Author Topic: Mini-freeze since update  (Read 3800 times)

Offline bergy

• Copper Member
Re: Mini-freeze since update
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »
Count me IN on being ignorant to the cache cleaning process (don't act so surprised) :O
Game name ToeTag

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
To delete the cache, just delete the "cache" folder in your Aces high directory
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bergy

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
Thank you Lusche :salute
Game name ToeTag

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »
I do not see a cache" folder ?

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
I got the same problem with mini-freezes first time I hit a target.

It looks like hit-sprite textures is no longer default preloaded in system memory.

For the time being I shoot a tree after takeoff to get the hit-sprite textures loaded into memory
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
I got the same problem with mini-freezes first time I hit a target.

It looks like hit-sprite textures is no longer default preloaded in system memory.

For the time being I shoot a tree after takeoff to get the hit-sprite textures loaded into memory

This workaround doesn't work well for me. I frequently alt-tab out of the game for other stuff, partly because I have to, partly because I do a lot high-alt bomber interceptions where I don't see the need to stare for 15mins on a basically empty screen during climbout ;)
It used to give me no problems, but now it seems indeed as if the hit sprite textures do only get loaded when firing.

Well, let's wait for Skuzzy to chime in on that matter...

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 07:30:50 PM »
I am having the same screen freeze problem as well.

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »
Having stutters with hits, and having problems with not seeing hit sprites sometimes, but seeing other effects that indicate hits.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 12:17:01 AM »
Same here.  I also noticed something else: I now see my hard drive being accessed while runing AH and this may be associated with the stutters.  Prior to this patch, after the textures preloaded, I never saw the hard drive being accessed at all while flying AH.  On my system the stutters are minor and I can't hit anything anyway, so they have little effect.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
I am also having the mini-freeze problems since the new DL as discussed here with Skuzz yesterday.
Skuzz suggested to reduce texture size to 256 to make a comparison if that will help anyone to diagnose.
I remember having this same problem after another version update along with many more. Also a lot of folks said they were having this problem yesterday ingame.
The last time this happened it just went away after a while for me. <shrug>
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
I get the freeze when I fire my guns on a con first time .

DueCore Duo 6600 , Nivida 7950 , bah bah bah .

Worked fine till this game update .

UPDATE :

I just tried this offline as well . First time I hit a plane with gunes frame rate went from a peged 60 to 49 with small freeze inbetween .

Second plane with no loss off fps as it stayed peged at 60fps . I "did" fire the guns before I shot down the first one but did that by accident as I was looking toward the ground at that time .
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:32:44 AM by airspro »
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »
If you get a freeze when firing your guns, be sure to check the hardware acceleration of the sound card.  Onboard sound chips all should be set to 3/4 acceleration as there is no real hardware acceleration for them.  All the slider does is set the priority the CPU will give sounds to be played.

If you preloaded before and suddelnly now have disk activity, it very well could be due to the increase in textures added to the game for all the new and updated objects.  Reducing texure size in the game's "Video Settings" will confirm that theory.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »
I reduced texture size from 512 to 256 and the same thing is happening.My acceleration is set to 3/4.

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
If you get a freeze when firing your guns, be sure to check the hardware acceleration of the sound card.  Onboard sound chips all should be set to 3/4 acceleration as there is no real hardware acceleration for them.  All the slider does is set the priority the CPU will give sounds to be played.

If you preloaded before and suddelnly now have disk activity, it very well could be due to the increase in textures added to the game for all the new and updated objects.  Reducing texure size in the game's "Video Settings" will confirm that theory.

No stutter when firing guns, just when actually hitting something first time during a sortie. Sounds are no issue (no onboard sound), but as stated before, I even got rid of all custom sounds.Neither 3/4 not full sounds acceleration slider setting does change anything. Also, like stated in my initial posting, I reduced texture size even back to 256.
Also, like stated in my initial posting, I reduced texture size even back to 256. Fully new rebuild & defragmented cache. No change.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:35:03 AM by Lusche »

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »
I get the freeze when I fire my guns on a con first time .
UPDATE :First time I hit a plane with gunes frame rate went from a peged 60 to 49 with small freeze inbetween .

Like Lusche says , it seems to be when I hit a plane as I havn't tried a building yet so far .

I just checked , on this new pc I hadn't had the sound turned down to standard yet ( me bad sorry  :( )

Will check that out soon as I can see if that made any differance .

Busy day here Easter and all  :)

UPDATE : It helped some , FR only went from 60maxed to 53 now , with a smaller stutter  than before . Just to say
it has no stutter or FPS loss on the second drone I just shot down offline .

I also fired my guns prior to shooting the first one down so it seems "to me" that it's just the plane exploding , seems it's not the guns themselves like I first thought playing the game online .
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:59:18 AM by airspro »
My current Ace's High handle is spro