Author Topic: vanscrews real fighting style  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
Re: vanscrews real fighting style
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »
We've all had our "Not fair" kills with Vanscrew before.  He's a good pilot,  even if 99% of his kills are supposedly "Not fair"s.
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 11:50:27 PM »
Yes but people don't realize that BnZ is a tactic. Even the ones that knows the tactics used in WW2 for some odd reason want to
discredit those who are fliers simply in my opinion "beef their ego". Was well stated in Adolf Gallands book that Tactic germans found "BEST" during spanish war was Boom and Zoom. Saying this some people here dont realize the tactics flown at beginning of World war 2. Luftbury Circle ring a bell anyone? Yeah Typical formation of 5-6 planes doing a wide circle and idea is to cover the guy infront of you. However german aces exploited this Move and adopted "boom and zoom" closing closer then 100 meters for shots. If you think This tactic was garbage then perhaps aces like star of africa were a FRAUD. What about in Pacific Ocean when F3F's couldn't dogfight Zeros? Thach wave? Oh but thats 1 on 2 thats not fair. Its a Game, people are taking things to complex level, just leave it and what CorkyJR says best "Its A game, enjoy it"

Yes, but we all know that in WWII, they were playing with their life also...

donkey
2sBlind

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
I guess what hasnt been said, that should be known, is BiPolar got chucked from the squad ages ago...for being an idiot. 

So seeing him boohoo about Van, whose in the squad, doesnt surprise me one bit.

I haven't bothered to view the film...pretty certain its BiPolar complaining about how (insert player name) fights.

Seems like we have a lot of people dictating how what others fly, how they fly or how they fight is all wrong lately.  Players get bent of bombers shoot players down (BUFF GUNS OVERPOWERED!), if they drop bombs (Toolshedders!) or if some guy opts not do get into a turn fight with an La7.

Search me man.  I fly a P-51B lately for the challenge of it.  With those four .50 cals, it takes most of my ammo load to get one kill   ;)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »
I guess what hasnt been said, that should be known, is BiPolar got chucked from the squad ages ago...for being an idiot. 

So seeing him boohoo about Van, whose in the squad, doesnt surprise me one bit.

I haven't bothered to view the film...pretty certain its BiPolar complaining about how (insert player name) fights.

Seems like we have a lot of people dictating how what others fly, how they fly or how they fight is all wrong lately.  Players get bent of bombers shoot players down (BUFF GUNS OVERPOWERED!), if they drop bombs (Toolshedders!) or if some guy opts not do get into a turn fight with an La7.

Search me man.  I fly a P-51B lately for the challenge of it.  With those four .50 cals, it takes most of my ammo load to get one kill   ;)

What you fail to know is that your statement is nothing less than a lie bud
Ive never been thrown out of any squad
know your facts before you speak
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
I don't know who van screw is....cant remember ever being anywhere near one, but based on the whining about this one particular guy here on this bb he must be one of the more capable folks to ever play the game.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 12:42:49 AM »
Let it be known that I picked my screen name because "boom and zoom" was a phrase that kept coming up when I was reading about the exploits of American fighter pilots, back in the days before we Walter Mitty types had online flight sims to feed our fantasies.

Until I had played AH awhile, I thought BnZ meant "using an airspeed advantage and vertical maneuvering to fight against better turning planes".

Apparently to some, both those who boom and zoom and those who complain about boom and zoom,  the phrase means "make one pass at 500mph and then dissapear, never, ever to be seen again."

I honestly like 190s, since before I played flight sims. For someone of my raising,the FW190 is the ultimate "sinister" tool if you wish to play at being the villian, if Snidely Whiplash's mustache were an airplane, it would be a black Dora :-). (I also like Jugs, but since 3/4s of the airplanes you meet will be Allied, flying
 Luftwaffe is more historically satisfying during a Walter Mitty moment. Shooting a Spit with a 190 just feels better than shooting it with a Thunderbolt. I squint my eyes and pretend the niks are spits...)

Also, I honestly like flying to kill AND survive. To me, going into a chaotic furball and inevitably dying is pointless, even if you get several kills in the process. Take away a real pilots desire to live another day, and it is just plane Quake. (Why NOT ho if you don't care about living?) People speak of "score whoring", but score is not calculated by kill/loss ratio alone. Mathematically and practically, it actually improves your overall score to get up, get to the nearest fight as quickly as possible, kill some as quickly as you can (which usually means a good turning cannon bird), and if you get killed, then that just saves you time spent in RTB. Do this often enough to have kill numbers in the mid-three digits and you're golden.

Call me perverse, but believe it or not, I'd rather get one single, solitary, lonesome kill, get clean away with the dirty deed and land, than get shot down with ANY number of kills. Blame it on reading Kylander's book or something, I dunno.

Some act like that flying a fast plane and using tactics suited to such planes is an act of malice or cowardice. I think it is a reasonable response to the actual conditions in the MA.

Got some good sticks in my squad. Lambo, 2cmex, Creton. Have gone round and round with them in the DA, it is fun, have gotten pretty decent at it. Also found that what you learn there, you rarely get to apply in the MA

Some representative sorties:

Up a Spit. Find a furball, red and green fill the sky. See another spit heading towards me. Unload and dive under him, listen to the crack of guns during the merge. Pull my Immelman and get on his six easily he flat turns, cut my throttle and "saddle". Oh crap, there is another spit diving on me. Turn into him, get on him, oh crap, first spit or maybe another spit, I don't know, is coming. Start barrel rolling for my life, even get he flaps down, oh good, I've pushed him out in front. Oh crap!, there is a CHog on my six, and my E is low low. He is not BnZing (I wish!), he is slow and has flaps out, commited to killing me (Even though the sky is filled with green as well as red.) I die as he belch dozens of 20mms at me. CHog pilot almost certainly gets shot down pretty soon himself...he is too low and slow and there are just too many green planes. Pointless crap.

Lesson: Spits are wonderful in every way except for low top speed. Which in the MA is the same as having a sign around your neck saying "Gang me." That is why, unlike others, I don't consider the Spits/Niks/Hurris/Zekes planes of the dweebish or lame, I consider them the planes of the masochistic.

Another. Up D9, went to 15K. Met another D9 at that alt in transit to the main fight. We have the sky to ourselves, we commit to a turn fight. It is tense for awhile, maybe five minutes. He tries a front quarter snap shot (not a HO) that takes off a flap. But he sacrificed angles to do it and now it is only a matter of tightening the noose. We are turning as tight as possible, I'm creeping closer to a shot. Then BOOM, a P51 appears out of the sky and saws his tail off. Result: I've wasted time, fuel, energy and mental concentration for zip, he has down the same for the reward of being shot down. Pointless crap.

Lesson: Not only is it dangerous to commit to a 1v1 when there is more than 1 red guy around, it can be incredibly frustrating to commit to a fight when there are too many green guys around. You've got assume you will be fighting a red horde for survival 90% of the time, and that often enough, you will be fighting a green horde for kills. In either case, the old "Speed is life" saw turns out to be correct.

I've had hundreds of experiences similar to this in the time I've spent playing AH. Now tell me again why it is wrong to favor fast planes and BNZ tactics...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »
I don't know who van screw is....cant remember ever being anywhere near one, but based on the whining about this one particular guy here on this bb he must be one of the more capable folks to ever play the game.

Not really, just your average player really.  His "claim to fame" isn't from his flying skills but his habit of joining a squadron and then leaving it two weeks later.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2008, 01:15:43 AM »
Also, I honestly like flying to kill AND survive. To me, going into a chaotic furball and inevitably dying is pointless, even if you get several kills in the process.

Call me perverse, but believe it or not, I'd rather get one single, solitary, lonesome kill, get clean away with the dirty deed and land, than get shot down with ANY number of kills. Blame it on reading Kylander's book or something, I dunno.

Same here, mate, same here   :aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2008, 01:42:28 AM »
Donna please

The only part of this entire post that was any good LOL   :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl   
  Almost spit my adult beverage out when I read that :)

As for pickers just go land and up somewhere else, then either come back at them with good alt or just ignor them and fly in some other area letting them pick others that arn't as smart.  :D
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Banshee7

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2008, 01:47:57 AM »
i loved turn fighting BP's LA7 in my D9 earlier.  He didn't know what to do when i got his six so he went BOOM

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2008, 01:48:13 AM »
I was picked three times in a row tonight while dogfighting low and slow by typical BnZ planes. Am I now supposed to file a complaint or post film to "expose" the players too?  Or am I still allowed to blame it on my own poor SA?

Just wondering...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2008, 01:52:25 AM »
I was picked three times in a row tonight while dogfighting low and slow by typical BnZ planes. Am I now supposed to file a complaint or post film to "expose" the players too?  Or am I still allowed to blame it on my own poor SA?

Just wondering...

If you're an honest, good man, blame it on your poor SA.

If you feel you absolutely just have to file a complaint, or post a film to "expose" the players, you're...Well, I can't find the word, somebody substitute please?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 02:01:05 AM »
i loved turn fighting BP's LA7 in my D9 earlier.  He didn't know what to do when i got his six so he went BOOM

LOL umm picked would be the word
And ill DA you any day sweet pea
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
Didn't HT one time say the game was all about PO'ing the other guy?  I can't be bothered with watching the film but it sounds like it worked.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 03:37:35 AM »
Gosh, the fun never stops... Air war by day, soap opera by night :rofl :aok :huh :lol :) :O ;) :D :( :o :P :cry :t :cool: :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek: :rock :uhoh :pray :devil :angel: :eek: :frown: :salute :furious :noid
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.