Author Topic: My high school makes the Drudge Report  (Read 1784 times)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Re: My high school makes the Drudge Report
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »
Perhaps the school should make the students read the list of 4000+ soldiers killed in Iraq. Or would you guys consider that political?

I have no problems with vets speaking to students, unless it becomes a recruiting drive in cognito. If they want to recruit, do it in an open manner.

While we're at it, let's just start listing off all of the Americans that died in every war we ever participated in.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
Over 40,000 in the U.S. are killed by automobile deaths each year.

We should read their names in school and march screaming "No Cars for Oil!" and "It's the Cars, Stupid!"
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »
Over 40,000 in the U.S. are killed by automobile deaths each year.

We should read their names in school and march screaming "No Cars for Oil!" and "It's the Cars, Stupid!"

400.000 will die in the USA this year of smoking related causes.  Where is the outcry?

Why does anyone fear soldiers telling students what war is really about?  Do the liberals fear the soldiers might highlight some of the good things being done in Iraq and Afghanistan?  Can't have that now can we? 

Woe be the country if students learned that soldiers die in battle, that friends are lost and our troops suffer from seeing their friends dieing.   Our society might collapse if the students see the real faces of soldiers, and hear the good and the bad.  Worst of all, students might find out that young men lose limbs, lose eyesight, and yet display amazing courage and resilience in the face of hardship. 

Can't have the students learning the soldiers were sitting where they now sit just a year or two before.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
Yeah, it's only 4000 of our finest. Why tell their story, eh? Let's just belittle their sacrifice in favor of politics.

You guys make me ill.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »
Demoncrats.
 :t

I wasn't aware that 74% of the voting population was democrat, which is the percentage of Americans opposed to the "War"  in Iraq. 

I do find it sad that those students don't have an opportunity to talk with those Veterans.  They don't seem to be on a recruiting drive, after all. 
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
While we're at it, let's just start listing off all of the Americans that died in every war we ever participated in.

Yes, that WOULD be a good start sir.  Or better yet, all the names of the men and women that lived and left pieces of themselves in another country.  Maybe then we won't race headfirst into these things without thought, without a plan. 

War is no joke, even if Mr. Cheney thinks "it's Ok, they volunteered, after all." 
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »
Yeah, it's only 4000 of our finest. Why tell their story, eh? Let's just belittle their sacrifice in favor of politics.

You guys make me ill.
Amen.God rest their unappreciated used for political gain souls. :frown:
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
Yes...honor their sacrifice...speak their names in reverance.  That's something we should all do...school kids included....regardless of our political leanings....

....and then explain to me why some of their living comrades-in-arms should be denied the right to speak at a public school.  Is it because they "might" speak out in favor of our presence in Iraq?  Would you feel differently about this if they were likely to make anti-war statements? 

Sorry guys, but some of you sound as if you studied dramatics under MacArthur.  The wrangling over the reading of the names of the 4000 casualties totally sidesteps the topic of this thread.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »
I wasn't aware that 74% of the voting population was democrat, which is the percentage of Americans opposed to the "War"  in Iraq. 

You know, that`s pretty interesting considering that I, nor any of my family, friends  or people I have spoken to have ever been asked or polled on this subject.
We have been having an ongoing discussion around here about this very fact as of late.
Can`t really see how 74% percent could be an accurate.........or even close, not to mention truthful figure when
it doesn`t include all Americans..............just the ones to support said poll.
Polls will always turn out in tune with the  intended outcome of the poll takers when those polled are selected to do so.

Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »
Airhead, some would consider political presentations to be inappropriate in public....period.  I would also point out that if Code Pink had been invited to speak in a public school, and then the administration denied them the right to speak because of parental protests, we would be having an entirely DIFFERENT discussion right now.

No we wouldn't- I'd be saying the exact same thing. Public schools have a captive and impressionable audiance and they have no right to present political or social values to our children. I disagree with condom handouts to middle school children under the same grounds I disagree with ANY political group, with an agenda, adressing MY child and telling MY child what his/her values should be while my child is in schooltime.

As far as I'm concerned the principal did the correct thing, provided he holds the same standards to any political group wishing to preach to a captive audiance that has no choice but to listen to a two or three hour spiel...In fact I'd like to think the guy's somewhat conservative, and he made this choice based upon the path of least resistance.

Smart move, IMO.

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:52 AM »
I didn't read where the principle was concerned about the vet's preaching a pro war agenda. It seemed he was more apprehensive about the potential for a circus to erupt as the pro and anti camps co opted the visit for their own purposes.

I agree. It's not his job to arbitrate a political dialog, he's there to maintain a productive and constructive learning environment for all the students. Playing host to a demonstration is probably not part of that mandate. And being a stalwart advocate of the constitution is not part of his job description. 

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »
moray..  are you saying that 74% of Americans believe that we should just cut and run from Iraq?  Or, are you saying that 74% wish we weren't there or 74% don't like war? or what? 

I am opposed to car crashes but..  I don't want to do anything about it.   I can think of nothing that can be done except maybe better roads that I would support.

lazs

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2008, 11:02:55 AM »
moray..  are you saying that 74% of Americans believe that we should just cut and run from Iraq?  Or, are you saying that 74% wish we weren't there or 74% don't like war? or what? 

I am opposed to car crashes but..  I don't want to do anything about it.   I can think of nothing that can be done except maybe better roads that I would support.

lazs

I'm not saying anything.  It is a running statistical analysis of American cross sections that between 66% and 74% of the population is opposed to the Iraq "war".   If you need clarification... here you go.

op·pose      /əˈpoʊz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pohz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -posed, -pos·ing.
–verb (used with object) 1. to act against or provide resistance to; combat. 
2. to stand in the way of; hinder; obstruct. 
3. to set as an opponent or adversary. 
4. to be hostile or adverse to, as in opinion: to oppose a resolution in a debate. 
5. to set as an obstacle or hindrance. 
6. to set against in some relation, esp. as to demonstrate a comparison or contrast: to oppose advantages to disadvantages. 
7. to use or take as being opposite or contrary. 
8. to set (something) over against something else in place, or to set (two things) so as to face or be opposite to one another. 
–verb (used without object) 9. to be or act in opposition
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »
A handful of liberals spoils education for the masses. Sad, and typical behavior from the left.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html

Sad, Typical behavior from you sir.  I'm struggling to find anywhere where it says that the negative respondants were liberals.  Until you have that information, your opinion is merely non-reality supported conjecture, which is more indicative of your ideology than the ideology of those involved in the story you presented.

More likely, just parents who don't like the idea of their kids joining and getting killed, of both liberal AND conservative backgrounds. Being in either background doesn't negate inate desire that  you don't want your child to end up in harm's way....at least I hope not.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:45:19 AM by MORAY37 »
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
A handful of liberals spoils education for the masses. Sad, and typical behavior from the left.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html

Also, interesting how many liberals live near you.  This is your voter breakdown from Bush/Gore.  You seem to be in a very "Red" area.  (Forest Lake, MN)

% Bush % Gore
            57%      43%
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:41:59 AM by MORAY37 »
-Ambrose Bierce