Author Topic: When torturing is OK for feds shouldn't it be allowed for others too?  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: When torturing is OK for feds shouldn't it be allowed for others too?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »
Standards in time of peace will differ from those in time of war. Just because you and I may be living a life of relative peace does not mean that war is not being waged upon western civilzation. When this war is brought to your neighborhood waterboarding may seem like an excessive kindness.

This .... "war" .... has already been brought to "my neighborhood." Just like the war was brought to my grandfather's neigborhood. He would have told you that Americans don't torture. They stop those that do. I feel comfortable speaking for him in that regard.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 09:07:25 PM »
This .... "war" .... has already been brought to "my neighborhood." Just like the war was brought to my grandfather's neigborhood. He would have told you that Americans don't torture. They stop those that do. I feel comfortable speaking for him in that regard.

Sounds nice but it's simply not true. Americans have tortured, probably in every war, though not in the light of day where those without the ability to do what is needed without regard to damage done to their own souls could object.

My late grandfather, who was gassed in WWI, would likely agree that chemical weapons are evil. When it comes down to survival I think most will do whatever it takes.   
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »
You're still confusing the breaking of policy and law on an individual basis (no matter the "justification")with torture being ok to legalize and condone in general? And you don't see that as a problem? Then you're part of the problem. And I, as an American, will always stand in your way on this.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »
You're still confusing the breaking of policy and law on an individual basis (no matter the "justification")with torture being ok to legalize and condone in general? And you don't see that as a problem? Then you're part of the problem. And I, as an American, will always stand in your way on this.

I'm not confused. We are now much more open than in the past. The secrecy of the past may not even be possible today. I have no problem with waterboarding suspected terrorists. 

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »
and when the next terrorist attack happens in america arlo will be the first to say, " why didn't the govt DO something to stop it?"

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »
My Grandfather stepped up to the plate and did something about it. right now I am sure he is rolling over in his grave.

RTR
The Damned

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
I have a hard time thinking of waterboarding as torture. I think of it as an interrogation technique that causes no permanent or lasting injury. Some of us are just too damn soft.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »
Hmmm..simulated drowning or blowtorch to my balls...hmmmm. You right Arlo, one's no different than the other (Am I wrong in stating that we do that to our guys in training? ---the waterboarding, that is)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
My Grandfather stepped up to the plate and did something about it. right now I am sure he is rolling over in his grave.

Im not sure where you intend to go with this but I do know all the Beckwith boys went to war against the Germans and the Japanese and I feel certain that if you told them that by water boarding Germans and Japanese you could save American lives they would have been all for it.  Hell, they would have probably insisted on putting bullets into them afterwards just for good measure. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 10:26:43 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2008, 12:18:46 AM »
Hmmm..simulated drowning or blowtorch to my balls...hmmmm. You right Arlo, one's no different than the other (Am I wrong in stating that we do that to our guys in training? ---the waterboarding, that is)

How about tying you up in a hogtie for a few days? It gets quite uncomfortable very quickly. Or how about a couple of bamboo sticks to tie you onto. Those asians sure had nasty ways of torture with a piece of rope back in the days.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2008, 12:30:51 AM »
I'm not confused. We are now much more open than in the past.

It's ok to mimic the Gestapo as long as we're proud of what we do? Neh, you're still confused. And wrong. That's ok. You really didn't think you got everything right all the time, did you? I don't. But I did this time. I'm not going to let you change my America for your convenience.:)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2008, 12:32:58 AM »
and when the next terrorist attack happens in america arlo will be the first to say, " why didn't the govt DO something to stop it?"

Are you sure I didn't say that the last time? ;) Difference `tween you and me is ...

I know what America is. And I know what torture is. And they don't mix. Go figure. If you like torture, move to China, ya commie. :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2008, 12:34:46 AM »
I have a hard time thinking of waterboarding as torture. I think of it as an interrogation technique that causes no permanent or lasting injury. Some of us are just too damn soft.

1. Obvious on the first sentence.

2. I'll waterboard you if you got something to prove. But only if you volunteer. You volunteer? I'll keep the questions simple. And verifiable.
:D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2008, 12:36:51 AM »

Yeah. Against their will. Over and over. That's how I'd rationalize it if I were too proud and desperate to admit I was wrong about this, too. Or ... maybe not. :D

Offline Brownshirt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:39 AM »
Torturing happens all around the world; there's nothing special in it.
It's just bit funny to see US as a western and civilized country joining amongst those 3:rd world countries and its people so willingly to give in.