Author Topic: Flakpanzer is far to overpowered  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Flakpanzer is far to overpowered
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 09:03:58 AM »
Want to reduce the Ostwinds damage vs buildings, thats fine.
Reduce the dispersion effect that made it 10x harder to hit planes while your at it.

Everything is balance, Hitech and HTC are high wire artiste's twirling plates and juggling crystal stemware.  Is it perfect, perhaps not, but its better than anything else out there in my opinion. Does this make me a fanboi, well if it makes you feel better to put labels on people, I guess I can live with that one.

Wait till the next release and see how it shakes out.

Then if you must whine, please just go into the closet, close the door and whine away.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
Originally posted by evenhaim
i believe most of you have missed the point urchin was brining up the idea that flakpanzers are too effective against buildings....

and i agree

I respectfully disagree!
37mm agains bricks and wood? very bad for the wood and brick!
also the rapid fire of the gun verses the slower fire of a tank?
i dont know the rate of fire of the osti right off but it puts out multiple round to the tank, also the buildings require less than 2 he tank rounds to fall  so you have wasted energy if not lined up for in a row of buildings
i am not sure but i think 15 rounds of 37mm for one building?=555 mm of shell verses 140 mm  tank round, only the rate of fire is greater in the osti so it still goes faster!
also we are doing something that did not happen in real life during the war we are destroying all the buildings of a city in order to capture it instead of small area's of a city were the resistance might have been and we dont have artillary like they did  so some adaption will have too be made.
(just my opinion  with a few homegrown numbers, feel free to correct my math if someone knows the actual numbers)
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
The Ostie is a great ackwagon but I prefer the M-16. I just know the 0.50 lead better from shooting out of bombers so much. But man there are some great Ostie gunners in this game and Ive been on the recieving end of more then a couple.

I wonder what the ammo load is going to be on the new 20mm flakwagon? That may be the new townbuster of choice.
I doubt the ammo load will last long because of the rate of fire should be a little faster than an Ostie.  

M16's are easy meat.    Start rolling Osties for a few months, you'll get good at it.  

I suck in Osties.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
If you take out the VHs that these dreaded Nazi weapons come from, you won't have to worry about it. Problem solved.....Next question !
Lighten up Francis

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »
I doubt the ammo load will last long because of the rate of fire should be a little faster than an Ostie.

It won't be an issue on an airfield since you can just use the rearm pad. If people are smart, at GV bases they will drop tons of supplies before upping a Wirbelwind.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 04:04:18 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum

M16's are easy meat.    Start rolling Osties for a few months, you'll get good at it.  

I suck in Osties.

Yeah I mean I love the Osties I just aint that good in them. Im far better in M16s, but yeah, your in the wind sitting in them. I try and butt up against a hardened shelter so I dont have to worry about my "6" as much in 16s, trying to keep incoming in front of me.

Im really pumped up for the new flakwagon.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »
Is the ostwind too effective against tanks?  Last week I killed two panzers with an ostwind.  Both were side hits and it seemed to take only four or five hits. .  In one case the panzer as very close.  In the other it was so far out that it was barely discernable as a panzer at full zoom.   Does this surprise anyone else?  The ostie doesn’t, as I recall, have AP rounds.  Seems like 37mm HE could track a tank and perhaps kill one with a rear hit but isn’t the side armor too thick to permit a kill by an ostie?  Is this incorrectly modeled or is the panzer weaker than I thought?  Not that I’m whining.  It didn’t bother me to get the kills.  I expected a fast trip to the tower when I saw those tanks
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
Originally posted by Condor
Is the ostwind too effective against tanks?  Last week I killed two panzers with an ostwind.  Both were side hits and it seemed to take only four or five hits. .  In one case the panzer as very close.  In the other it was so far out that it was barely discernable as a panzer at full zoom.   Does this surprise anyone else?  The ostie doesn’t, as I recall, have AP rounds.  Seems like 37mm HE could track a tank and perhaps kill one with a rear hit but isn’t the side armor too thick to permit a kill by an ostie?  Is this incorrectly modeled or is the panzer weaker than I thought?  Not that I’m whining.  It didn’t bother me to get the kills.  I expected a fast trip to the tower when I saw those tanks

I have bagged tanks with my Ostie before, even Tigers.  To be fair though, I think they may have already been damaged when I opened up on them.  Can you blame me?  If there is a tank within gun range of your Ostie, you better run or fire or both, even if someone is already engaging them.  Concentrated long term 37mm (field gun and Ostwind) fire will take down the toughest tanks.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2008, 02:53:01 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
It takes exactly  20 rounds from an osty to kill one building in town.  I know... I count every round leaving for each building in order to maximize my ammo load, when takin out a town.

Just a note from one of the HTC Charts...
37mm HE Ostwind round: 15.6lbs. N.E.W.
Build takes 250lbs to take down...
So you should only need 16-17 rounds to take down a town building which would be 249.6-265.2lbs of N.E.W.
20 rounds would be 312lbs....
Just a note is all, not saying your wrong... :aok
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Re: Flakpanzer is far too overpowered
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2008, 05:51:40 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin

For instance.... why bother with the IL-2, 190F-8, or Hurricane 2D?  All of them suck against flakpansies, and that is what they are going to run into 80% of the time.  Instead, use a flight of level bombers and carpet suicide-bomb the GVs!  Garbage in = garbage out.

You can turret a flak easily with the IL2 or Hurri.   In fact, it seems my flak can be turreted by someone shooting out his window with a .45.

It may be hard to kill it, but you can turret it.  This works at the towns... Resupply on a base keeps them alive.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
Re: Flakpanzer is far to overpowered
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
I imagine this should be clear to anyone, but it probably isn't.  

Any time you get a "GV Mishun!" it is 3/4 flakpansies, a couple tanks to protect the flakpansies, and a couple M3s.. that means the flakpansie is overpowered.  

Granted, it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was back in AH1, when the flakpansie was the best anti-GV, anti-air, and anti-town/field GV... but the simple fact that the "anti-air" GV is present in numbers in one "mishun" that are larger than it was present in WW2 should be telling.

Perk it.  Big.  Or greatly reduce its efficiency against buildings.  One flakpansie can roll up to a town and trash it far more quickly than a company of our tanks can, which makes for some really strange gameplay.

For instance.... why bother with the IL-2, 190F-8, or Hurricane 2D?  All of them suck against flakpansies, and that is what they are going to run into 80% of the time.  Instead, use a flight of level bombers and carpet suicide-bomb the GVs!  Garbage in = garbage out.

Surely this is a joke right?  What do you think the M8 was made for???  Killin FLAKS!

A few weeks back ... a force of 5 Flacks, 1 M3 and a T34 descended upon a town.   Only 1 M8 to defend against this horde.  In 5 minutes.... 1 dead M3, 3 dead Flacks, 2 smokin flaks and a T34 rolling around town looking for the massive force that rendered the invasion force mute.

Someone brought back an M8 ....and I killed that too.   Eventually, I was killed by the T34 when I killed the second M3.  By then...re-enforcements arrived and the town was secured.

Flaks overpowered?   I think not....perk the M8 of DEATH!!!  ha ha ha ha

Softail

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
Originally posted by Sketch
Just a note from one of the HTC Charts...
37mm HE Ostwind round: 15.6lbs. N.E.W.
Build takes 250lbs to take down...
So you should only need 16-17 rounds to take down a town building which would be 249.6-265.2lbs of N.E.W.
20 rounds would be 312lbs....
Just a note is all, not saying your wrong... :aok

Sketch...there is where 2+2 = 3

it takes 20 rounds.  no if's and's or but's about it.  Try it.

Softail

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
Originally posted by Softail
Sketch...there is where 2+2 = 3

it takes 20 rounds.  no if's and's or but's about it.  Try it.

Softail

Like I said, I wasn't saying you were wrong, and no I have not had a chance to try it yet. (Maybe tonight)  I was just doing the math and remembered the charts of the projectiles for the game.  That is all...

(Will try it tonight hopefully if I get in some time)
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2008, 03:36:15 AM »
I used to have the same opinion when ord/vh is down and you get a rush of osties inbound what do you do?

That was until dadrabit was defending in a p40 no less.  I thought what is this joker playing at,  p40 ha!   Well what he continued to do was setup high angled passes from the sun and let of a short burst of 50 cal from 1.5-1k couple of pings bye bye turret.

Unless you have m3's putting out supplies the osty turret is a very easy kill.

If you have distractions and the guy is shooting at someone else its a piece of cake.   I think the way it is now promotes teamwork from both sides.  Also depending on the amount of porking going on to spice it up with some variable situations.  

No supplies at their base they get no resupplied turrets.  Ord up at your base then they shouldnt be a problem.

Also being a "good" shot in the osty takes practice, unless your flying directly at them from a bad angle you deserve to die.
The Few ***
F.P.H