Author Topic: Suicide bombers and why  (Read 10852 times)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Re: Suicide bombers and why
« Reply #375 on: March 12, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »
So, exactly why do bombers (and the C47 and IL2) get the benefit of the external view in flight?  I know they don't have the same field of view as most fighters, but you don't see the external view available for F4Us or F6Fs.

This is a side track, I know, but I am curious.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #376 on: March 12, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »
WE'RE GOING A TAD gawd darn it.

The reason I used that specific screen shot was to highlight a particular problem.  Suicides are drawn to CV's like flies around the proverbial.  It's like the icing on the cake for the skilless.

The problem is SUICIDERS.  Hangers, Vbases and so on are ALL on their agenda, as I mentioned in the opening thread.
So whys it allowed, all this CV suiciding, Vbase suiciding, hanger suiciding and town suiciding?

I should have INCLUDED screen shots of HANGERS, TOWNS, GV'ers & VBASES getting the treatment.  I'm not just ranting on about CV's here although they seem to suffer more than most where points of conflict are concerned.

The fog of the boards, the trolls with a mentality and my own ineptitude have lead us away from what I conceive as a brake down in game play.

HTC had more than a hand in a different game I played Fighter Ops / Warbirds. In these games were certain aspect of "game play" that are not included here in Aces High..... Whys that ?  Because it degraded the game play.  The fun. 

Bombers were used as Ack Star Fighters...misuse of the dot auto gunner command racing through a furball or consistently rolling on a capped field with auto gunners blazing away. (GHI you would have loved that  :P)  Also included was runway damage which THANKFULLY we don't have here in Aces High.  This was miss-used to close a field down.  All you needed to do was drop a bomb just in front of the planes spawn point on the runway.  The skilless got 2 things from this "gamey" tactic 1) they effectively closed the field and 2) they would collect kills from guys blowing up in the bomb crater as they rolled......"Gamey".  It got so bad at times that all some folk did was retaliatory plane spawn point bombing.  Some players will remember ACK STARS  and the SPAWN POINT WARS

1)All the things from HTC's other games that didn't work for good old honest fun are not included here except the ability to dive bomb heavies. 

2)At the weekends especially I'm getting to see this as the "norm" rather than the exception.

3)Some guys score sheet, as I posted previous, underline this as their main style of play.  They use a tool to do a job without any punitive consequences.

4)We as a community are giving these guys the "WTFG".  Whats that about ?

EDIT....freakin hell.....was on page seven when i started to right this.....it's page 26 now ....Good Morning America  :aok

lol moderator's arm got twisted with the amount of similar threads.....  no less than 4 I believe......ffs
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:31:06 AM by LYNX »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #377 on: March 12, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
lol Lynx!

Kind of got lost in all that.

so force bombing to F6 mode only and go from there....
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #378 on: March 12, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »
Bruv  I'll try that thread again in another 4 years ..... what a cluster :rolleyes:.  Then again with all the spanners on the boards what else could they do.   Like the game mate...spanners win again.  wtg spanners :rock

How very usefully this system could be.  If I don't like a guys opinion or just the cut of his jib.  All I need do is open new threads to derail anything of importance to him u me and all in sundry.   :t
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:18:30 AM by LYNX »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #379 on: March 12, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
I still think it's worthless to coad something to "fix" this.

You want to add some declination limiter to the plane...fine, don't need to actually dive on the CV, just fly level and drop right it.

Don't read this wrong, I lament the fact that people do this...but, coading it out is just as lame.
Yeah, so bombs should keep flying through the wings and fuselage of planes that just dropped em, just like they did in reality  :lol
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #380 on: March 12, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
No, what I'm saying is that a bomber does not have to "dive" to suicide kill the CVs.

So coading something to "fix" this will not really "fix" the problem.  People will just fly level and dump craploads of ordnance on the CV to kill it and die anyways.

I'm really not concerned about bomb going through wings or what really happened in reality...I don't want time spent coading something that will not "fix" the problem when that time is better spent working on CT.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #381 on: March 12, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »
No, what I'm saying is that a bomber does not have to "dive" to suicide kill the CVs.

So coading something to "fix" this will not really "fix" the problem.  People will just fly level and dump craploads of ordnance on the CV to kill it and die anyways.

I'm really not concerned about bomb going through wings or what really happened in reality...I don't want time spent coading something that will not "fix" the problem when that time is better spent working on CT.

Chances are, it will need to be fixed for CT anyway, Unless you're willing to put up with the same "gaminess" in there, as well... :noid

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #382 on: March 12, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
So, exactly why do bombers (and the C47 and IL2) get the benefit of the external view in flight?  I know they don't have the same field of view as most fighters, but you don't see the external view available for F4Us or F6Fs.

This is a side track, I know, but I am curious.

I believe this is intended to simulate (to some degree anyway) the additional eyes and ears of the crew, and their contribution to the SA of the pilot/crew. I am not entirely sure that it does this well; honestly I think it amounts to a significant advantage.

On Topic:
Realism and all that aside, I think it's as much a gameplay issue. For gameplay reasons, buffs can't fire their defensive guns on the ground, bombs have to travel 1000' to arm and detonate, and the bombsight and calibration routine has been seriously dumbed down. However, the effect of kamikaze tactics and the use of formations among other things have, in my opinion, created a bigger gameplay issue than any of the things that have already been changed. As such, I just think it's something that should be addressed.

If they aren't changed, the highest kill tallies in CT are going to be bomber formation pilots.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:58:00 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »
After watching FORTRESS suicide a carrier last night and continually dive bomb a port base in his 17s, it does make you wonder what some folks are thinking
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #384 on: March 12, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
Chances are, it will need to be fixed for CT anyway, Unless you're willing to put up with the same "gaminess" in there, as well... :noid

CT is not an open arena. You can't just fly what you want where you want to. It's structured, historical, missions. If you deviate and go off and do what you want, you fail the mission.

There will be no B17s dive bombing carriers, so they don't have anything that needs fixing.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Drunky
« Reply #385 on: March 12, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »
I know, but it's thanks to gamey details like that, that we get gamed-out tactics.  We already get damage from our own ordnance and guns' explosions, I don't see why not add ordnance collisions with our own planes.  There's no need to fix a gamey exploit with gamey rigging when simply making the planes and other objects more like they were in reality would work as well, or better.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #386 on: March 12, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
CT is not an open arena. You can't just fly what you want where you want to. It's structured, historical, missions. If you deviate and go off and do what you want, you fail the mission.

There will be no B17s dive bombing carriers, so they don't have anything that needs fixing.

As has been mentioned earlier in this combined post, Krusty, It's not just CV's-FH's at airfields, too. Or factory objects. It should be fixed, considering that someone in CT who takes' flak damage, or hits' from a fighter, might do something gamey like DB the primary because he's not able to maintain alt, or speed, or any of the other things' that you need to do to accurately level bomb.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #387 on: March 12, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
tards, just big ole tards, and yes, it needs to be fixed. :frown:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »

This proves you don't understand, as a number of other people in the thread........

The problem IS the dive bombing B17 NOT that the CV got sunk. I think most people would agree that while "dumping a crap load of bombs" on a CV will give you the same result it is more along the line of game play that people are looking for.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »
Well then, I guess I'll just shut up then.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High