Author Topic: Charles Heston passes away  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Re: Charles Heston passes away
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:41 AM »
So are you saying that newer actors and the actors back then acted the same way infront of a camera? I think not. Huge difference.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2008, 05:12:37 AM »
No - I think if you look at the John Waynes, Robert Mitchums, Henry Fondas of the 50's and 60's - they played it pretty much like the Gene Hackmans, Clint Eastwoods of the 70's, and the Tom Cruises, Morgan Freeman of the 90's....they play it pretty much the same way - its themselves = same characterisation in differing roles...Heston was the same - it doesn't mean they're not entertaining - but hardly significant or groundbreaking like early Brando, DeNiro, Pacino or even Edward Norton etc...
I think modern actors actually do need to "act" (Brad Pitt can act btw) but theres still plenty around doing the same thing every film

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2008, 05:21:16 AM »
RIP Heston.
BTW, he was a gunner and radio operator in the US airforce late in WW2.
 :salute
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:25 AM »
No thanks ~ that should be reserved for the Hestons of the world :)
I agree but yes...You can buy your way into the star walk of fame.I didnt know that till a stink was raised when Britney got her's.I think,but dont quote me on it,that she needed so many names on a petition and a modest sum of cash but someone else had to request it.Aparently you cant buy one yourself but you can pay a friend to.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2008, 08:58:26 AM »
Norton ground-breaking? huh?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »

My favorite.  I don't have the 4 disk collector's edition.  Even so, the special features on the single DVD version are outstanding.  No one digs Ben Hur or that black and white movie where Heston and Orson Wells star?.  Wells is a corrupt small town sheriff and Heston a Mexican DEA/Border agent.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
nelson.. one of Hestons favorite films was "Will Penny"  you really need to see that if you think that all he could do was "overact"

I would say the new breed of actors are the ones who overact.. they have anger fits over nothing and weep at the drop of a hat.

Heston carried himself with a dignity few modern actors can manage.

Those who think that they know his politics and don't agree..   here is a short speech by him.. probly more than you have ever heard of him except from some lefty making fun of him... it is a short read.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/charltonhestonculturalwar.htm

If you still don't agree with his politics then I would like to know why.   perhaps it is because you see everything as a fuzzy, out of focus gray area and can't take a stand or tell right from wrong.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
Well. right and wrong.
While disagreeing with Heston on some issues, I take my hat of for the character in the case of others, as well as looking at him as one of the great old ones.
(Jimmy Stewart being one, Gregory Peck, and on and on)
Sadly this thread has been hijacked .... now let it not be so ,so again, RIP Heston  :salute
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
1. Enjoyed many of his movies.
2. The news said he went from left to right politically based on his support of civil rights in the 50's-60's and his 2nd amendment stance later on. I disagree. Civil rights and 2nd amendment rights are all part of the grand plan to promote individual freedom. This kind of activism is niether left nor right as far as I'm concerned, just necessary.
3. The walk of fame didn't "just" become cheap. I dare anyone to walk Hollywood blvd. and recognize over 60% of the names. Stars on the sidewalk have been a publicity attraction since their inception.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »
Boy, you take a weekend off from the o'club and miss all the fun.

Heston was one of the greats.  May he RIP.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »
I tried to post earlier when I first heard the news, but the board kept rejecting my posts. Chuck Heston was a Man's man.  :salute
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
I tried to post earlier when I first heard the news, but the board kept rejecting my posts.
You've never been a person to take a hint. :)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »
Loved him, he was great.

~AoM~

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »
  No one digs Ben Hur or that black and white movie where Heston and Orson Wells star?.  Wells is a corrupt small town sheriff and Heston a Mexican DEA/Border agent.

"Touch of Evil" 1958
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »
He belonged to a generation of actors that over-acted. He was among the "worst" of them in that respect. As i said, I liked alot of his movies but thats it. Sorry for not beeing part of his fanbase. :rolleyes:

You've GOT to be kidding. Morgan Freeman is the only actor that comes to mind in comparison to the actors of the 50's and 60's.

I would like to see how badly Tom Cruise, George Clooney, or Brad Pitt would screw up a remake of Ben Hur. Oh thats right, thier last couple of movies have been bombs.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group