic relationship hunters have with their dogs.  Dog hunting for deer is rapidly dying out in the South...because of the work involved, because of social pressures of the sensitve elites of the modern world, and because of pressures by stand hunters who don't want the "natural movements" of their deer disturbed.  

The ancient music of hounds on a trail will soon be a memory.  It's a damn shame.

For the effete city-boys weeping on these boards about the cruelties of hunting I say...get a grip.  You're trying to apply human morality to nature's largely amoral system.  Predation is as much a part of the natural environment in today's world as it has been since the beginning of life on this planet.

Leave your concrete environs and return to the real world.  You just might learn some age-old lessons:  nature itself is cruel;  all predators receive pleasure from the hunt AND from the kill;  for good or ill, man is a part of the natural world, and has his own niche in it;  man must assume the role of either predator or prey, and the modern urban notion of mankind as uninvolved bystander is patently ridiculous.

Now to dispel one last image:  All hunters are not drunks, boors, or lazy, un-educated wife beaters.  In fact, the opposite is the truth.  They ...are one of the few groups of true-indivudualists left in the world.  And, as strange as it may seem, it IS possible for a man to hunt and love the natural world and its denizens at the same time....and seek to preserve them.

Try to grasp the concept.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
1st kill
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »
Originally posted by SIG220

One local rancher recently had a cougar come in one night and kill 18 of his sheep, even though it only dragged off one to eat.   Why did it kill the other 17??

the cougar did not want to leave any witnesses.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
1st kill
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »
I love hunting - its not (for me anyway) about always making the kill - its about being out there, in the wonders of Nature. I prefer stalking (way too impatient to sit in a hide - but to each their own). I've hunted since I was a teen (even in the UK, but nothing above a 12 ft pound air rifle - which is the legal limit here) This is useful only for wood pigeon and rabbits - edible, and a good ratting session as vermin control (dont suggest eating these). Where I live, there are 3 ways of controlling the rabbits, these are:

Shooting/Netting
Poisoning
Introduction of Mixy

I dont have a problem with shooting them, and yes, I eat all that I shoot (no, not all at the same time, but they freeze down lovely). I ensure I'm close enough that I can kill with a head shot (that way, if I miss the shot, I miss the rabbit - no wounded animals etc)

I hate poisoning - to a degree (why make any animal suffer that way) - but its a very effective pest control method.

I loathe mixy - not only because it affects where I shoot - but the symptoms, time to death of those infected etc just makes it inhumane.

I would love to hunt deer (and would definitely be eating all that I could from it - free range, natural grown - what could be better)

Rare animal hunting? No thanks, would much prefer being able to see them with my kids in the future, not in zoo's, but out where they should be - and that oddly enough, includes wolves etc in the states.

Just my 0.02p

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
1st kill
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
Originally posted by Regulator
No, not really.  I understand hunting and have enjoyed my time immensely hunting.  It really would be hard to explain if you haven't done it, things like camraderie, atmosphere, skill and achievement.  Many a morning I sat in a duck blind watching the sun rise, quietly enjoying the show Mother Nature provided, seeing wildlife around me.  You can't understand how amazing that is if you haven't been out in the woods to see it.

Game management was mentioned, and in the world, without hunters keeping the deer herds trimmed at least a little, a tremendous more would die of starvation than die now of hunting and starvation.

Hunters pay to preserve the wildlife that others pretend to support, they do this through fees and wildlife preservation organizations almost always solely filled with membership of the hunting community.  Many talk, hunters do.

Just because I don't hunt anymore doesn't mean I don't understand it, or respect it.

You are speaking to the wrong poster.
Read the mess from which that quote came from.
I have hunted all of my life starting at a very early age.
The best of times, bar none.
What was meant by my comment was the fact that some people believe meat just  appears by magic in the supermarket with not a thought on the process.
The meat fairy makes deliveries on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
It is also pretty clear that folks such as these have no idea, no a clue, as to what hunters do for wildlife in this country to begin with.
In my state there would be no deer population at all if it weren`t for the hunter and hunter funding.
Now we are known for our deer population.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
1st kill
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
rich.. I salute you for your effort in giving your son an experience that he will take with him for the rest of his life.   It is hard sometimes to even have a positive experience in todays world..  

Forget what the moron anti bambi hunters say.. they eat "murder burgers" and wear leather and the whole nine yards yet have never seen how cows and chickens and livestock in general are raised and harvested... they would be shaky sick and confused.

they have never seen how animals die in the wild.   They would kiss your butt for being part of such a merciful and honorable kill..

they are know nothing parrot mush heads.    It is not you and your son who make me sick but these morons.

lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
1st kill
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
Yesterday I was invited to go on a deer hunt with one of our vendors. Somewhere in Wyoming, East of Casper, in October. He specifically said he would get me close enough to use the MN 91-30 with its iron sights. Sounds like a fun trip, just not looking forward to carrying that rifle around for miles. Sucker is heavy.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
1st kill
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 01:59:38 PM »
I'm not a hunter, its just not something my family has done. I also figure I'd be a little squeamish about it all. Not necessarily killing an animal, but certainly cleaning it up and preparing it to eat.

That said - I'm a carnivore and I'm in under no illusions over where some of the stuff I've eaten came from or how it was reared, so I'll never criticize someone who prefers their meat to be a little more - to use the popular term - 'organic'.

More importantly, I salute Rich46yo for doing these kinds of father / son activities with his kid. I'm guessing hunting instills discipline, patience and a fair amount of respect and those kinds of attributes are missing from far too many kids these days.