Author Topic: Moniter dilemma  (Read 541 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Moniter dilemma
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:42:49 AM »
OK, I'm all ready to order my new system and have decided that as long as I'm getting in the game so to speak maybe I should get a new flat panel, widescreen LCD moniter.

Here's my dilemma.  I'm looking at two moniters, the Samsung 226BW, Specs:

Screen Size 22" 
Widescreen Yes 
Recommended Resolution 1680 x 1050 
Viewing Angle 160°(H) / 160°(V) 
Brightness 300 cd/m2 
Contrast Ratio 700:1(DC 3000:1) 
Response Time 2 ms (GTG) 
Display Type WSXGA+ 

Or the Viewsonic VX1940w, Specs:

Screen Size 19" 
Widescreen Yes 
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 160°(V) 
Brightness 300 cd/m2 
Contrast Ratio DC 3000:1 (1000:1) 
Response Time 2ms(GTG) 
Horizontal Refresh Rate 24~82kHz 
Vertical Refresh Rate 50~85Hz 
Panel Active Matrix, TFT LCD 
Display Type WSXGA+ 

I really kind of like the specs on the Viewsonic (19" but very high resolution for a 19") but I'm afraid it will be too small.

The Samsung seems like a decent size (but slightly lower specs and more $ than the Viewsonic).

Or, am I better off to just keep using my current 19" Viewsonic CRT (there's nothing wrong with it... it's about 3-4 years old) until I can afford a 24" or something a little bigger (and will that, or any of these, be better than my CRT)?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Moniter dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
Unless you're clammering for more desk space, hang on to your CRT until the 24" LCD's drop down in price. The difference between 19" and 22" isn't very significant, from a visual standpoint. The difference between 19" and 24" is WOW! The longer you wait, the cheaper they'll get.

If and when you jump on a 24" LCD, make sure your vid card will support the native resolution.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:08:10 AM »
I went from a 21" CRT to a 19" LCD (non widescreen) and the screen size was very close. The sharpness was a huge improvement.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
Bald, have you built a new system, or are you still using your dinosaur?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
Still using my dinasaur but am most likely ordering the new system within the next day or two.  I'm going from a Sopwith Camel to an F-18 :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
If you have no real need for widescreen, I'd hold out for a 3:4 ratio 19" + screen.

I have a 19" and it's pretty big. 19" on a LCD gives you more room than 19" on a CRT.

No need for a 24" unless you have something specific in mind, like doing graphics or editing work and spreading out all your sub-windows or toolbars.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »
I changed everything around at my place... Playing now on a 37" LCD HDTV... No looking back now *MUHAHAHAHA*  26" HDTVS would make great monitors and you have the TV tuner as a bonus... Or if you feel froggy, a 32" HDTV for A hair under 550 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8274379&type=product&id=1171058028982
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »
http://www.nextag.com/24-inch-lcd-monitor/search-html

The first one doesn't seem to bad in price.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
Monitors are measured diagonally from one corner to another.  Basically it's a measurement of the diagonal diameter of the tube.

CRT tubes extend beyond the monitor case, as the edges get so distorted you can't use it anyway, and as a result a 19" CRT, for example, might only be 17.2" viewable.

LCD's, on the other hand, use every bit of the screen.. so a 19" CRT is 19" viewable.  Most likely the 19" LCD is going to be bigger than your current monitor (although the widescreen makes it a slightly different story).  If you have no real use for a widescreen, save your money and get a normal aspect ratio monitor.

Keep in mind, using a widescreen in Aces High will not give you an edge over your opponents.  Yes the 'window' may be wider, but the height will be less, and as a result you'll need to be looking down to see some gauges and AMMO counters.. things you could normally see in the forward view of a normal aspect monitor.

My opinion?  Dump the CRT.  An LCD gives you a brighter, clearer, SHARPER image.. and also helps eliminate those awful headaches after playing for hours on end!  The difference is truly amazing, even for my old, 'entry level' LCD.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:48 PM »
Really depends on the CRT.  I have yet to find an LCD panel that produces the color depth, and clarity of the monitor I have at home.  But to be fair, it is a professional level monitor.  Not something you could buy at any retail outlet.

I am just hoping it will last long enough until a decent replacement technology comes along.  Lcd is a stop gap.  Too many limitations and not one has yet to be able to produce accurate colors across the spectrum as well as a high quality CRT could.

The black levels in LCD's are terrible.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »
circit city has a pc monitor.i dont remember the brand name but i do remember the size for 499.00 it a 27.5 in monitor hi rez. i will try to find the add.

<<S>> Capt.GrnEagle.
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:49:29 AM »
Well, since I last posted I found these two that I'm now trying to choose between (that is if you truely belive an LCD will be better than my CRT):

What I'm most concerned about is that I don't want to lose any height on-screen.  I just want to add width.  I did some measuring and calculating and I'm pretty sure a 20" widescreen LCD will give as much height as my 19" normal aspect CRT.  The other thing is I'm afraid of with an LCD is ghosting.  I brought a 19" LCD home once and returned it to get my current 19" CRT due to (minor) ghosting.  Because of that I want a very high response rate (2-3 ms) and very few of the normal aspect ratio LCD's I've seen have that.

Well anyway, here they are.  They are both LG products.  My question now is, is the 22" worth $90 more than the 20" ($329 vs $239)?  Also, will I get a sharper picture at the same res on the smaller screen?

Screen Size 20" 
Widescreen Yes 
Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050 
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 170°(V) 
Brightness 300 cd/m2 
Contrast Ratio 3000:1 
Response Time 2ms 
Display Type WSXGA+ 

Screen Size 22" 
Widescreen Yes 
Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050 
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 170°(V) 
Brightness 300 cd/m2 
Contrast Ratio 3000:1 
Response Time 2ms 
Display Type WSXGA 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:00:43 AM by BaldEagl »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:55:19 AM »
Oops, I went to do an edit and accidently posted a quote of myself.  I guess the new BBs doesn't have a delete option.  Too bad, I used that fairly regularily.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:00:07 AM by BaldEagl »

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:43:20 AM »
I myself didn't go with the widescreen and am happy with my 19in reg screen .

From my old 21in monitor that was dieing the colors are much better , plus the 19in is about the same view size .

I do see some ghosting on names from time to time though .

19in Hanns-G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254013

I got the idea to get this from another memeber on this board .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »
I have the Samsung 226BW and am still trying to get the screen to look right.  Running full width does cut some of the gauges off in some planes and even pulling head back doesn't help.  Still trying to get text looking right too.  PS. It's monitor, not moniter. :lol
Here is a screen shot on full width, just to show text. I've since changed back to 1400 x 1200 or whatever it is(next size down)

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors