Author Topic: You want realism....No really???  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Sombra

• Copper Member
Re: You want realism....No really???
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 01:17:22 AM »
You'll see auto arrestor hook or even auto landing gear before CEM in AH2.

In BF1942 it worked well :D.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 01:19:13 AM »
Ugh, I hated trying to land in BF1942, I always ended up auguring.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 06:24:52 AM »
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »
  Are you suggesting our zipcodes and whiners are so dumb, that they can't do what the same grade of zipcodes and whiners can do in IL-2?

Well... um... yes.  ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
Wow i must really be a dweeb to want to operate my own engine in flight...... :uhoh
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »
No.

I play the game cause I can up easy and get into a fight with relative ease. Thats why I like this game and have no interest in wanting the more complex settings and list of things to do while in flight. I'd just play the others if I wanted to spend the hours learning all the commands and management. And that's how i ended up here, I tried them and not what i want to do for a game I may play for a couple hours some weeks.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
Just as an aside, I have IL2, and there are a few things it does better than AHII in terms of realism OR gameplay, and alot it does worse.

The engine management "tricks" that the best IL2 pilots have discovered often do not relate to what you might read, in say, the P-51D manual.

The lack of g meters and stall buzzers I do not consider a step forward in realism. If you were in a real plane, you would have a butt in the seat and a hand on the stick. Something must be done in a simulation to make up for this lack of physical touch relationship with the aircraft. Airplanes are so much harder to trim properly in computer sims than in RL that I don't consider combat trim a major blow to realism, either.

The snap-view system is alot worse than AHII, though not as bad as CFSIII. I mean, imagine you want to check your six. Okay, you can't look directly back, fair enough, I couldn't turn my head completely backwards strapped into a cockpit. So you look back left and right at 45 degrees or so, which sorta covers yours six...EXCEPT....it is about 4 seconds for you "head" to swivel. Mouse views actually allow you to see your six better. Presumbably, the designers think you should be playing with TrackIR.

What will really get you though is the near impotence of 50 cals in IL2. A HurriIs .303s are actually as destructive, maybe even slightly more so, in IL2 than 6 .50s.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:02:54 PM by BnZ »

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 01:00:05 AM »

The snap-view system is alot worse than AHII, though not as bad as CFSIII. I mean, imagine you want to check your six. Okay, you can't look directly back, fair enough, I couldn't turn my head completely backwards strapped into a cockpit. So you look back left and right at 45 degrees or so, which sorta covers yours six...EXCEPT....it is about 4 seconds for you "head" to swivel. Mouse views actually allow you to see your six better. Presumbably, the designers think you should be playing with TrackIR.

It takes me less than a second to look to my rear right or left in an aircraft....  sorry that you have neck problems and can not look back quicker.  As for IL2 being a sim... it is so only in engine management.  The nose bounce baloney at 300 kts ias is so gamey it is not funny.

I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 07:58:24 AM »
I was talking about the "neck" of the IL2 pilot there Bodhi, not my own, which, stiff as it is, can swivel from "up-back-right" to "up-back-left" a heck of alot quicker.  :D

I should have mentioned the total lack of stability of any aircraft as a gun platform no matter how well-trimmed it is. It is funny, you'd think most combat flight games would lean towards unrealism in how EASY it is to fly, it almost seems like IL2 tries to make their stuff harder to fly than an actual airplane.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
Bustr: Slidr, Aces High has come a long way since Relaxed Realism in Air Warrior.

Slidr: Bustr don't go there!! I remember when you got out your pellet pistol and a flashlight to look for my MOUSE first time I mentioned I had one in my room...........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
Yes, I want as much realism to the aircraft as possible.

Arguing that it would impede new players or more casual players is not a valid argument since, as has been discussed, it could be turned on or off like the stall limiter.

Arguing that that it would be a performance advantage to turn off engine management and thus no one would use it also is not a valid argument since, as has been discussed, turning off engine management could result in a slight performance penalty like using the stall limiter.  (Just have max power be a little less with auto engine managment turned on, just like how the stall limiter doesn't allow you to pull quite as much angle of attack as you can with it turned off.)

In the absense of resource-constraint arguments (which I talk about next), the only reason I can see that anyone would argue against more-realistic engine management is from people who don't want it themselves but also don't want others to have it if it means those others would then have a small performance advantage.  That isn't a good argument either.

The most-valid argument really is just the resource issue.  HTC has limited programming resources and needs to work on the highest-priority things.  What would you like?  Better graphics, arena enhancements, improvements to flight models, improvements to damage models, additional aircraft, more-realistic engine management . . . ?  They can't do all of that at the same time.  They must pick the biggest bang for the buck and pass over or delay other items.  I like more realism and hope that aspect continues to be in the mix over time, but there will be others who would rather see HTC forget about more-realistic engine management in order to focus on other things.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
YES

Bring in the CEM as a CM option for the SEA...[cough]friendly-only/no-icons option[cough].

The MA's we can leave for the easy-mode/kill-air-quaker-squeakers.

Offline Lukanian-7

• Copper Member
      • Lukanian-7's MySpace
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
It's AHII, Not FSX. I Can't Even Take Of Without The Auto Take-Off Enabled Thingamobobber. However, It Would Be Nice To See A Ticker!

"Lukania [B-24J Liberator] Crashed"
"Neubob1254 [P-38 Lightning] Lukania"

Lukania Has Been Disconnected --- Reason: Being A 'Smacktard'

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »

Friend Brooke..

When someone comes in and reminds us, "HTC is only 7 people, they don't have the time" that sucks the fun and life out of these wonderfully imaginitve discussions :D :D