Author Topic: My high school makes the Drudge Report  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
My high school makes the Drudge Report
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »
A handful of liberals spoils education for the masses. Sad, and typical behavior from the left.

Principal cancels tour of heros.

Forest Lake High's principal said the decision was spurred by concerns that the presentation was more political than educational.

By ALLIE SHAH , Star Tribune

Last update: March 25, 2008 - 8:27 AM

A national tour featuring decorated veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan won't be stopping at Forest Lake Area High School today as planned, after school leaders abruptly canceled the visit.

Steve Massey, the school principal, said the decision to cancel was prompted by concerns that the event was becoming political rather than educational and therefore was not suitable for a public school.

He said the school had received several phone calls from parents and others, some of whom indicated that they may stage a protest if the event took place.

"The event was structured to be an academic classroom discussion around military service. We thought we'd provide an opportunity for kids to learn about service in the context of our history classes," Massey said. "As the day progressed, it became clear that this was becoming a political event ... which would be inappropriate in a public setting.

"We decided to cancel," Massey said. Organizers of the National Heroes Tour then scrambled to relocate the event to the American Legion building in Forest Lake. The visit, which U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, had been scheduled to attend, is sponsored by Vets for Freedom, a national organization run by Pete Hegseth, a 1999 graduate of Forest Lake Area High School who served with the 101st Airborne in Iraq in 2005-06.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:26:19 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Re: My high school makes the Drudge Report
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »
I just read that, very disappointing. 
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
Some people need to be shot and if they have their way probably will be.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »
Its only political if you let it get political and the school principal just made it a political statement by allowing a few whiny prettythang, yankee, liberal, fru fru dumbprettythanges...well you get the picture.

Political Correctness: Something that has screwed up the very foundation of our nation and created a society of whiny biatches.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »
So what are the kids learning in school these days? Way back when I was in school we used to have guest speakers come in all the time. War vets, doctors, police officers, truck drivers, hell you name it and we probably had someone come into our school to talk about it. I learned more from those folks than I ever did from reading a book.

We had a lady come into my American History class when we were going over WWII. She was a Jew and survived one of the Nazi concentration camps. I can't remember which one but she sat there for the entire hour telling us about growing up in Nazi Germany and going to the camp and all the things they did to her and her family. That was learning about history. It was real and in our face and made you really think.

Now we come to today, and there are soilders willing to go out and talk to the kids about what is going on in the real world, and parents are having a fit about it?? Some people go way overboard about trying to protect their kids from the harsh lessons of reality, and then they wonder why when their kids get out on their own for the first time they go nuts.

It's sad, very sad.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »
This is more than disapointing it's the inability to recognize history. It's another example that some people cannot seperate the troops from the the policy makers. Rather than express themselves to the decision makers they would rather take it out on those who have to carry out policy, not make it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
He said the school had received several phone calls from parents and others, some of whom indicated that they may stage a protest if the event took place.

Some of whom would have had a very unpleasant day I suspect.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »
This is more than disapointing it's the inability to recognize history. It's another example that some people cannot seperate the troops from the the policy makers. Rather than express themselves to the decision makers they would rather take it out on those who have to carry out policy, not make it.
Well said. Where is crockett, midnight, arlo,  et al defending these people?

Silence...

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
These days they have Pat the sexually ambiguous police person come out and talk about sensitivity training.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »
Demoncrats.
 :t
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:15:40 PM by AWMac »

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »
Well said. Where is crockett, midnight, arlo,  et al defending these people?

Silence...

They're probably at a Code Pink demonstration, or maybe protesting at a Soldiers funeral or just returning from disrupting a Catholic Mass during Easter and throwing fake blood.

Mac

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
So what are the kids learning in school these days? Way back when I was in school we used to have guest speakers come in all the time. War vets, doctors, police officers, truck drivers, hell you name it and we probably had someone come into our school to talk about it. I learned more from those folks than I ever did from reading a book.

We had a lady come into my American History class when we were going over WWII. She was a Jew and survived one of the Nazi concentration camps. I can't remember which one but she sat there for the entire hour telling us about growing up in Nazi Germany and going to the camp and all the things they did to her and her family. That was learning about history. It was real and in our face and made you really think.

Now we come to today, and there are soilders willing to go out and talk to the kids about what is going on in the real world, and parents are having a fit about it?? Some people go way overboard about trying to protect their kids from the harsh lessons of reality, and then they wonder why when their kids get out on their own for the first time they go nuts.

It's sad, very sad.
So, what will be the "moral" of their stories?  If it is political, then I wouldn't want it at my school, unless it was done in political science class as a debate or such. :aok  To expose the whole school to a one sided view of the politics of these two wars would be doing the school an injustice.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
SkyRock yer a Senior now right? 
*let's see 3rd grade 4th time, yep thats 12 Years.*
 :D
Mac

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
Disgraceful.  That principal is a spineless tard.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
Here's my big 7th grade project from last year:
http://www.ihmgradeschool.com/2006_07/student/veterans/veterans.htm

And the year before:
http://www.ihmgradeschool.com/2005_06/student_made/veteran_reports/7th_veteran_reports.htm

I'll publish this year's reports in a few weeks.