Author Topic: PBJ-1H  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
PBJ-1H
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
When the B-25s came out, I recall someone saying they were going to do the USN version of the B-25H as a skin. I can't recall who it was or locate the post now though. Its been a while, so is this project still in the works?

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: PBJ-1H
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 02:10:51 AM »
When the B-25s came out, I recall someone saying they were going to do the USN version of the B-25H as a skin. I can't recall who it was or locate the post now though. Its been a while, so is this project still in the works?

(Image removed from quote.)

I sent you a PM, that I'm not sure you received.  Anyway, VMB-613 was the only USMC squadron that flew the H model in combat.  I suggest you check out their site, at www.vmb-613.com for more information.  I was planning on doing "June Bug" (I made an error on the specific aircraft in my PM if you got it), but put it aside as my CM duties, personal life, and my aircraft design project are consuming all of my free time.

Feel free to do, as I think anything I did would pale in comparison to yours anyway.

<S>

Stoney
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:12:50 AM by Stoney »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 06:29:58 AM »
Thank you Stoney, I appreciate it. The plane I'm thinking of doing is "Love Bug" as shown below, which may be the one you meant. This aircraft was shot down on Feb 6 1945. 1st Lt Love and his crew were all lost.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Thank you Stoney, I appreciate it. The plane I'm thinking of doing is "Love Bug" as shown below, which may be the one you meant. This aircraft was shot down on Feb 6 1945. 1st Lt Love and his crew were all lost.

(Image removed from quote.)

You're correct.  It was Love Bug...I'm all gooned up apparently.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
Here is where I've got to with Love Bug. Its not quite finished yet, needs a few more paint chips etc. I'll post some in-game screenshots once it is done and when I've updated the copy of AH I use for skinning.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:43:13 PM »
Great stuff Greebo.  That's one that would get flown.

Did you notice on the website that the squadron actually removed the package guns and the top turret.  Must not have been much to shoot at :)

Looking forward to this one in game for the anti-shipping runs.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »
Looking good.  :aok

About the color on the cowl lips, are those be blue in the photo? They look like a much different color than the camoflage area, so maybe red on this aircraft? Or is the rest of her that much more faded?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »
Very nice work Greebo, I'm amazed at the level of detail and the well placed paint chips on the engines.  One thing irks me though, and it might just be me, but are the circles on top of the wings supposed to be that faded?  I'd up the opacity 2-4%, but then again you're far more experienced in this stuff than me :).
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »
Man, I'm glad you're doing it instead of me.  That looks great!  I could not have done nearly that good of a job.

HiTech

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 07:53:47 PM »
Looks brilliant!  Wtg!
Is there any chance that you'd upload them to the 'Aces high skin department' website so I can use them in offline missions?  It would make for some great movies :D 

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I've made a few changes and uploaded the skin to the AH Skin Department. http://www.ah-skins.com/
Note I had to save it as a B-26, as there is no listing for the B-25H.

Amongst other things I moved the markings above the fade layer, to give them a bit more contrast. Also added some paint chips on the leading edge of the wing.

The paint patch colour on the nose and cowlings is correct. I've been in contact with Robert Yanacek of www.vmb-613.com and that was one of the things I asked him. Apparently the coral dust from the airstrip at Kwajalein Atoll played havoc with the paint on these areas so they repainted them in Sea Blue, the same colour as the top of the aircraft. On the skin I created a paint patch layer and placed it above most of the paint fade and dirt wash layers, so it looked less aged. Robert has been a great help and also supplied me this profile, which shows the correct colours.

I don't think the lack of package guns or top turret should be an issue in getting the skin accepted. There were plenty of similarly painted PBJ-1Hs that did have the turret fitted. This aircraft did have the turret and package guns at first, the crew picture on Robert's site shows it.

Robert also gave me this link to a video clip of USAAF B-25Gs doing a cannon attack on Mille Atoll in the Marshall Islands. Mille was a popular target for VMB-613 as well. It is well worth a watch.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXRuby0OXao

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:48:56 PM by Greebo »

Offline CartoonFlyer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
Looks great. I admire your skills. Thanks.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 01:51:50 AM »
Looking very good Greebo. I'll definitely fly this one a lot :).
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:04:12 AM »
From the photo I'd say the non-specular sea blue could probably stand a tad more lightening, but I definitely know which skin I'll be using in the H.

:salute
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 05:57:12 AM »
Noticed your work made their website. Nice job. Hoping HT adds it to the skin list. What about Devil Dog? Or a PBJ skin for the other 25?  :salute :)