Author Topic: Ok, so here is the one issue with Aces High  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Locoweed

• Zinc Member
Re: Ok, so here is the one issue with Aces High
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 01:46:17 AM »
So lazy people take the time to check out Soda's descriptions of each aircraft and what it's strengths is and study aircraft maneuvers from manuals or are all newbies lazy? Sigh.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 01:48:11 AM »
As a game programmer I like to check out and play other games every now and again. Aces High is an excellent MMO game that I could easily get additted to if I had the time. The realism is awesome and it seems like the Aces High team is adding more content to the game all the time to make the game better.

Here is the one rub I have with the game playing it, and it is a very important aspect I don't think the Aces High team has planned into the game. I have played and help write some MMO games and never have I seen a MMO game with more distain for new members then this one. Even though I enjoyed the overall gameplay from the beginning, as a new member I found myself with nothing to do but practice some and then when I felt like joining in the fun all I ever got was grief.

I would practice flying planes, then join in only to be rediculed. I would play 5" gunner on a CV and shoot down many attacking planes, never once to be congratulated by anyone. Actually, it almost felt like people were pissed that there was a newbie on the CV gun. Whether or not that is true, that is how it felt to me as a new member.

The hatred for newbies in this game is unbelievable and it has more to do with the game design itself then anything else. The game designers need to add game content for new members where they can be respected and not be dished on from the day they join game. It is really rediculous in a way.

Other than that, the gameplay is awesome.

Please gamedev team lessen the hate on the newbies. I really don't see how you can increase your membership much with what they have to go through.

Sincerely,
Loco

why dont you just type "wtfg me"? Then people will notice you and say wtg thats all.  Simple as that.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Locoweed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 01:50:30 AM »
This is exactly what I was describing, all newbies are lazy and need no respect. I am a newbie, so you automatically assume I don't study or work at getting better. To you all, I am a newbie and deserve no respect no matter if I am trying to learn game. I am just a gosh darn newbie, which is what I was saying when I started this thread.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 01:51:31 AM »
So lazy people take the time to check out Soda's descriptions of each aircraft and what it's strengths is and study aircraft maneuvers from manuals or are all newbies lazy? Sigh.

If you did that then I'm more then willing to help you.  I wasn't speaking to you directly with my previous statements.

P.S.  Teaching someone new takes a lot of work.  I'm not sure you realize how difficult it is to train someone properly. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:55:55 AM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Locoweed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 01:54:15 AM »
I really didn't expect to get into a brawl with the old timers. I was just stating what I thought could be improved in the game, which is give the newbies something respectable to do until they got accustomed to game.

I really didn't mean to get into this craziness.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:58:38 AM by Locoweed »

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 02:00:47 AM »
I spoke with Skuzzy a few days ago and he stated they were working on a Training Academy for the newer players.  They are very well aware they need to improve the training for the newer players.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Locoweed

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 02:02:12 AM »
A newbie who is doing a good job should get as much respect as a 5 year player doing a good job for what their skill level is. Once again, just my opinion. I will let it go and my name in the game is not Locoweed, so if you see a Locoweed it's not me.  ;)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 02:03:23 AM »
It felt more like I couldn't find a friend unless I knew a friend already type of community.
That one I could see.  

And no I don't remember what it was like to be a n00b, because this is like the 3rd or 4th generation of the genre, and many of the communitiy knows each other from those other games.  From day one I had friends and a rep from an older game, so I don't really know what it's like to start cold.

I will comment that the 2 week trial brings in quite a bit of people who will likely never subscribe, and who do all the annoying things mentioned.  If a new player comes off that way, even unintentionally, experienced players will be less willing to help.  Not because they hate new players, but because there is a constant stream of "2 weekers" who ignore all the help and documentation, and expect a warm welcome when asking a barrage of dumb questions in the main arenas...Many don't want to waste their time with them.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 02:17:20 AM »
A newbie who is doing a good job should get as much respect as a 5 year player doing a good job for what their skill level is. Once again, just my opinion.

From what I see they do.  I see quite a few players come through the training arena, and hook up with a squad, or someone they like to wing with.  I see them get WTGs when they land 2 or 3 kills, because thats an accomplishment for them.  (conversely, I've landed a dozen plus without a peep from the peanut gallery sometimes...I guess b/c it gets old after awhile :) ).

The pinnacle of AH is air combat though, so unless you are working on a group goal like preping a base for capture for instance, there's usually not many kudos to be handed out if the achievement was not air combat related :)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 02:23:06 AM »
When I see members of the same squad give each other WTGs on open channel, I can't help but think how much of an attention ***** they are. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:26:03 AM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 02:27:14 AM »
When I see squads giving each other WTGs on open channel, I can't help but think how much of an attention ***** they are. 
I agree with that also.  In my squad most of that is done on squad channel, with an occational 1 or 2 on open channels.  System channel already announced who landed how many from what squad.  We really don't need the other dozen players from that squad clogging the comms with pats on the back.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 03:00:17 AM »
Welcome to Aces High, locoweed.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 03:03:37 AM »
Hey Loco, if your CPID is different to your forum ID put it in ur sig. That way we as a community will learn to put player to poster and you will begin to gain some recognition.
If you fly Bish keep an eye out for myself or any of the GIAP, we are usually pretty patient with newer players and are more than willing to give help where it's needed.
I often find new players sitting on the runway trying to get up when I log in and a lot of my first sorties are spent helping them get airborne and getting some basics down.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 03:11:07 AM »
Ok I'll add one more at least :)

This game is a very high learning curve game. A simulation even. No matter what HTC were to do, the only thing that makes you better at this game is playing it. They could write an true AI to have classes every minute of every day for new folks and it would still take a great deal of time for them to come close to even being able to *pick* a good stick. The very nature of this MMO is that reward comes from practice.  The reason why many people respect each other and give <S>'s and wtgs is because they've been down the road of where you are right now, put on their game face, took their losses and learned. That is all you can do. You are going to die a lot. When you get your kills it's not going to necessarily be in a way that is going to get you props(pun intended). First, you are going to get "WTGs" from your countrymen(or squad if you join one) when you land kills and they actually realize you are on their team, especially when they know you aren't a shades account and are new. Just realize if you shoot down someone, chances are you caught them offguard while they were already engaged and they didn't notice you. It's happened to them so many times that A) they get mad about it(really beating a dead horse tho) or B) Are beyond getting mad anymore, shrug it off and reup. In either case, it really doesn't earn you recognition from the person you killed.

Once you start learning how to find 1 on 1's, and you do have to learn how to, engage and have a nice, long fight with someone you will start getting the recognition you are looking for from them(well from people who aren't stuck at A). You may even get a <S> even if you have advantage, they notice you, and you still knock them down with gunnery skills.  A good sport respects that usually.

It's the people who strap in for the long run who get the most respect in most cases. They've taken their losses, and losses, and losses, like champs(sometimes  :D ) and have progressed, in knowledge and ability, past them.

The best way to learn how to play this game is by dying and investing time into understanding why you died. Watching films people have put up and the ones you have recorded yourself and recognizing the reason why you died is paramount. Reading sites like Soda's is another must. Many people are so engrossed in this game that they've read books like Shaw's fighter combat book(thanks again to OddCAF for sending me his, I love ya man and you are the  :rock!).  There are just so many aspects to actually being "good" at this game that by it's nature it is not noobie friendly. It is a WWII airplane simulation game, and it comes with a lot of bells and whistles that need mastered. The most important things seem like they aren't, things like knowing where the fight between two airbases is happening. Situational Awareness is the most important factor in this game, and there can be no tutorial written that will teach you it. It doesn't just involve knowing what is happening around you at the moment, but figuring out what might be happening 1,2,5 or even 10 minutes later.

Anyways, I hope you stick with it. Just realize that this game demands your time if you want recognition. It's unlike most any other MMO in the fact it really does take skill and some sort of brain to be good at. Keep with it, take your knocks, and rise above the general population's skill and you will find yourself getting more and more <S>'s from opponents, and the best part is going to be that you earned them.

PS: Sorry for the disjointed and rambling post, 4am here :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:15:55 AM by nimble »
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2008, 03:36:26 AM »

Loco,

I have always thought that these were good guide lines ...
 They were posted on  the main AcesHigh Website,  long while back .....

Regards
 Bob/ CHECKERS

The unwritten rules of Aces High
As with many games, over time some
unwritten rules establish them selves as
generally accepted behavior. These rules
are not cast in concrete but are a good
guideline on how one conducts himself.
Some rules take into account "real" life happenings while playing the game
while others are pretty much accepted by the population of online players for
ingame issues.
First are the accepted unwritten rules for real life issues:

1. When nature calls, announcing on Channel One "Pee Break" and ones
    location is accepted as a "timeout". Time may vary but that pilot is
    considered offlimits for that time period.
2. When the beer is empty, announcing on Channel One "Beers Empty"
    results in the same timeout with the additional requirement of grabbing
    beer for anyone that want's it.
3. Wife ack. No explanation is necessary. No time limit is imposed.
4.  Pet interference: dependent on the nature of intrusion and resultant                   outcome as it effects participation.

Accepted unwritten rules for ingame issues:

1. In a base vultching situation the first to call "dibs" goes to the front of the
    line. When mulitple pilots call dibs at the same time, a coin flip will decide
    who is first. Taking cuts is frowned upon.
2. Wiping the goo from ones air screen is an official timeout if it has been
    announced on Channel One. Time may vary dependent on the amount of
    goo present. Multiple kills=more goo. evaluated on a per kill basis.
3.Anyone that bails and opens his chute above 600 feet AGL shall be shot         in their chute. The resultant whining on Channel One will be replied with           the comment "Your Momma"
4. Political discussions, whining about getting killed, ANYTHING in CAPS
    on Channel One shall result in the offender becoming a labeled "tard" and
    shall be shunned by those present.
5.  The talking of "smack" is reviewed on a case by case basis. Good smack
     is a pleasure to read. Badly written smack reflects on the poster more             than the recipient. So good sentence structure and a clear thought                   processes are required so as not to percieved as a "tard".  Talking good
     smack is akin to walking a mine field. The liabilities out way the benifits.
Unwritten rules really are a way of life. They are not hard and fast rules, but rules that have been accepted over time. Think of it as a step up into the world of Aces High. Now go out and have some fun !!
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.