Author Topic: Mini-freeze since update  (Read 3799 times)

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
Re: Mini-freeze since update
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
One thing that has changed and will have a potentila effect on performance is the trees/clutter.  When we fixed the problems with the trees dropping out too early or when someone set the game to less detail, it caused the tress to be shown where they used to drop out before.

If you run with high levels of anti-alising, your system performance in the game could be dramatically impacted due to that change.

This might sound stupid, but what is anti-alising and how would one change it to improve  performance...
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline jon

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.wildaces.us
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »
i flilmed a flight the first time i shoot a con the film freezes if i replay the film it does not. I tryed this 5 times each time i close the filmveiwer and reopen it there is a freeze when i shoot the first con.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:08:15 PM by jon »

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »
This is happening to me as well. I can post system info and settings when I have more time tonight.
-AoM-

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »
This might sound stupid, but what is anti-alising and how would one change it to improve  performance...

this setting smooths the edges of the graphics....it can take a ton of caculations if its set high....... It under you graphic card settings.. If you have a Nivida card you should have a "NIvida control panel" under start programs

<S>

I have not had any of the problems others are talking about. If it helps i can send my computer info and we can see what the differances are ....It may be one way to find out whats going on....Pm if needed
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 08:26:34 AM »
Since the last update, I get some mini-freeze when I first hit any enemy during each sortie. .... AMD 64X2, Win XP, 2GB RAm, GF 7600GT

Lusche,
Not sure if you've fixed this yet, but I have a similar system and had this same problem. Like you, I'm running an AMD 64X2 with WinXP, 2GB RAM, GF 7600GT (x2 in SLI) and was getting screen freezes and severe frame rate drops when I first engaged targets. It happened when my hits would strike causing smoke, fire or explosion.

I tried a few things including dropping my AA to 2x and lower screen resolutions but these changes gave no improvement. Then I checked Preload textures into memory (left Preload skins un-checked) and left Hardware Vertex Processing, Optimize Objs and Terrain checked.

In Nvidia Control Panel I changed the following from the default in the AH profile:
Set all Anistropic Filtering to OFF, AA to 2x, Force Mipmaps to BILINEAR, Texture Filtering to QUALITY and VSync to ON.
I'm not sure which of these did the trick but the frame rate drop and screen freezes are gone now. I'm back to running 1024 textures at 1600x1200 res.

Cpig
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 08:35:50 AM »
Lusche,
Not sure if you've fixed this yet, but I have a similar system and had this same problem. Like you, I'm running an AMD 64X2 with WinXP, 2GB RAM, GF 7600GT (x2 in SLI) and was getting screen freezes and severe frame rate drops when I first engaged targets. It happened when my hits would strike causing smoke, fire or explosion.

I tried a few things including dropping my AA to 2x and lower screen resolutions but these changes gave no improvement. Then I checked Preload textures into memory (left Preload skins un-checked) and left Hardware Vertex Processing, Optimize Objs and Terrain checked.

In Nvidia Control Panel I changed the following from the default in the AH profile:
Set all Anistropic Filtering to OFF, AA to 2x, Force Mipmaps to BILINEAR, Texture Filtering to QUALITY and VSync to ON.
I'm not sure which of these did the trick but the frame rate drop and screen freezes are gone now. I'm back to running 1024 textures at 1600x1200 res.

Cpig

Maybe bilinear mipmaps is the key.. will try it later on both systems, as I had the very same problem on my wifes old AMD 64 3000 with GT6600 too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »
No joy so far. :(

Had all AA and Antisiotropic off, Vsync on, Mipmaps forced to Bilinear, Texture Filtering to Quality, Preload textures but no skins... still freeze at first hit.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
For those of you who have experienced mini-freezes when first firing ur guns, I had the same problem and have fixed the problem.  I have the GE Force 8500 GT video card by Nvidia.  I fixed my problem by adding the Aceshigh.exe command to  "program Settings"  in the Nvidia control Panel and  programed those settings instead of using the global settiings listed for aces High under the global settings tab.  For those of you who want to try this fix, this is what I did:
    Opened nvidia control panel; opened 3d settings; selected "managed 3d settings"; clicked on tab "program settings" clicked on Add button and added the AcesHigh.exe command ( I did this by the copy command).  After adding the AcesHigh.exe command to Program Settings, I highlighted AcesHigh.exe and specified the settings (on the drop down menu) as follows:
    Anisotropic Filtering - - Application Controlled
    Antialiasing-Gamma Correction -- Use Global Setting (on)
    Antialiasing-Mod -- Application Controlled
    Antialiasing-Transparency -- Multi-Sampling
    Conformant Texture Clamp -- Use hardware
    Error Reporting -- Use Global Setting (off)
    Extension Limit -- Use Global Setting (off)
    Force Mipmaps -- Bilinear
    Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration -- Single Display Performance Monitor
    Stereo - Display Mode --  Use Vertical Interlace Monitor
    Texture Filtering-Anistropic Sample -- Off
    Texture Filtering-Negative LOD Bias -- Allow
    Texture Filtering-Quality -- Quality
    Texture Filtering-Trillnear Optimization -- On
    Threaded Optimation-- Use Global Setting (Auto)
    Triple Buffering -- On
    Texture Filtering --Anistropic Mip Filter Op -- Off
    Vertical Sync - Force On

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2008, 11:59:22 AM »
You really should turn the transparency anti-aliasing off - will help alot around trees, ect....

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »
see this thread and see if it helps any.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,231506.0.html

Could we get some utility to create cache for all relevant files (skins, hit sprites, damage holes, etc)? I mean, with the amount of skins and new graphics I got to fly months before I get rid of mini freezes.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2008, 12:35:16 PM »
   Anisotropic Filtering - - Application Controlled
    Antialiasing-Gamma Correction -- Use Global Setting (on)
    Antialiasing-Mod -- Application Controlled
    Antialiasing-Transparency -- Multi-Sampling
    Conformant Texture Clamp -- Use hardware
    Error Reporting -- Use Global Setting (off)
    Extension Limit -- Use Global Setting (off)
    Force Mipmaps -- Bilinear
    Multi-Display/Mixed GPU Acceleration -- Single Display Performance Monitor
    Stereo - Display Mode --  Use Vertical Interlace Monitor
    Texture Filtering-Anistropic Sample -- Off
    Texture Filtering-Negative LOD Bias -- Allow
    Texture Filtering-Quality -- Quality
    Texture Filtering-Trillnear Optimization -- On
    Threaded Optimation-- Use Global Setting (Auto)
    Triple Buffering -- On
    Texture Filtering --Anistropic Mip Filter Op -- Off
    Vertical Sync - Force On

Didn't help. Still getting hit sprite freeze on both systems. Overall performance fine.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2008, 04:20:01 PM »
I used to climb up offline to shoot a drone , really you don't have to as the field ack causes the same stutter the first time you shoot one .

Tried the fixes , did not help any .

I only have 4 total skins on my pc and I don't download them also just for the reasons that Waffle stated . Didn't like when the new skin would load .

This stutter is something else IMO from that . I am learning to live with it , it's no biggie .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
Didn't help. Still getting hit sprite freeze on both systems. Overall performance fine.

Any luck?

After dealing with it in FSO and some duels, it's really starting to bug me.
-AoM-

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
Ive done everything listed here and some.No matter what I do it doesnt go away.New AH install,lower settings ,higher settings,skins,no skins,custom sounds,stock sounds,turn everything off,turn everything on........................... ..........................

Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!