Author Topic: My high school makes the Drudge Report  (Read 1793 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Re: My high school makes the Drudge Report
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
vouchers

lazs

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
Well said. Where is crockett, midnight, arlo,  et al defending these people?

Silence...

Simmer down there Rip... i just got here... Allow me to save you from your backward right-wing thinking.  ;)

*Ahem* 

I happen to think schools ought to bring in veteran's and allow them to speak to kids.   :eek: I'm guessing here, but I think what the parents had a problem with was the organizations mission of
rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
that can easily be construed as having a political agenda behind it.

They were probably unaware that discussions between the group and the school to insure against turning it into a political debate
"We had a number of conversations at the beginning of this to make sure our message was in keeping with the traditions of a public school," Hegseth said.

It's kind of a pity though... i know several veteran's who are multiple amputee's, and folks with severe and profound PTSD that are amazingly inspiring, and truly show the meaning of duty and honor.  They would be great to bring to a school, and meet with the kids.

Does anyone know about Hegseth's organization?  I'm not familiar with them.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
So, what will be the "moral" of their stories?  If it is political, then I wouldn't want it at my school, unless it was done in political science class as a debate or such. :aok  To expose the whole school to a one sided view of the politics of these two wars would be doing the school an injustice.

There is no need for a "moral" for their stories. They were going there to discuss their first hand accounts over in Afganistan and Iraq and being in the military, not to discuss if the war is right or wrong. The parents that called to complain made it political because they don't want soilders telling their kids what it's really like over there or what being in the military is like.

Many of the people that came and talked to my classes when I was in school didn't have a moral to their stories either. They just talked about what they did and saw regarding whatever subject we happened to be studying at the time. Nothing can educate someone more than listening and paying attention to someone who has first hand experiance.

The school did those students an injustice by allowing a few parents who's political beliefs don't let them agree with the war deny all those students a chance to learn first hand what is really going on over there. That is what is wrong with this story.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »
Hornet,
I think Vets should be allowed to speak at public schools.  Just like police, firefighters, etc...  I do support having military representatives and vets speak to our kids and want my two boys to listen to these speakers.

I'm not sure this group's message is just to talk about their experiences as soldiers though, unless your research shows something different than mine....

Their message is simple: Too many of their friends and comrades fell under fire to leave Iraq too early.
The Vets for Freedom "Heroes Tour" made a stop Tuesday in Tucson, one day before the fifth anniversary of the start of the war.
Four Iraq war veterans argued the U.S. should keep on fighting before a friendly crowd of about 50 at the American Legion John P. Burns Post 36, 5841 E. 22nd St. 

Link to article http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/local/80107.php

I realize this is to an American Legion Post, but it's what I found in a quick search.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »
Four Iraq war veterans argued the U.S. should keep on fighting before a friendly crowd of about 50 at the American Legion John P. Burns Post 36, 5841 E. 22nd St. 

And why shouldn`t they be allowed to voice their opinions at an American Legion post?
They damn sure deserve it.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
Did I say that?

Of course I didn't.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »
 Just another slap to our soldiers faces from a bunch of nancy boy tards.Surprised the ACLU didnt lead the charge.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Rip, We just had one of the Tuskegee(sp?) Airmen pilots come to our school and talk to us about his/their experience a few months ago.  :salute
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »
Perhaps the school should make the students read the list of 4000+ soldiers killed in Iraq. Or would you guys consider that political?

I have no problems with vets speaking to students, unless it becomes a recruiting drive in cognito. If they want to recruit, do it in an open manner.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »
I understand exactly why the principal canceled- political presentations are inappropiate in public schools. Let's put it this way- would you want an anti war group like code pink speaking before the student body? Because unless you'd have no problem with that you have no right to gripe.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »
No wonder is it I hate liberals and PC democrats?    :mad:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »
Well said Airhead.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »
Perhaps the school should make the students read the list of 4000+ soldiers killed in Iraq. Or would you guys consider that political?

I have no problems with vets speaking to students, unless it becomes a recruiting drive in cognito. If they want to recruit, do it in an open manner.

what other purpose would the military have for sending troops to talk to schools. Of course it's about recruiting. If you want to consider this a political issue you need to consider better than half the stuff they teach in schools these days political.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
Would most of you guys be as supportive of this group speaking at the school as well?

http://www.vaiw.org/vet/index.php

shamus

http://www.vetsforfreedom.org/heroestour/tour_stops.aspx

Both seem to be unaffiliated with the military

just wondering.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:51:42 PM by Shamus »
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »
Airhead, some would consider political presentations to be inappropriate in public....period.  I would also point out that if Code Pink had been invited to speak in a public school, and then the administration denied them the right to speak because of parental protests, we would be having an entirely DIFFERENT discussion right now.

These veterans have been speaking in public places and in schools all over the country, and as far as I can determine, there have been no inappropriate actions on their part.  If we follow your line of reasoning on this subject, then we should refrain from inviting any government official, soldier, diplomat, mayor, judge, fireman, minister, or atheist to speak in our schools for fear that they "might" make a political statement.

Soldiers have been speaking in our schools for about two centuries.  That it has only now been seen as inappropriate comments negatively about our "modern" values.