Author Topic: Turns and e  (Read 692 times)

Offline Void56

• Zinc Member
Turns and e
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:43:30 AM »
Ok so yesterday some guy pulled off some move to get behind my tail. what happened whas i was in a f4u4 and got on his tail then he pulled a high yo-yo and i followed again. after that he was gone and the next thing i now is that im dead... can anyone fill in the blanks for me here. I had him in my sight the whole time!

another thing, every time i am up and zoom down for a kill it seems like e doesnt matter and that anyone can get right on my tail. i was flyin an f4u4 again and zoomed down on a p51d, killed it and climbed up to my higher perch but i noticed a spit was following me. how is that even possible if i have higher e and he just comes out of low alt and starts following me with ease?
The Corsair's distinctive sound, which earned it among the Japanese the nick-name of "Whistling Death", partly because of the engine sound, that was caused by the wing-root inlets for engine air.
-in other words American planes kick butt!!!-

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Turns and e
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:55:48 AM »
Film your flights.  First question is hard to tell without film, but it was likely a stall reversal or an overshoot setup.

Second question...Here again, film is your friend.  All the altitude and speed for every player within range is recorded.  If you're doing 200mph at 5K, and I am doing 490mph on the deck, who has more E?  Your F4u4 can probably zoom another 2K.  My 38 can zoom about 7.5K.  That means I have more E than you. 

I commonly go low, or stay low to mask my E state just so I can catch someone trying to go back up to their perch.  If you have a film to review you can usually see where and how you misjudged another planes E state, or how that plane bypassed your situational awareness and surprised you.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »
... after that he was gone and the next thing i now is that im dead... can anyone fill in the blanks for me here. I had him in my sight the whole time!

Obviously you didn't have him in your sights the whole time.  Without film there's no way to assess what happened to you as "he was gone" isn't enough of a description.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
I have the same problem with La-7's Void. I'll dive down, make a pass on someone and start climbing. When I look back there's an La-7 that has just taken off climb up and catching me. Don't know how they do it.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
Yep, those LA7s and Spixteenocopters can surprise with their climb. A little spiral in your climb and maybe a notch of flap at the extreme may just help keep you from stalling long enough to avoid them until they stall. If you're committed to the zoom at that point and their E adv is not TOO great.

As Murdr said though, more often than not the spit or LA (could be any plane) snuck up on you or has stored E from an earlier dive or has been level for a long time (building speed) before you picked him up.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
A QUICK NOTE........

as others have stated, we need film...in case you don't know how to film though.......it's ALT-R. that starts you filming, and when you're done filming, same keys stop it.
 i generally turn film on as soon as the enemy is in vis range.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)