Author Topic: Wirblewind  (Read 8601 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wirblewind
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »
Nah, it still has the open top turret and can still only fire in one direction at a time. Distract the gunner with one target and pop his turret from a different direction.

As Elfie said, no more difficult to kill than the Ostwind.  It just has a tremendous rate of fire, so if you get into it's arc(1.0k) you will be toasted by even the worst/novice gunners out there.  As a self-professed Ostie expert I will say it is easier to track targets, not quite the range, but a meat grinder nonetheless.  Vulching will no longer occur in AH, without removing the VH first.  No perk needed, but folks better adjust their tactics a bit!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
It's definitely perkworthy...

I checked earlier today, and it's got (in 1 day) 2000 kills to about 950 deaths. Now, of those, about 550+ were from GVs, so vs aircraft it's got better than a 4:1 kill ratio.

It's an instant ping killer. I was nowhere near one, took one ping, and my engine and oil were instantly dead. Too bad I was low and slow, so I make a gentle turn (my mistake here, I turned INTO the wirblewind!) and 2 seconds after losing my engine my tail was gone and some other parts and I was floating down to the ground in a fuselage with a pilot trapped inside.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
I think its only racking up a few kills right now because it is popular and perhaps a little easier to use than the Osti. Like I say, I'm not sure it is actually better than the Osti.

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
The osti does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same war with the wobbly.  For those true experts the osti  may have a tad more ping kill power true.  But the beauty/horror of the wobbly is that almost anyone can jump in one for the first time and become an instant  terror to the skies.

In my mind, anything that is so easy to use should be perked.  It's like a ground bound La-7 only worse.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 01:41:37 PM »
Still, I think a low perk might be reasonable.  It is 4 20MM cannon, after all.  Think of how quickly something like that could take down a town.  Or eat up low flying a/c.  Not suggesting a perk because it is tough to kill.  Just that it has a gawdawful effective rate of fire.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
I think its only racking up a few kills right now because it is popular and perhaps a little easier to use than the Osti. Like I say, I'm not sure it is actually better than the Osti.

Usuall new items do not get a very good k/d that quick, because people are a) not yet used to it and b) using it in every possible and impossible situation without any regards to survival.

But on the other hand, let's wait two weeks. I have the feeling that pilots are slow to adjust and need some time to comprehend that low level passes over defended locations are now very dangerous. ;)

Personally, I am just a bit sad about the fact that my Il2 / Hurricane IID / B-25H tank busting days are over now  :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:47:48 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »
Still, I think a low perk might be reasonable.  It is 4 20MM cannon, after all.  Think of how quickly something like that could take down a town.  Or eat up low flying a/c.  Not suggesting a perk because it is tough to kill.  Just that it has a gawdawful effective rate of fire.
It isn't very impressive against towns.  Ostwind is far superior for that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
Hmmm...may have to change my mind.

Osti IS harder to use now that you can't see over the sides very well and can't see very well for deflection. Slightly easier to see in the Wirbel, which may put it over the top. Five points sounds reasonable.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
In my opinion it does pretty well against towns. It does it faster than an ostwind. Osty has a bigger round, no doubt, and a lot of ammo, but the rate of fire and the quantity of guns firing means a WW in second or third gear can just drive along and shoot down a dozen buildings in the time an osty has to slow down and/or stop to keep shooting at its target.

I don't see one taking down a town by itself. Testing offline, however, it took out probably 60% of a town. Get a single bomber pass, or maybe a pair of WWs working in tandem, and it'll clear a town post-haste!

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »
Usuall new items do not get a very good k/d that quick, because people are a) not yet used to it and b) using it in every possible and impossible situation without any regards to survival.

But on the other hand, let's wait two weeks. I have the feeling that pilots are slow to adjust and need some time to comprehend that low level passes over defended locations are now very dangerous. ;)

Personally, I am just a bit sad about the fact that my Il2 / Hurricane IID / B-25H tank busting days are over now  :(
I blew up 2 B25's in a row in TT his morning. god i love this thing :rock
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »
This thing is a Osti on steroids, I don't think it will be long before we see HTC perking it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
I wish they would rename it WIRB or something...gets annoying when you see "FLAK", dive in, and get blown out of the sky by 4 20mms.

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
I blew up 2 B25's in a row in TT his morning. god i love this thing :rock

I was in an ostwind at an enemy base not too long ago, and I landed 5 hits on a B-25 b before the final hit set it on fire.

WW *definitely* much more effective.

Anybody had the chance to try it on lancs yet? I can guess the results, but it'd be nice to confirm 'em.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Lots of talk about perkin the wirblewind.....I think thats a great idea!!!! AS SOON AS THEY PERK VULCHERS :D
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline LTARifle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 03:53:35 PM »
Perk it why?
Upped one landed three upped an osti landed 3 one was a panzer who did'nt see me untill it was too late.
Upped a whirble a little later same situation with a panzer only this time all i saw was traces bouncing everywhere. Seems to me its kinda defenceless against any type of tank.
So its good against low flying planes but not gvs.
Kinda like a B25 killing gv's but get a fighter with cannon on its 6  :O
RIP Mac

566 SHAP Red Storm
II/JG27 Final Battle
98 Squadron Enemy Coast Ahead
aka Drephus 65th Fs and SWrifle 125th Spartans