Author Topic: When torturing is OK for feds shouldn't it be allowed for others too?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: When torturing is OK for feds shouldn't it be allowed for others too?
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
As long as you understand that the Geneva conventions never mattered to anyone other than the "good" guys. Geneva convention rules only slowed down the good guys. The bad guys never followed them and never will.

Now do we understand each other?

I understand you're wrong. They apply to all and are used equally to convict as protect. We signed it. Doesn'y matter who didn't. We agreed to abide. And that doesn't mean looking for a loophole to "win a war through torture."

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »
yeah? What does food poisoning have to do with war and a nations survival?

In a war, you do whatever it takes to win. It's really that simple.

What does terrorism have to do with war? Nothing.
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.”

-Archangel Gabriel, The P

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »
So killing someone is okay, but making them suffer for a bit is just inhumane?

So if I capture a terrorist on the field of battle, I can execute him and that's okay with you? I just can't water board him?

That's funny! :)

Like I said: I know you won't get it, and that's sad.
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.”

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
What does terrorism have to do with war? Nothing.

Tell that to all of the 911 victims

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

Like I said: I know you won't get it, and that's sad.

Yeah, it's sad. You say that if someone is captured in battle, then I am within my rights to "execute" them. That in it self is against the Geneva conventions. Yet you say that waterboarding that same person is bad.

What gives?

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »
do not torture terrorists, just chop off their heads and send the tape to al jazeera.

i prefer the Genghis Khan method of diplomacy, swear allegiance to me or die.

John, you and a bunch of other past and recent bad'uns would get on famously.

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2008, 02:24:07 PM »
Tell that to all of the 911 victims

If I could talk to the dead I could ask a lot of other people too. What's the difference between being murdered by a religious fanatic or being murdered by some other criminal? What's the difference?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
If I could talk to the dead I could ask a lot of other people too. What's the difference between being murdered by a religious fanatic or being murdered by some other criminal? What's the difference?

Would you rather have a family member "water boarded", or "executed"?

I rest my case.

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
Yeah, it's sad. You say that if someone is captured in battle, then I am within my rights to "execute" them. That in it self is against the Geneva conventions. Yet you say that waterboarding that same person is bad.

What gives?

No it is not against the Geneva Conventions to execute combatants who do not adhere to the rules of war. In fact it is explicitly allowed to execute anyone who does not wage civilized warfare. Torture on the other hand is explicitly forbidden and if you are caught doing it you have forfeit any protection the Geneva Conventions could have offered you, and have made yourself subject to summary execution.

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »

I rest my case.

You don't rest, you evade. Answer the question: What's the difference between being murdered  by a religious fanatic or being murdered by some other criminal? What's the difference?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »

I rest my case.

Let's see.. executed now or waterboarded for 5 years which after executed (if hasn't committed suicide before that).

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
is waterboarding illegal?  If so, where and by whom is it determined to be illegal?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »
No it is not against the Geneva Conventions to execute combatants who do not adhere to the rules of war. In fact it is explicitly allowed to execute anyone who does not wage civilized warfare. Torture on the other hand is explicitly forbidden and if you are caught doing it you have forfeit any protection the Geneva Conventions could have offered you, and have made yourself subject to summary execution.

Except that Al Qaeda is not a legally constituted military arm of a signatory nation to the Geneva conventions. Therefor the Geneva Convention is irrelevant.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2008, 04:54:08 PM »
It's not like someone is doggy paddling with cinder blocks tied to their legs....

wait I may be on to something here.... never mind.

If getting information from someone bent for 70 virgins by getting them to pass air bubbles in the shallow end of life instead of doing the "Allah Ahkba" crap with explosives strapped to them... then Hell go for it.
The mess is easier to clean up anyways.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:58:28 PM by AWMac »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
What's the big deal? Looks like fun to me.  :P

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.