Author Topic: Wirblewind  (Read 8602 times)

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
Re: Wirblewind
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »

Anyone checked out the new CVs????????????

I have...and good luck to those of you trying to attack a cv from the deck...atleast twice as many guns than before....it is loaded.  And also named USS Waffle!!!     :lol
"Hello, Newman."

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »
I don't vulch, but I do like to hunt GVs... that will be a much tougher sport, now, with the Wirbelwind around..... :eek:

And CVs are gorgeous now! :) Great thing to be on the bridge, now! ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »
Yeah the Wirblewind will make it easier to protect fellow gv's from air attacks, like if you got a gv mission to attack a town, you take a few of those along and you'll have really good air defense, much better then using the flaks.  Flaks were hard to get kills with unless you had alot of time in them and had mastered it, but with the Wirblewind just about anyone can use it and get air kills.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 10:40:13 PM »
The Wirble is great! Doesn't have the range of the Ostie but that's OK. Too bad the veiws in the ostie got porked.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »
The perfect mix to protect any field would now consist of a mix of Ostwinds & Wirbelwinds. Wirbelwind to get all thos lowe fast passing vulchers and strafers, Ostwind to reach out and touch low buffs or Jabos before dropping their bomb.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline soupcan

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 04:46:01 AM »
It's an ostie on steroids!
 :aok
Addicted since tour 62.
news in game.
http://www.415thsquad.com/

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 05:05:38 AM »
The perfect mix to protect any field would now consist of a mix of Ostwinds & Wirbelwinds. Wirbelwind to get all thos lowe fast passing vulchers and strafers, Ostwind to reach out and touch low buffs or Jabos before dropping their bomb.

Yep, Lusche, just place a wirbelwind at the end of each runway and wait.... almost like vulching the vulchers, or reverse spawn camping!
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »
I first found out about the Whirblewind in Close Combat III.  It was excellent at turning enemy troops into raw hamburger.  Always thought it would be a good addition to AH.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 06:13:29 AM »

I was actually looking forward to this vehicle more then anything else. I must say its even more then I expected, a perfect cross between the M-16s rate of fire and Osties hitting power. I believe the Whirlie is going to change the dynamics of the game and make it more realistic to actual historical air combat. Already I noticed guys being a little more cognizant about both where they were at and what altitude. All night last night I watched the game scrolls rattle off players with multiple kills from Whirlies.

AH really hit a home run with this one. The new CVs are awesome too. I didn't spend much time in the 5" guns but they appear to be far more responsive when moving them around. Im not an uber-CV-gunner but I imagine if you fill a CV up with those types then sinking it will now be a very difficult proposition. Which is great.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 06:26:31 AM »
I guess there was a reason why Pierre Closterman absolutely hated those quad 20mm installations and saw bad dreams if they were supposed to go on a strafing mission. 

AFAIK it had the same grenade as the airborne 20mm cannons but a bigger casing for more powder and thus added muzzle velocity.

-C+

"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline nick172

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »
I feel that this may just move the fights up a bit which would be a huge improvement. I hope HTC leaves them unperked, People will acctually have to bomb from alt!

Offline Barnes828

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 06:54:53 AM »
I had 16 kills in two sorties with it.

first one was a conga line of p39s coming off of a CV and they all tried to strafe me.  :t

had 11 kills then a bomb got me when my turret was out...

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »

Insightful... I found it to be DEATH for low flying fighters. 1st sortie in one I landed 2 kills after about 5 minutes up! landed to re-arm, got 2 more in 2 minutes. It is a very effective low level air defender. At first I thought it was the end of the Ostwind, until I tried to engage a target past 1.5K out. A combonation of the two will be deadly.

BTW Lusche... kudos for the kuegels last night engaging 2 ME-262s in a 190! I was the one that got away and gave you the <Salute>
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Did you guys know that the wirblewind has 2 rates of fire?? Your secondary weapons trigger cuts the fire rate in half. Mash the main trigger and unleash hell.

I love this thing.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Hoagi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »
Guess I will have to rethink a little when vulching a field.  Got owned twice by whirbles, one from least 1500 away, I saw no Icon, just the tower.  GRRRR. 

Hoagi